Forums
April 20, 2024, 01:02 PM

Author Topic: Team17 has announced Worms WMD  (Read 63304 times)

Offline WTF-8

Re: Team17 has announced Worms WMD
« Reply #630 on: October 21, 2016, 07:54 AM »
[...] people won't think twice about choosing a particular player and singling them out, and attacking ONLY them until they are dead. People also gang up with others and will do the same thing... like unofficial teams. It happens all of the time. Say I am playing in a 6-player FFA match [...] what ends up happening the overwhelming majority of the time is this: After about 5 turns or so, everyone makes it their holy mission to kill me because it's obvious that I know what I'm doing. I've tried explaining that even in a no rules match, that's just bad Wormsmanship. [...] it's just lame behavior. Newer players don't give a shit. They will be as cheap and ruthless as possible to exterminate a 'threat,' even if that means totally screwing themselves over in the process. It's maddening.

[...] Worst of all, the newer players are annoying as f@#!.
Try and join a few random games here on W:A, especially those hosted with common schemes through HostingBuddy, and experience EXACTLY SAME stuff - FFA6 total noobshit with ganging up, quitters, trolls and all that shit.
It's really a matter of what type of games you play.
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline goom

« Reply #631 on: October 21, 2016, 01:08 PM »
Due to a server database problem, this topic got corrupted. I restored over 600 posts of it from the backups but last couple of pages got lost. (about last 30 posts)
I apologize for any inconvenience. (still trying to restore though)

i wonder if any of my posts got deleted, i can't remember what my most recent was. let me know if you're able to recover them, no big deal though.

this turned out exactly as i/we had expected. they really didn't listen to input aside from custom maps (how are those, by the way? any limitations?). i feel like we gave them more than enough helpful suggestions, and by ignoring most of them they've ended up with an inferior game. the lack of wormNET and cross compatibility (win steam/win gog/linux/mac/xbox/ps4) is slaughtering the playerbase growth; they really should have delayed game until this could be implemented.

i haven't played the game myself (not giving them money until they put some more effort forth) so i'd like to ask, how rampant are the bugs/glitches?

was this ever fixed?

or the explosion glitch?

i really hope they plan on fixing this, but i get the feeling that we're going to end up with Worms: Catastrophe in two years. they got their $30 preorders, now they'll get a surge once they discount to $15 (and then again for the inevitable humble bundle inclusion). it's a real shame that they didn't reach out to the W:A community sooner in development (and actually listen).

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #632 on: October 21, 2016, 03:57 PM »
how rampant are the bugs/glitches?

Reading patch notes (v1.1, v1.2, v1.3, v1.4) makes me want to ask how dare Team17 request $30 for this piece of bug. Things seem to get better quite slowly, but that's still better than never.
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline skunk3

« Reply #633 on: October 22, 2016, 05:45 AM »
Think you are exaggerating on most points. The ganging up seems more like whining :D (I mean, if they don't gang up, and you are ten times better, then where's the challenge?). Also, didn't see you in any of the cups hosted, if you wanna play players 1vs1 play ranked or these cups, and see how well you fare against better players.

I only play the game once or twice each week (the cups), I guess I kinda lost interest in worming altogether, but I think the game is worth it. The only thing that kinda lets me down is the 'sluggishness' of the game, wouldn't mind if it geared up a little. Newho... when I see Senator working on his crafting tactics I can only be impressed by the strategic depth of the game. It kinda lets me down to know that the game will never reach maturity cause dying community already, cos ya, when you take it to perfection the thought processes behind default games will make WA-elite look like kindergarden-chess.

No exaggeration. As far as the ganging up goes, yeah, that can be construed as whining, but it's worth pointing out. I get targeted by people all of the time, and there's not much that can be done about it. The cup games are always being played when I have to work, or at inopportune hours for me. I used to play funners with those individuals who do play in the cups though, and I can't say that too many of them actually impress me, to be honest. There's some good players here and there (like AmazeeLuck, et al...) but the majority are mediocre at best, and couldn't make a skill / distance shot if their life depended on it.

I don't feel that crafting really adds much strategy to the game. It's all common sense up to a point. First you will definitely wanna deconstruct any weapons that you know you are not likely to use. After that, it's best to construct a couple of items that you know you're very likely to use, and then hang on to the rest of your materials until it is time to craft something very situational. Aside from that, just deconstruct infinite ammo weapons on every turn. It's pretty simple. There's 2 main types of crafters in WMD - those who craft the most noobish weapons possible, like bunker busters and air strikes, and those who craft late game defensive stuff like girders, industrial electromagnets, and sentry guns. I personally don't feel that crafting was a good idea. The balance of the weapons is STILL off after a couple of patches. The crafting system is total crap because out of the 'over 80' weapons promised in the game, a huge amount of them are locked down behind a crafting wall. (Not that it matters too much, as most of the craftables are redundant.)

I like that they plan on giving us the option to include up to 5 different craftables as default inventory very soon, but to me that isn't enough. They need to completely overhaul the weapon / crafting menu and add way more customization so we can make the schemes we want. Up to 5 craftables... what a joke. What a bad idea in general...

Vehicles were also a terrible idea. It doesn't even feel like Worms when a bunch of vehicles are in play. They invariably lead to cheesy, predictable behavior too. (Controlling the helicopters is a prime example.)

What I do like about WMD:

1. Graphics. The game looks gorgeous.
2. We are back to a max of 6 players with 8 worms per team. The last game to feature that was WWP.
3. Buildings. This was a great addition to the series, and done very well.
4. Weapon emplacements. The only thing that sucks about these is that they can only be aimed in one direction, so oftentimes the weapon emplacements are worthless due to which way they are facing.
5. Native voice chat.
6. Solid single player content. (AI is smarter too...)

That's about it. What I wrote previously is just a condensed version of everything that I don't like about WMD. What is frustrating is the fact that I think that WMD *could be* an amazing Worms title with the right effort and patches. I've been posting to the Steam forums since there was a forum for WMD, so it's not as though they aren't aware of ideas that would make the game exponentially better. I gotta say that Jonno and Danny have done a solid job overall, but whoever calls the shots amongst the devs (Kevin Carthew?) needs to have their head removed from their ass. How did they not realize that a global chat lobby would be important? Who came up with their ranking system that is arbitrary nonsense?

What also sucks is that the player base was divided from the start. We have people playing on Steam for Windows, as well as Mac and Linux, we also have players on GOG, and let us not forget PS4 and XB1. There's plans in the works to make Windows, Mac, and Linux cross-play compatible, but the game is STILL divided regardless.... furthermore, why in the hell was the game not cross-play compatible from the start? It's hard enough to find a game on the Windows version sometimes... if you are a sucker who owns a Mac, you basically can't play online multiplayer unless you add people to your friends list on Steam. There's lots of good players on the console versions, and unfortunately, odds of PC players ever getting to play with console players are slim to none. I wish they would have just made the game PC exclusive and used an updated WormNET type lobby system.

Anyway... I actually uninstalled the game if that says anything.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #634 on: October 22, 2016, 05:47 AM »
[...] people won't think twice about choosing a particular player and singling them out, and attacking ONLY them until they are dead. People also gang up with others and will do the same thing... like unofficial teams. It happens all of the time. Say I am playing in a 6-player FFA match [...] what ends up happening the overwhelming majority of the time is this: After about 5 turns or so, everyone makes it their holy mission to kill me because it's obvious that I know what I'm doing. I've tried explaining that even in a no rules match, that's just bad Wormsmanship. [...] it's just lame behavior. Newer players don't give a shit. They will be as cheap and ruthless as possible to exterminate a 'threat,' even if that means totally screwing themselves over in the process. It's maddening.

[...] Worst of all, the newer players are annoying as f@#!.
Try and join a few random games here on W:A, especially those hosted with common schemes through HostingBuddy, and experience EXACTLY SAME stuff - FFA6 total noobshit with ganging up, quitters, trolls and all that shit.
It's really a matter of what type of games you play.

I would bet cash money that those players you are talking about are random Russian / Brazilian noobs who don't know shit about Worms.

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 24, 2016, 06:04 AM »
A lot of those seemingly random Russian players are pretty good actually.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #636 on: October 25, 2016, 10:51 AM »
..said no one ever :)

Offline Senator

« Reply #637 on: October 27, 2016, 06:19 PM »
Now, after 2 months of release, there's a global chat. Better late than never I guess :D You can chat while in a game lobby too and switch between global/lobby chat.

Offline goom

« Reply #638 on: October 30, 2016, 07:27 PM »
Now, after 2 months of release, there's a global chat. Better late than never I guess :D You can chat while in a game lobby too and switch between global/lobby chat.

that's nice, but wake me up when there's proper crossplay between all platforms. :P

Offline skunk3

« Reply #639 on: November 07, 2016, 05:25 PM »

that's nice, but wake me up when there's proper crossplay between all platforms. :P

Crossplay between all platforms probably will never happen, but Team17 *has* announced that they will be implementing crossplay between all PC versions of WMD, including Steam for Mac, Linux, and Windows, as well as GOG. That will be pretty huge, but unfortunately there will still be a lot of console players who are quite good who won't be able to play with everyone else.

Team17 is slowly making steps in the right direction in regards to WMD, but IMO the main thing they need to do is add more weapons and utilities to the game. Many of the craftable weapons (if not most) are just powered-up versions of the base weapon, rather than entirely different weapons best used in specific circumstances. Many classic weapons are missing (such as dragon ball, mole, petrol bomb, etc) and there's a bunch of items from past Worms games that should be included and would make WMD so much better. I've brought this up many times on the Steam forums but I dunno if it will ever happen. WMD probably isn't making them much money right now. The player base has dropped significantly since launch due to many issues.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #640 on: November 07, 2016, 06:52 PM »
The player base has dropped significantly since launch due to many issues.

Google Trends says it all... [LINK]

By looking at this graph notice how there's a huge spike on WMD, but on the right side of the spike WA's interest got higher by a significant bit.

Offline Senator

« Reply #641 on: November 09, 2016, 07:44 PM »

was this ever fixed?

Nope and they replied that it's designed to work like that

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #642 on: November 15, 2016, 03:11 PM »
http://steamcommunity.com/games/327030/announcements/detail/338162413298463082
Oh look, they're releasing pre-order bonus for free and for everyone. I imagine a few "thank you" comments and a huge complaint wave.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #643 on: November 15, 2016, 04:35 PM »
http://steamcommunity.com/games/327030/announcements/detail/338162413298463082
Oh look, they're releasing pre-order bonus for free and for everyone. I imagine a few "thank you" comments and a huge complaint wave.

Way to threat people who pre-ordered... son, I am disappoint.

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #644 on: November 16, 2016, 02:21 AM »
here it comes

today I'll try and stay awake as much as possible just to read flamewars