Forums
March 28, 2024, 05:58 PM

Author Topic: Mission 2 - Operation Market Garden  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Mablak

Mission 2 - Operation Market Garden
« on: March 28, 2017, 09:35 PM »
I think the best/most achievable goal here is a 4 turn run. 3 turns is possible as on the mission records page, but only if you have some incredible luck with the right Grenadier worm hitting itself. So my main route is the triple kill method attached, I'll just go over some of the rationale for each turn:

Turn 1: The goal is a quick, repeatable full power shot, setting up a pile. I memorize it by looking at the crosshair; first spot where there's some black showing through the upper left quadrant. Also note that the enemy worm lands in a spot that prevents the other worms from walking right. The spot you stand in is pretty ideal for not getting knocked down, and also makes sure the AI don't aim for your right worm.

Turn 2: Also a quick, repeatable full power shot, the goal is a triple kill. But since mines only check for worms every 10th frame, the worms won't fly the same way every time, and half the time they'll live. Luckily, those worms like to kill themselves; the run should still be viable if they do this. I also remember this angle by looking at the land, it's where that light purple spike is centered in the upper left part of the crosshair.

Turn 3: If the lower right Grenadier hasn't moved, you can stand still and toss a 4 sec full power. But if it has, don't do this, or the worm will be sent to a really annoying spot. Instead, just aim down 3 notches, and move forward 3 nudges to do a full power shot; this traps the worm and makes it skip, saving some time. I haven't found a more reliable/quick shot here. If your bank off the flower has been totally destroyed, or you've been knocked down, the only way to salvage the run is probably a fast shot by feel.

Turn 4: A full power shot off the ground; I remember it as one notch up from where the dark purple on the flower shows through the bottom right part of the crosshair. Or just 2 sprite changes, 1 notch (10th position if straight down is position 1), useful if your worm has been moved.

Also, I attached an example of a missed triple scenario. You might lose 4 to 10 seconds, but the run may still be viable.

Possible Improvements: This method could definitely be made more reliable if the triple kill was guaranteed every time. But still, any changes to the 1st two shots would be pretty hard, they're already quite reliable and fast. One possibility is finding a way to time your 2nd shot so it lines up with a certain frame in the mine's cycle of 9 frames off, 1 frame on; you might not even have to get the exact frame. I think I'll mess around with that.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:15 AM by Mablak »

Offline TheWalrus

Re: Mission 2 - Operation Market Garden
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 11:00 PM »
keep these coming mablak, best thing ive seen on tus in awhile

Offline Mablak

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 11:10 PM »
Glad to hear Wally, I'ma do all of 'em in the next couple weeks hopefully, then I might finally get to the point of doing actual full runs!

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 05:38 PM »
Backup Strategy

This mission is a bunch of RNG unless you know how to throw nades (you have infinite of them) properly (which is not me), therefore I can't really make a turn breakdown here

Basically, you need to kill all enemy worms

The premises are:
- As long as you didn't get hit, move as least as possible
- Player Worm 1 attacks worms on the left-center
- Player Worm 2 attacks worms on the right-center
- If you make a plop hole (even if by accident), use it to your advantage
- If you get hit (cuz it can happen), use blowtorches to dig up close to the enemy
- You have 4 Shotguns, use them only if throwing nades could be risky
- Despite you having infinite Fire Punches, it's not worth using them
- You have 2 Girders, if you need assistance with throwing nades, they might help, use 1 per worm

Also a friendly reminder to the noobs reading this - nades are not affected by wind