Forums
April 24, 2024, 08:40 AM

Author Topic: Can you explain this Kamikaze!?  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Almog

Can you explain this Kamikaze!?
« on: December 07, 2016, 08:55 PM »
Hi guys,

I practiced offline to try and understand some Kamikaze stuff I haven't figured out yet.

Take a look at 1:20. The first worm undergoes kamikaze attack and drowns, and then the second worm (the attacked one) doesn't drown, as in, there's a land there. After a few turns I confirmed it wasn't a pixel or something- there's a complete land.

Any explanations?

Offline TheWalrus

Re: Can you explain this Kamikaze!?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 08:58 PM »
Hi guys,

I practiced offline to try and understand some Kamikaze stuff I haven't figured out yet.

Take a look at 1:20. The first worm undergoes kamikaze attack and drowns, and then the second worm (the attacked one) doesn't drown, as in, there's a land there. After a few turns I confirmed it wasn't a pixel or something- there's a complete land.

Any explanations?
its a well known bug, when kami distance equals water distance, it leaves 1 pixel of land even though the worm sinks.  its a 1 pixel floor all the way across the kami chute.

Offline h3oCharles

Offline Almog

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 09:05 PM »
Hah. ok.

You'd guess I'd know that after all those elites I played =p

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 04:09 AM »
The pixel floor can be even thicker too, up to like 15 pixels.

Also, kami can fail in another way: if you do kami standing on land that's 17, 33, 49, 65, 81, 97... pixels tall (every 16 pixels), kami will leave 1 pixel of land on the left and right sides (with no floor). So basically, it's good to have your opponent fall through the center to be safe, because it's hard to tell where those heights are. Replay here:

Another way to look at it: there's a 6.25% chance your kami hole will have those single pixels, so plan accordingly :0
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:14 AM by Mablak »

Offline nino

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 04:34 AM »
The pixel floor can be even thicker too, up to like 15 pixels.

Also, kami can fail in another way: if you do kami standing on land that's 17, 33, 49, 65, 81, 97... pixels tall (every 16 pixels), kami will leave 1 pixel of land on the left and right sides (with no floor). So basically, it's good to have your opponent fall through the center to be safe, because it's hard to tell where those heights are. Replay here:

Another way to look at it: there's a 6.25% chance your kami hole will have those single pixels, so plan accordingly :0

CyberShadow will be happy to know this! J/K  :D :D :D

Mablak you sure u did born on earth? u da man porra!!!
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 04:53 AM »
if you do kami standing on land that's 17, 33, 49, 65, 81, 97... pixels tall (every 16 pixels), kami will leave 1 pixel of land on the left and right sides (with no floor)
sounds like a very cool and very intentional feature, and also simple to calculate and common to use
I wonder why isn't it fixed yet, after like 18 years of updates
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 05:20 AM »
Hah, I don't know if anyone's ever complained about this, mostly because only a handful of us Intermediate players are aware of it. Or 'kind of' aware of it, dunno if anyone else has tested it besides me. It has caused some annoyance for sure, but super rarely.