Forums
April 24, 2024, 03:27 PM

Author Topic: TUS v2.0 is released  (Read 10798 times)

Offline MonkeyIsland

TUS v2.0 is released
« on: September 02, 2012, 06:19 PM »
Hello,

I apologize for the delay and down time you encounter. This is TUS2 you've been waiting for.
As it looks TUS is not finished yet but since we were down like 40 hours I released it and I'll continue the rest online.
There are some parts missing like themes, online language modifier or chess/mini games. I think within a month everything gets to be stabled.

TUS v2.0 plan started because of big server lags. At first it was only an optimization for database. Optimizing TUS database queries led to optimization of main TUS framework and because of that the whole system got rewritten. It is literally a total rewrite of TUS in many ways:

• Server got moved from USA to Netherlands.
  • Hardware got improved.
  • Operating system got changed.
  • PHP and MySQL both got upgraded.
  • SMF changed to 2.0.2
  • TUS both source and HTML output got rewritten.

Previous TUS got stable through the years, since this is the same features but all rewritten, there's great chance you see bugs fly all over the place. Therefore I've created a board just for reporting bugs. Create a new topic for each bug you encounter. This is a solve board, meaning when I fix the bug your topic will be marked as solved. Having that aside, I have the latest TUS database available so that if something major happens ruining stuff, I can roll back to the beginning of TUS2. (very unlikely though)

The more you've known TUS before, the more you're gonna notice changes everywhere. Some pages like home page are not finished and just a sample how they would look like. Hopefully in the coming month everything gets to be on track again.
I'll start writing articles about new changes and work on a full upgrade list. My main concern is still a faster website free of lags.

Enjoy :)

Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Wolfgang

Re: TUS v2.0 is released
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 07:01 PM »
nice
16:26: Husks> tell now xD more demon soul cannot be wolfy MAYBE??? 
16:26: TaG`Wolfgang> DUNNO IF IM WOLFY OR A DEMON 
16:27: Husks> GO DEMON AWAY FROM MY FRIENDMATE WOLFGANG CONCHETUMARE!!!!!!!!!!1111111111 LEAVEEEEEE 
16:27: TaG`Wolfgang> xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 07:13 PM »
Very damn awesome job MI!

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 07:15 PM »
tyyyy

really MI its goooood gift for birthday xDDDD

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 07:18 PM »
Just awesome, vgj MI and thx :)

Offline HHC

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 07:49 PM »
Looks even better than Impo's design!  :D 8)

No really, it rocks!

Offline Anubis

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Duh, hate to ruin the thread of approval, but I freaking hate the theme. There will be other ones I hope? With this one I doubt I can stand it long here. :(
MonkeyIsland - minimal - pending.

The Worst Part is that it changes everytime you move a page around.  :-X
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:40 PM by DeathInFire »

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 08:40 PM »
Duh, hate to ruin the thread of approval, but I freaking hate the theme. There will be other ones I hope? With this one I doubt I can stand it long here. :(

Try to Log Out and Log In again. Before I did that, everything looked really ugly. Now it's way better, good job ;D

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline Anubis

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 08:43 PM »
Tried logout and login. Still switching background like mad. The notification for "new" posts is also weird and not very intuitive. :P Think we had WormChange as "new" posts icon which was great. Or was it only in the forum overview? can't remember. But I bet it all comes down to the bad style atm that is used. :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:44 PM by DeathInFire »

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Anubis there are 6 other designs pending.

For now go to your profile => Look and layout, you can tweak this design to stop changing.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Thanks! That helped a lot. Using Hospital now which is easy on the eyes. :)

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Looks even better than Impo's design!  :D 8)
Its really looks better, but my design had some secret functions from tus3.0 ;D

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 10:14 PM »
woww, I know that still some more modifications to do, but
vnnnnnnnnnnn job!!
Moove server to Brasil aee
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline chakkman

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 11:15 PM »
Nice job on TUS 2!

Just had some weird  thing though... on the front page, i clicked on "Show full list" in the window with the overall classic league standings, and it opened an ad in a new tab.  :o I hope this is not a normal thing... you may ask again for donations anytime, no need for ads. :)

Edit: Seems to be a bad link there...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 11:17 PM by chakkman »

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 11:22 PM »
Alright, time for constructive criticism:
-I really like almost all of the designs, however, the site feels slower than ever, I really can't stand the idea of anything unnecessary moving on the page, it's just a needless use of memory. I don't think waves or clouds are needed, I'd definitely not recommend movement as the default.
-'Forums and Posts' in My Panel should just be Forums.
-Pending Games erroneously gives games where you've gotten default wins.
-There really needs to be a tab for Rules, both general and scheme specific. It's always been hard for people to find 'em. At the VERY least, needs to be under the Schemes tab.
-The Latest Posts box looks really weird with uneven spacing between words, might want to change that.
-I think both the TUS news box and the league achievements box below it are good additions, they give the impression that the league has things going on, probably good to attract new players.
-The site's header for these skins ought to be more centered, maybe a little more professional looking. Seems like it shouldn't be resting on that wavy bar.