Forums
April 25, 2024, 12:06 PM

Author Topic: "How Team17 plans to bring Worms into the world of eSports"  (Read 8245 times)

Offline The Extremist

Re: "How Team17 plans to bring Worms into the world of eSports"
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2017, 09:51 AM »
it's sad, but most of the games made after 2006 suck man

There is some truth to this. Until Breath of the Wild* came out last week, the last truly classic game I played was The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which came out in...2006. Since then, I have played some good games, but not classic games. So many new releases are derivative, formulaic, overly "cinematic" (read: movie with bits of gameplay), and sometimes even ugly. Even Oblivion's hit sequel, Skyrim, generally suffers from quantity over quality.

*I'm about a quarter of the way through BotW, and it's already the best Zelda title since 2000's Majora's Mask. It's almost literally Elder Scrolls meets Zelda, with most of the benefits and none of the drawbacks. It's trending at the top of various review aggregate sites all-time lists!

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2017, 04:52 PM »
Two words: Marketing lies

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2017, 05:19 PM »
bioshock is pretty much better than any retro game i can think of with maybe one or two exceptions

and ofc worms

Offline GeneralEcchi

• Arr Pirate

• Sweden Sweden
  • ᔕᕮᕮK ᗩᑎᗪ ᗪᕮᔕTᖇOY !
    • View Profile
    • GenEcchi DA
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2017, 06:12 PM »
it's sad, but most of the games made after 2006 suck man

There is some truth to this. Until Breath of the Wild* came out last week, the last truly classic game I played was The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which came out in...2006. Since then, I have played some good games, but not classic games. So many new releases are derivative, formulaic, overly "cinematic" (read: movie with bits of gameplay), and sometimes even ugly. Even Oblivion's hit sequel, Skyrim, generally suffers from quantity over quality.

*I'm about a quarter of the way through BotW, and it's already the best Zelda title since 2000's Majora's Mask. It's almost literally Elder Scrolls meets Zelda, with most of the benefits and none of the drawbacks. It's trending at the top of various review aggregate sites all-time lists!

Doom 4 ?

Offline Triad

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Obviously there are cool new titles (Witcher 3, Rocket League etc.) but indeed games, or to be more specific devs became worse. Just let me summarize it with a list:

* f@#! pre-order exclusive content.
* f@#! Day 1 DLC.
* f@#! devs that release incomplete/bugged games.
* f@#! micro-transactions.
* f@#! game cosmetics that you need to purchase with real money to unlock them.
* f@#! devs abandoning their old games.

I wish there was a Netflix like alternative to Steam: Pay a monthly fee, play every game available. That way you could prevent devs to use cheap tactics to milk money, and they wouldn't abandon their older titles as long as these titles still have active playerbase.

Offline Husk

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2017, 06:42 PM »
oblivion is better than skyrim...

but when i play oblivion i just hope it had skyrim's fighting system...

then i go back to skyrim... then i miss all the awesome stuff from oblivion so i go back to oblivion... then i go back to skyrim... then back to oblivion... and then...

Offline nino

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2017, 06:47 PM »
oblivion is better than skyrim...

but when i play oblivion i just hope it had skyrim's fighting system...

then i go back to skyrim... then i miss all the awesome stuff from oblivion so i go back to oblivion... then i go back to skyrim... then back to oblivion... and then...

Then you become a cockman going in and out till u get so tired and sleep soft aeee
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2017, 11:54 PM »
Doom 4 ?

I haven't played it. Looks pretty good, but not amazing. Sort of like a dumbed-down Unreal Tournament with a bunch of unnecessary bells & whistles.

On that note, the new Unreal Tournament looks promising. Better than III, at least.

In the FPS department, I'm also looking forward to the indie PC game STRAFE. It harkens back to 90's FPSes in terms of speed and compactness, and has a fresh, new procedural art style.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2017, 08:24 AM »
* f@#! devs that release incomplete/bugged games.
* f@#! micro-transactions.
* f@#! game cosmetics that you need to purchase with real money to unlock them.
* f@#! devs abandoning their old games.

Valve in Counter-Strike in nutshell.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2017, 09:49 AM »
Tbh most gamers today are pretty stupid, yeah, I said it.

Actually accepting DLC crap instead of collectively ignoring it so companies stop doing it in a bad way.

Also the amount of selfish fks who pirate is ridiculous and part of the reason we have DLC, I'm talking about people who can easily afford stuff but choose to spend 200 fkn pound on a shitty tshirt no one fkn cares about to impress some girl they probably won't even fck... Stupid spoiled virgins...

Of course, there are some great games and great people around, met one of the best friends I'll ever have on this very game :)

One thing I really hate is shitty beta release games which take years to fkn finish making and by that point thwy already made their money and don't givva fck anymore...

Just finish a game THEN release it please :(

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2017, 06:41 PM »
Just finish a game THEN release it please :(

The only major developer that does this anymore is Nintendo.

Time between Zelda: Skyward Sword and Zelda: Breath of the Wild = just under 5 years, 4 months.

BTW, if you think the next Elder Scrolls is going to be bug-free because Skyrim came out way back in 2011, they've admitted that they haven't started full production on the next entry yet.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2017, 01:52 AM »

Offline Korydex

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2017, 03:57 AM »

Very good game! I was stuck at the part at 32:00...

Offline GeneralEcchi

• Arr Pirate

• Sweden Sweden
  • ᔕᕮᕮK ᗩᑎᗪ ᗪᕮᔕTᖇOY !
    • View Profile
    • GenEcchi DA
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2017, 12:57 PM »
Doom 4 ?

I haven't played it. Looks pretty good, but not amazing. Sort of like a dumbed-down Unreal Tournament with a bunch of unnecessary bells & whistles.

On that note, the new Unreal Tournament looks promising. Better than III, at least.

In the FPS department, I'm also looking forward to the indie PC game STRAFE. It harkens back to 90's FPSes in terms of speed and compactness, and has a fresh, new procedural art style.

Doom 4 is pretty good - watch a review here:

Offline Ytrojan

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2017, 08:34 PM »
TUS should be more popular. If WA worked on Windows 10, Team17 would talk about it more. And I would upgrade (if they got rid of the forced updates).
Imagine What a Buck Could Do!

I now declare a brand new league (and the successor to the failed Ultra League): WormsRF!