Forums
April 19, 2024, 11:00 PM

Author Topic: ** PC Game Reviews **  (Read 8295 times)

Offline TheKomodo

** PC Game Reviews **
« on: June 25, 2011, 05:45 PM »
Feel free to post your own Game Reviews! - Please keep your Game Reviews in this thread "PC" only please.

Offline nino

Re: ** PC Game Reviews **
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 12:06 AM »
ill make the review of WA when i get some time, thats f@#!ing awesome!
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline Husk

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 09:15 AM »
wa? sounds like crap X:

Offline darKz

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:54 PM »
I'm pretty much into Starcraft 2 right now, anyone else playing? I spent 12 hours straight watching a SC2 stream the other day.. It's just that entertaining!

Could write a review about it when I got more time.

Btw one thing I thought of is, why stuff all the reviews in single threads? Would be way better to have PC / Nintendo / Sony subforums and have threads for every reviewed game there.. I don't see the point in your current system. :)
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline HHC

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Btw one thing I thought of is, why stuff all the reviews in single threads? Would be way better to have PC / Nintendo / Sony subforums and have threads for every reviewed game there.. I don't see the point in your current system. :)

I'd love to read a Starcraft 2 review.. might buy it myself  :)

Regarding the forum structure. It was my idea to do it this way. I was afraid there'd be close to 0 traffic if every game had a single thread dedicated to it and all the posts were divided over 10 subforums or something. With just 1 thread for each platform (and 1 new thread for each popular game) there was at least the guarantee of having a few active, lively discussions of several pages or more. We can always expand it in the future.
SC2 can be posted in a new topic btw. There'd be enough replies I reckon  ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:23 PM by HHC »

Offline darKz

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:53 PM »
Hah, fair point. I'll write a review then, but don't expect it for the next few days. :)
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Turko

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 01:42 AM »
  :D
Asbest`FAW> after match I will complain to ffie 
MOD`Dmitry> ok i too 
TdC--Turko> and ill get a lawyer

Spoiler! View

TdC''Turko> When will you fix your pc?
TaG'G> Never
TaG'G> Or maybe next week

Offline darKz

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 08:54 PM »

My review about Starcraft II - Wings of Liberty :)

First off, I got this game from my mate's granny - no shit - she asked him if he'd wanna have that game, knowing I'd buy it anyway he said "sure" even though he already had it, then gave it to me. So kudos to him! :D

Okay so the first thing I had to do was create a Battlenet account with the serial that comes with the game, basically you only need that serial to play because Blizzard offers SC2 as a free download on their website. Being logged in to your account is necessary to play though, you can't do anything without being logged in, not even watch replays.

The game interface is very simple, you feel comfortable while browsing leagues, looking for games, chatting with your buddies or in a public channel, it's really well done.

Those were just some things I noticed when I first started the game, so here goes the actual review. ;)

1.) The Campaign

I beat the campaign like 2 weeks ago, I think it was fun overall though sometimes too easy if you got some experience in WC3 or other RTS games.
I liked the nicely designed missions and the fact that it's gradually getting harder as new unit types are unlocked. You start mission 1 with Space-Marines only, then in mission 2 you can choose to unlock either Marauders or Reapers. That's basically how it goes, until you unlocked every unit there is.
There's always a main quest in a mission which you have to fulfill as well as one or more side quests which can be fulfilled optionally. Those side quests usually grant you science points if fulfilled which you can use in the Laboratory to buy upgrades for your units (those only affect the campaign by the way). Some of those upgrades and even some of the units are available in the campaign only.
What I didn't like about the campaign is that it's Terran race only. Out of the 3 SC2 races (Protoss, Terrans, Zerg) you only get to play Terrans to their full extent. You get to play some little Protoss scenarios too but they're not nearly satisfying. Luckily Blizzard announced an add-on to be released in early 2012. :)

2.) Scenarios

Starcraft II comes with 9 singleplayer scenarios, they're meant to improve the player's understanding about the different units, armor types, special abilities, micro-management, how to defend a rush (being attacked by another player very early in the game) and so on. Depending on your performance you get a bronze-, silver- or gold-medal. Those are saved in your profile as achievements - which is gonna be the next point.

3.) Achievements

One, if not the only reason to re-play the campaign are achievements. They're basically everywhere in SC2, there's literally tons of them. Achievements for the campaign, for the scenarios, for multiplayer and for playing the game in general. Some of them are easy to obtain, some of them extremely hard. You can manually showcase your achievements in your profile.
Sometimes upon unlocking an achievement you also unlock a new avatar picture. You can view the requirements of all the achievements in the game.

4.) Multiplayer

Yeah I put it fat and shiny because it's the best feature about the whole game.
There's many ways of playing a multiplayer game in SC2. For example you can search for a custom game. This will show public hosted games in a list, simply double-click one to join and you're good to go. You can also invite friends to join the game you're in or create a group with your mate before joining and have the game put you both into the same game automatically. There are dozens of custom maps with a wide variety of objectives, much like in WC3, also Tower Defenses and a map similar to DotA, but not nearly as good. :P

4.1) The Ladder

The probably most common way of playing a multiplayer game is to click that "find match" button.
Upon clicking it for the first time it will ask you to play 5 relegation matches.
Right, short interlude here - I'll have to explain that there are 7 different ladder leagues. They're Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platin, Diamond, Master and Grandmaster - Bronze being the lowest of them. Each league has infinite divisions (as many as needed), each division has 200 players at max. The only exception is the Grandmaster league which is limited to the top 200 of the respective server.
After playing your 5 relegation matches you'll be put into a league depending on your performance. Every time you play a ladder match now the system is gonna look for a player in your skill-range. You gain points for a win and lose points for a loss, your main goal is to reach the top 8 in your division to get promoted to the next league. Up till now it never took me longer than 2 minutes to find a ladder game. But then again I only played like 15 ladder matches so far.
You can play ladder matches in 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3 and even 4vs4 modes. Group up with friends or enter without group to play with strangers, it's fun playing with more than just 2 people. :)

5.) The Community

From what I experienced till now the SC2 community is pretty friendly overall, there's hardly ever someone who doesn't say "gg" after the game and generally you could say the people are willing to help out newbies. There's also black sheep among them, probably more than here on W:A, that's just my impression.
Starcraft 2 is one of the most popular games right now, hence there are lots of tournaments, championships and tons of prize money. The North American Star League being one of the biggest tournaments outside of Korea gave $65.000 to their first season winner PuMa.
As good as this sounds, the chances of ever hitting the top at a popular game like this is very close to zero. It's great entertainment and good for the learning progress to watch live streams of the pros though!

tl;dr - Starcraft 2 is a must have for everyone who likes RTS-games and serious competition. I can't really measure the long term fun factor as of now, but I think don't think the game will disappoint me anytime soon. :)

If I forgot to mention anything, feel free to ask!
~ Dubc 2010

Offline HHC

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Woot, nice review dark  :)

Did you make it into the silver league yet?  ???

What do you 'gather' btw, is there one resource or multiple ones? Is there any natural limit to the amount of troops you can produce or can you spam whole armies? And finally, what options are there when it comes to micromanaging your troops?

Offline darKz

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 09:39 PM »
Woot, nice review dark  :)

Did you make it into the silver league yet?  ???

What do you 'gather' btw, is there one resource or multiple ones? Is there any natural limit to the amount of troops you can produce or can you spam whole armies? And finally, what options are there when it comes to micromanaging your troops?

Cheers. :) I got ranked in Gold league after my five qualifying matches. I'm having a hard time there though..

You gather crystals (equivalent to gold in WC3) and vespene gas (equivalent to wood, but gathered from geysers, so it's a little more 'static' gathering). The natural limit to troops is 200 'supply', you gotta build structures to improve your maximum supply until it reaches the 200 mark. The lower units are 1 supply each (workers, basic soldier units) while more advanced units are 2 or even 4 supply each.
As for micromanaging, since there are close combat, ranged, ground as well as flying units and some of them have special abilities (in fact most of the advanced units do), it's very hard to have a perfect micromanagement. Even the Koreans still do mistakes every now and then. Simply clicking the attack button won't do any good in most cases, having a good micromanagement is crucial in the upper leagues. :)
~ Dubc 2010

Offline HHC

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 10:17 PM »
Woot, nice review dark  :)

Did you make it into the silver league yet?  ???

Cheers. :) I got ranked in Gold league after my five qualifying matches. I'm having a hard time there though..

You gather crystals (equivalent to gold in WC3) and vespene gas (equivalent to wood, but gathered from geysers, so it's a little more 'static' gathering). The natural limit to troops is 200 'supply', you gotta build structures to improve your maximum supply until it reaches the 200 mark. The lower units are 1 supply each (workers, basic soldier units) while more advanced units are 2 or even 4 supply each.
As for micromanaging, since there are close combat, ranged, ground as well as flying units and some of them have special abilities (in fact most of the advanced units do), it's very hard to have a perfect micromanagement. Even the Koreans still do mistakes every now and then. Simply clicking the attack button won't do any good in most cases, having a good micromanagement is crucial in the upper leagues. :)

Aha, sounds like a sweet game indeed. I'll check it out  :)

edit: on a sidenote: T17 is asking for beta testers for a new Worms title on Steam. I reckon it's gonna be the (improved?  ???) follow up of Worms: Reloaded. People who are interested can send an e-mail to T17, read about it here: http://forum.team17.com/showthread.php?t=46700
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:36 PM by HHC »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 11:32 PM »
It kinda sounds like way way advanaced AoE in space or summin lol, great review Rene +1 xDxD

Offline DumbBongChow

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 09:01 AM »
Great review darKz. Straight to the point and actually telling what makes this game actually good. :)

I like making myself Feel(S) Good Man!

Our Community: (Our newest, updated schemes are at this site!)
http://wosc.tk/

DBC's Legendary Profile:
http://worms2d.info/User:DumbBongChow
http://worms2d.info/User_talk:DumbBongChow

Offline HHC

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 01:26 PM »
Kai (aka DeathInFire aka Satanic Beard) recommended a game to me: Panzer Corps. He said it was a re-make of the classic Panzer General series (which I mentioned in the Top-5 thread) and he wanted to know if it were as good as they claimed it to be. So I bought it and pm'ed Kai my experiences. Since it's pretty much a whole review, I copied the text to here:

Panzer Corps
I played the first 4 or 5 of the tutorial scenarios now and I can say it's indeed a modern version of panzer general. The menu's are almost identical, they are more polished, but the options you have are the ones you have in PG as well. So it's pretty easy to navigate for experienced PG players.

The first thing that caught my eye is that you can only play the German side in WW2. While this is obviously the most interesting side to play with, I kinda would have liked to play with the Russians and western Allies as well. This goes for the campains that are available btw.. scenarios can be played as axis ánd allies.
There's a tutorial and 4 different campaigns all starting from different dates in the war.

When it comes to graphics: the units look splendid, although they are sometimes hard to keep apart (a 7.5 cannon looks identical to a 10.5 one, which can be confusing on the battlefield (you need to click them to discover how big the gun is)). The sounds they make are pretty sweet, the artillery pieces have a nice *punch*  ;D

What I like less about the graphics is that they are identical for every geographic region. There's 1 basic forest, 1 basic mountain, 1 basic city style etcetera. So fighting in Russia looks exactly like fighting in France  :(

Nevertheless, there's one big advantage to this, and that's the map editor that comes with the game. All you need to do is fill up a field with terrain tiles (each with different effects on fighting) and place units on it. That's all it takes to make a nice new map to fight on.
The map editor even allows you to import a background image that you can use as a support. In the manual for example the author loads a google earth image into the editor and then just places roads where there are roads, mountains where mountains etc. and in just a few steps of tile-placement he's created a map of the western USA. It seems very easy to do  :)

I do hope though that new tiles will be added later on. A few alternative forest or cities tiles would be nice, so that you can really make a distinction between western and Russian or Asian landscapes.

Fighting:
Fighting is like in PG. You get an indication of what the combat result is likely to be. It is slightly slower than in PG2 though: well placed defences and rivers that need to be crossed slow down your troops. It's also a shame your panzer can't continue its turn after it has destroyed a weak unit (I was able to kill like 5 units in the old game this way, but now my panzer can kill only 1 unit max per turn).

The artillery has kinda lost its importance. The range is limited so you need to bring them very near to the front.. and with the easiness with which units cross the map it's hard to keep them away from enemy tanks and troops. They do bring about 'suppresion' though which makes the enemy unit turn yellow or red: the next ground attack deals more damage now.

All in all the fighting is nice and all the information that you need is right there (you can see when a unit needs to refuel, needs ammo, etc.).
The basic 2d graphics make it easy to control and oversee the map. Movement possibilities are also nicely indicated (white dots where your unit can go without vehicle, and a truck where it can go with a vehicle).

So yeah. I'm happy with this game Kai. It's really a modern version of the good old Panzer General game, and what equally important.. made by people who know what the game needed. No fancy graphics or stuff like that, but extra information where it should be, an easy to use straight-forward map editor and a multiplayer option for people who got bored of the single player campaigns (which IMO will never happen as you can set up entire campaigns in the map editor.. with a slightly active online community this will soon end up with a shitload of downloadable scenarios and campaigns).

It's a shame they didn't include Chinese and Japanese units, but almost all the nations of the European theatre are there: German, Russian, English, US, French, Italian weaponry and a few basic units for each of the smaller European countries.

Two more things:
- a bit of a negative. I already mentioned the game was a little slower than normal. I was hoping this would go away as I got better and more capable of keeping speed in my advance. But not so. It's pretty damn hard to fight your way through pockets of resistance. The enemy has most cities backed up with either additional infantry or a tank + an AA gun + an artillery piece. And since you can't overrun weak troops anymore with your tanks it takes about 3 or 4 blows before a unit is finally destroyed. With 3 or 4 units per city you can imagine it takes a few turns before you've fully cleared the place.
It's not a problem turnwise as most scenarios are like 20 turns to use and the map is rather small, but still.. your advance is likely to get 'bogged' down in a series of sieges against fortified cities.

-The scale of the battles is also larger. Most scenarios have maps that span about half of France, half of Great Britain, etcetera. It's no longer a simulation of your advance against a town somewhere in the interior of Poland, but you're in command of the whole (nation-wide) campaign now.

The game therefore feels more like hmm.. civilization?? You get the idea your not just fighting enemy forces, but you're at war with a whole 'system' of defences.
In one scenario I had to invade England (Sealion). In this one scenario I first had to take out the English fleet and get my troops on English land, and after that there was a big war fought on the land itself, with airplanes flying from airfield to airfield and with my troops fighting for the city centres from which roads and railways enabled my troops to move around the island. The city centres also allowed me to place fresh troops near the front. So yeah.. there was a lot going on in my screen. I not only had to manage my tank spearhead, but also control the planes and the german fleet, while transporting troops with the roads and railways to the heat of the battle.  So yeah, there was a lot going on.
The scope of the battles is definitely a lot larger and more demanding than the original PG was.

So yeah, just saying the game is less 'light' than PG was. It's not just a matter of destroying the enemy as quickly as possible anymore.. you need to sit down with a cup of tea and manage an army, a navy, an air fleet ánd a transportation system all at once. It's not a matter of speed anymore, but it's a series of exhausting sieges that take you to victory.  :-[

Offline Breeze

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 12:03 PM »
I'm pretty much into Starcraft 2 right now, anyone else playing? I spent 12 hours straight watching a SC2 stream the other day.. It's just that entertaining!

Could write a review about it when I got more time.

I love SC2 and the community around it.  I watch HDstarcraft, LagTV, Day9 (only sometimes, his vids are little bit too long) and sometimes HuskyStarcraft (his voice gives me a headache).

I hate the ladder system though.  Pretty much, when I first started, I sucked.
I stopped playing and came back and now I can't get out of my league.

I am in silver.. but I only verse platinums and I beat them but I can't get promoted? :|
Bit annoying for me, but I also love playing this game with my mate. 2v2s are pretty crazy.

If you ever get a copy for the NA server let me know :D