Forums
April 24, 2024, 10:03 AM

Author Topic: A4 white paper drawings into maps?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Kangaroo

A4 white paper drawings into maps?
« on: October 01, 2014, 02:02 PM »
I draw alot with a normal black or bllue ballpoint pen on standard A4 paper and ive been wondering what would be a good way to turn into maps.

Would drawing say a shopper or Rope Race map on paper > Scanning it > then reversing colours to a negative work as a playable map same as how ive drawn it ?

jpg images

I can play CUP games  07:00-12:00 GMT weeksdays &  00:00-13:00 GMT on weekends...

Offline HHC

Re: A4 white paper drawings into maps?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 03:44 PM »
why not?

Prolly would need to fix the colours a bit, otherwise the black parts may contain pixels. And the coloured part would probably look better too if the colour is somewhat solid.

Offline Kangaroo

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 11:28 PM »
The reason I ask is because I dont have a scanner. Could anyone try do a test for me ?

jpg images

I can play CUP games  07:00-12:00 GMT weeksdays &  00:00-13:00 GMT on weekends...

Offline Hurz

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 06:40 PM »
simple draw->scan needs some work to have a map. as hhc says, there will be some cleanup to do.
well  threshold scanning could fix main issues. i dont got scanner at home either tho, would have to go to my parents place to test.

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 09:56 AM »
you can use Adobe Illustrator tracing, send your pic and ill turn it into map to show you example

Offline LeTotalKiller

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 07:34 AM »
I have a scanner at home but I'm really skeptical you can get a map right even after a lot of work. Also, but I don't know if it's the case for many other scanners, my scanner tends to make really huge scans, with easily thousands of pixels on each side out of an A4 sheet.

Offline ArtecTheFox

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 11:23 AM »
I have to agree with LTK – if you take a photo of such a drawing using any camera or a high quality scanning device, then no matter what, the result will be disastrous. I mean, you'd have to deal with a huge load of fixes, removing a countless amount of pixels around the lines you've drawn and furthermore, all those totally empty spaces (maybe converting the image's palette to monochrome would somehow help a bit?). You could omit that repetitive kind of work by simply taking a photo of it using even a crappy mobile phone around (you know, these ones that include an availability to just take a photo while not being able to record any video of that), then put it on a plain document in some graphics editor like Adobe Photoshop (or Adobe Illustrator, as Impo suggested) or Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3, or even Adobe Flash (my personal choice for such tasks) and basically trace the lines you've drawn (and naturally, remove the real photo after passing all the lines). However, I assume your goal here is about to make a map look like it has been really drawn using a pen, not a paintbrush apparently.

Offline Kangaroo

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 05:29 AM »
ok well I guess this idea has gone to shit, waaaay to much editing that i cant be f@#!ed to do, considering ive got 486mb ram and cannot run photoshop and it all has to be done in MSpaint :S

jpg images

Offline Triad

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 08:28 AM »
ok well I guess this idea has gone to shit, waaaay to much editing that i cant be f@#!ed to do, considering ive got 486mb ram and cannot run photoshop and it all has to be done in MSpaint :S
Should be possible, photoshop works on my PC with 512mb RAM, only save for web feature doesn't work.

Offline Korydex

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 08:47 AM »