Forums
April 25, 2024, 08:03 PM

Author Topic: TUS current state and your help  (Read 10614 times)

Online MonkeyIsland

TUS current state and your help
« on: October 22, 2012, 06:56 AM »
I had some talks with some of the members, I think it is something that our community must know.

I coded this website for W:A, nothing else. The process took me 4 years of literally non-stop coding. In order to achieve that, I turned TUS into a part of my everyday life otherwise it was impossible to reach this level. The SMF forum software alone has been modified 486 times in 75 files in order to function the way we need. That's excluding all the individual parts like leagues, cups, challenges, maps ... and there are still many things in progress and many things that is on the list but their coding hasn't been started yet.

I want you to know that all of this is to promote this game. Some of our users have completely forgotten about that. The question to me is "Is TUS presentable to people outside?" We've all spent so much time on it, but if someone ask us about what it is, can we safely refer them to TUS forums? Although there are many good posts and boards on TUS, to me the answer is no.
Some people are having fun on TUS but they are misusing this website not to mention that their fun is actually taking away other people's fun and even more our possible newcomers.
We need newcomers. That's blood for every community. Not that I'm not happy with the current users but because a community having limited number of users will eventually die. nino was an active user once and he is not anymore. LionHeart too. So was pr.  Not all of you would stay forever, that's life.

Many times I've asked people to post on the forums and they really didn't want to because they were afraid somebody pick on them.

So I created the Spam Assassin group. We will delete spam, insults or even posts that are provoking or have the potential. We do that already, but with this new group we're focusing more and try to deliver a healthier community. I'm asking you to don't wait for a mod to spot a bad post. Use the "report post" link or pm mods whenever you see a bad post. TUS is made to care of your w:a needs, it won't hurt you return the favor and take care of it.

This is a part of TUS statistics:
https://www.tus-wa.com/stats/

You can see general statistics about how TUS is working and at the bottom of the page, you can checkout our detailed page views or new games in each day, each month and each year.
You see that we've grown each year. We've had over a million visits each month for 15 months in a row! You can help us get better, you have understood this game so you are a part of this community. Make your stay matter and get more involved!
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Pleiadian

Re: TUS current state and your help
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 07:19 AM »
Nicely said.

It's great to be apart of this community, it's the only game I play.

I always promote this website on wormnet when people ask about TUS. I'll keep doing so because a lot of newcomers are unaware of it.

Sharing knowledge is a must.

Can this website be advertised on wormnet?

Offline Hussar

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 07:32 AM »
maybe someone got idea's how to get more newcommers?

Offline Pleiadian

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 07:48 AM »
maybe someone got idea's how to get more newcommers?

Viral video?

Offline Hussar

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 07:55 AM »
maybe lets chose one of showoffs video > add then some TUS slides or informations, MI will put it on first page, so all of us will be have easy acces for this video so we could click on it everyday X times, YouTube after many vievs will add comercialls, so video will be more popular. More vievs = even more vievs = newcommers .

:D

btw its curious, am writing this msg in worst time for AG# and TUS.
there are 8 of us + 56 guests  :o:

56 Guest, 8 Members (0 Friends)
Active members in last 15 minut:
Berria, ANO, Tomi, Chelsea, Masta, Pleiadian, Breeze, Statik

Who are they........???????  MI u need add in front page using big letters:
JOIN, and change ur destyny

or something
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:01 AM by Berria »

Offline Pleiadian

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 08:23 AM »
I do know some people when registering get stuck on the question where you must write the ultimate site backwards.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 09:23 AM »
Took you 4 years to realize an  unmoderated democratic forum is not worth anyone's time.

Better late than never.

MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline HHC

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 09:26 AM »
It was handled in a pretty good way IMO. Banning lots of people is never a good way to solve things (FB cough).

Forums are a little dead lately. Maybe cause of the IM-system. Most of our TdC nonsense goes there now, while our forums are pretty empty.

Could be that it is also the reason the few threads that remain here are 'flamey' in nature, or share your music/video/funny pics kind of threads. Rather than people arranging or organizing things.

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Well i'd say it's a whole thing in my opinion.
Navigation, text (rules...), League (too many league), information (not saying there are too much information but it is splitted in too many sub menu), non welcome community.
I agree it is a hell of a work and it needs a professional. I already suggested a bit about the menu on the left (https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/tus-discussion/wn-suggestion-16878/) but it appears people don't really care. I guess it is because they are used to it.

Offline Pleiadian

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 11:14 AM »
I love the drop down shoutbox and side panel.

How do you remove expired pending games?

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 11:14 AM »
people don't really care. I guess it is because they are used to it.

well fada you've just highlighted the #1 problem with a free democracy like this.

It completely stops progress. People are never going to vote for new things because they like old things. This is why progress should be handled by the community leaders and not put in hands of everyone equally."
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Peja

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 12:17 PM »
i really dont get ropas free democracy comparison. even mi says the polls are just a feedback, and will never result in a direct change. tus is rather lead by a nomenklatura.

i dont think u get newcomers simply by a layout modification or with clean forum threads. i think the page isnt the key factor.  its about how the community treat unknown players who cross their ways in wormnet.
i really admire fada husk and ray in these things. i think if we are nice to people joining our hosts, explain them shortly thats it is a league game in order to offer them some funner games later, we can achieve more  than we can do on this page.

i know i often kick out random guys,  so no need to play the moralizer here, but im trying to change. ofc course its nice to see positive changes on the page, and people willing to help. but this shouldnt be main part if we want to increase our community. direct contact is always better than trying to convince someone with external stuff like homepages.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 12:25 PM »

You guys are all full of it.

You're trying to sell us a blatant lie and expect people to really buy into that crap?

Forums are shit because the community has nothing to say. People are not scared to post on the forum, they just rather use the shoutbox, the TUS IM or snooper for their one liners and stupid 4chan pictures. Because every time a decent argument pops up it's ruined by the lack of moderation and partydism.

But yeah, blame it on the community. We're stopping the newcomers from coming because we're so elitist and shit. Bullshit. I've seen this same posts pop up in every single league, every single time, rinse and repeat. Rinse. And repeat.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Online MonkeyIsland

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 01:37 PM »
@Berria,
About half of that must be search engines spiders.

@Pleiadian,
Pending games has a bug. I haven't fixed that yet. When fixed, it will only show your current cups.

@fada,
Your idea was flawed because you removed links depending on your own taste. There are users who value other parts. The positive thing I could get from your idea is to make the menus optional so that people add/remove the link they like.

@Ray,
TUS DOES need a designer. Not only that, TUS needs many other things too. But the whole thing you see today is a volunteer work. TUS you see today is the best I could do with my spare time. TUS needs "do"ers, we are aware of our flaws.
For example, almost all of the points you made about leagues basic info page are valid. You are the one who gave me the leagues rule page, remember?
If that page has grammar mistakes, we could use your correction. This is how TUS has functioned. volunteer work. You have helped TUS a lot, you know that already :)

@ropa,
We would love to see your design/modification for TUS design.

@topic,
I never said only because of some bad forum posts we are losing newcomers. I said a bad environment has its own negative effects. I have my own long list of things to fix/code on TUS. It really keeps me going to see people are actually getting the most out of it.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline GreatProfe

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 03:19 PM »
About behavior, MI said all.

About the TUS website design, I agree too. We need 1 design clean and funcional.

I have 1 more viewpoint to bring up here. I guess Team17 should make TUS the official WA communitty. We are the people who keep live the Worms Armageddon game. Team17 should support TUS with struture and prizes ($$$ to create championships and stuff). Also much ppl have many problems to download and play the WA because Team17 doesnt want to lose the rights. It stimulates the search for a crack (and illegal) game version. Okay, the CD costs few money and there are isos... However, It's boring to find a secure version of the game in da Web.

Tus members deserves advantages to play this game. WA is nothing without (t)us.