Forums
March 28, 2024, 07:27 PM

Author Topic: What's your reaction time?  (Read 6845 times)

Offline TheKaren

Re: What's your reaction time?
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2024, 05:40 AM »
Yeah I'm still getting between 150 and 170 regardless which monitor I use.

I'm guessing if we were to practise it 8 hours a day for a few months we could probably all improve by 20+ms.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2024, 06:27 AM »
I'm guessing if we were to practise it 8 hours a day

Offline Anubis

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2024, 09:23 AM »
It's surprising it makes such a difference, maybe my roping would get faster if I played on an actually high refresh rate monitor? Although my playing usually suffers when I switch from my 20 year old clunker

CRT screens are actually performing extremely well in terms of refresh-rates and input lag especially for lower resolutions. So if you "upgraded" to a modern LCD it would probably feel worse. When I switched from my old CRT to a high quality EIZO TFT screen back in 2010 roping felt significant worse, but since at the time I already lost interest in W:A it didn't matter that much to me. Vintage doesn't always mean worse/outdated, most often it means more durable and reliable.

Some random facts:

• They break sample and hold blur by having a blanking period between each frame. This improves motion clarity. Black frame insertion and backlight strobing are technologies that try to do this effect in other ways on LCD and OLED displays.
  • They have near instant response times like OLED does.
  • Due to the way the phosphors work can have a pleasing effect on the image quality at the expense of some sharpness. So old low res games look pretty great on CRTs.

If I were to take W:A/Roping serious again I would buy me a 100$ IBM Model M (and the Wooting for testing) from ebay and an old high quality CRT screen. :)

Also...

Yeah I'm still getting between 150 and 170 regardless which monitor I use.

I'm guessing if we were to practise it 8 hours a day for a few months we could probably all improve by 20+ms.

Live-Stream when Dave? Hahaha, I wanna see you react to it for 8 hours without going insane.

On a serious note, did you make sure each time you swapped your screen that it sets the correct Hz? On Win10 you do this here: Control Panel > Display > Advanced Display Settings

https://imgur.com/a/uVhwdRC
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:44 AM by Anubis »

Offline nino

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2024, 10:36 AM »
I see that some here are faster than a tesla autodriving to prevent a crash lol
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2024, 03:18 PM »
Live-Stream when Dave? Hahaha, I wanna see you react to it for 8 hours without going insane.

On a serious note, did you make sure each time you swapped your screen that it sets the correct Hz? On Win10 you do this here: Control Panel > Display > Advanced Display Settings

Yep Kai, I've figured out how to use PCs over the past 30 years thanks!  :D

Seriously though, I've got both monitors hooked up, the monitor on left is maximum 60hz(It's a 4K DELL), my main one is 165hz, my secondary PC has a 240hz monitor but I couldn't be bothered testing that.

Yeah, I'd go insane after 10 minutes mate let alone 8 hours LOL.

It doesn't surprise me that well known physical scheme players are generally faster. I am however very surprised TheWalrus was so slow, that's BS, he's a damn fast roper when he wants to be so not sure how that happened!

Online TheWalrus

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2024, 06:10 PM »

Seriously though, I've got both monitors hooked up, the monitor on left is maximum 60hz(It's a 4K DELL), my main one is 165hz, my secondary PC has a 240hz monitor but I couldn't be bothered testing that.

Yeah, I'd go insane after 10 minutes mate let alone 8 hours LOL.

It doesn't surprise me that well known physical scheme players are generally faster. I am however very surprised TheWalrus was so slow, that's BS, he's a damn fast roper when he wants to be so not sure how that happened!
On my 144hz montor im 200ms, in the grand scheme of things that really isn't much different for roping imo.  Most of roping to me is anticipatory anyways, reaction time is probably features more prominently in RTS or FPS. 

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2024, 06:36 PM »
On my 144hz montor im 200ms, in the grand scheme of things that really isn't much different for roping imo.  Most of roping to me is anticipatory anyways, reaction time is probably features more prominently in RTS or FPS.

But when roping every single button press is a reaction to the previous button press with the constant effort of adapting to whatever map you're playing on.

I'd say it's more powerful in roping than FPS because it happens more in roping. As in more times per second/minute.

Of course it depends what level you're playing at, S tier players at anything where reactions are priority are going to take advantage of being faster than everyone else.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2024, 10:27 PM »

Hey, ever since a close friend of mine texted me that his new PC didn't work and I told him to check if the power cable is plugged in and he actually forgot to check I make sure I start at the basics. xD