Forums
March 29, 2024, 04:47 AM

Author Topic: Schemes - TUS vs Newbs  (Read 5214 times)

Offline franz

Re: Schemes - TUS vs Newbs
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 09:16 PM »
I bet MonkeyIsland would appreciate volunteers more than just giving ideas.  I'm guessing he already has his own ideas for TUS2 that he continuously works on, so I'd encourage you guys to be proactive and get involved with your own ideas here :)

Offline HHC

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 09:21 PM »
Hmm, made a graph  :)

N.B.: Shopper wasn't in Classic league from the start.
edit: N.B.2: since my excel is dutch.. the times are dutch. Jan=January; Mei=May; Sep=September..

It puts things in a different perspective I guess. There's still hope for elite  :D

Btw, to save myself some valuable time I only used the data from the following seasons: 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26 (current).

Hard to draw any real conclusions from this graph  ???

Offline chakkman

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 09:40 PM »
Now try to determine how many ppl/clans pick for points rather than for scheme favours.

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 10:25 PM »
This:
Now try to determine how many ppl/clans pick for points rather than for scheme favours.

and,

I believe, for the same reason someone who is an experienced reader would go for the best-regarded//famous for their quality or intellect/good/interesting/researched writers, whereas a new reader would go by chance to the most "pop" ones - thats right Stephen King fans xd.

Bottomline, if someone wants to get involved in other schemes and play competitively, they will.

PS: I love Stephen King :P

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 04:59 AM »
Well well well...

Look what's the favourite scheme then, B N f@#!ing G ! Get it up ye ! Well, more than roper t17 elite.

K, i've read the rest now, while I find it dissapointing, it's part of life, nothing lives forever, you got to enjoy it while it lasts and make the most of it, and if possible, try and help make it last longer.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 05:10 AM by Komito »

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 05:19 AM »
Intermediate is the 2nd most hosted HB scheme. Time to bring it back ;O

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 06:00 AM »
oh the graph is on german, but I suggest to translate it so anybody can undestand it now

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 06:34 AM »
Lol impo n1 xD

Offline Throsti

• I am just Throsti

• Poland Poland
  • Pn Pn clan

• Paweł Abramowicz.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook.
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 06:47 AM »
OWNED. Impoo lol

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 11:09 AM »
I'm going to make this post in hopes the data here isn't used to draw conclusions or make decisions.

1) is there a future for the classic schemes?
Yes, TUS.

2) why do schemes like wxw and shopper tend to fail when chosen as TRL schemes? Why did normal never get the place it deserves based on popularity?

Because when you learn you can host (most likely after becoming somewhat good at the game), you stop using HB, and start playing other schemes. The connections you make are totally wrong, this has nothing to do with popularity and I wouldn't look at it to judge the future, either. Most people that like Shopper don't like Shopper because they compare all schemes and decide they do. They do so because it's the first thing they learn, the easiest thing they can host (they constantly see people hosting with HB) and the only thing they can play.
How many allarounders you think have shopper as their favorite scheme? Not many, I'd say.

3) is TUS noob-unfriendly? or do noobs simply abandon their fav schemes after getting in touch with more 'skillful'-ones?

It's hard to navigate and the forums are hard to understand and full of /r. They do the second thing, I'd say but mainly because Shopper was never their "fav" scheme, but their first scheme, and because it's so popular and so constantly hosted it retro-aliments and the patron goes on and on.

4) there are a lot of noobs on wormnet who do not play for TUS, could something be done to get them here? Like a shopper-only league? Or would that fail?

Things can be done, I don't see the benefit. You can't convince players into playing competitive in a league in a time/effort effective way, I think that motivation comes from one self.

5) does the same problem exist in other games? As in, modes played for fun being entirely different from those played for leagues?

There is a market called professional gaming. Devs take competition into account, and if they don't, their game will not be competitive. So it doesn't happen that often with new games. But it happened all the time in old games, like WA. Set of rules to make a fair and fun competition based on the lack of in game support for such things.

6) I disagreed with Ropa when he said new players aren't nearly as skilled as the old generation. But yeah, it could be very true for the classic schemes.. which aren't played nearly as much anymore and thus naturally skill level drops and the amount of top players decreases by the day.
Can we do something to get more players involved or are these schemes just doomed to die out?

You can't do anything. Gamers have short spasms and will most likely direct their attention to something with more eye candy after a few worms games.
I like your use of semantics to kind of admit I was right but kind of not. You need to realize it'd be weird if old players were better than new in non classic schemes, seeing as most of them didn't even exist.

MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 10:44 PM »
Plus alot of posts on TuS are things newcomers don't know anything about, and if they see someone arguin, they don't know enough to get involved so probably don't want to get involved because what would be the point?

Offline Ray

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 07:27 AM »
Not to mention the lack of English knowledge.

Offline solido

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 08:05 AM »
i dont like tus singles because playng 1v1 is boring and i think noobs feel this way too . clans are hard to be apart of because it requires commitment and organisation and there is not very many players especially during night in the west, if I go in wormnet an all russians and zillians I leave cause I cant talk to them and thats not fun to game with ppl cant communicate with. too few players =not enough ppl for active-enough clans= only real solution is give the game away for free  and new league for noobs thats way way more user friendly than tus. wont work unless reporting can be done in game. this should be possible to send commands like we do to hosting buddy.

ps. embrace the new popular schemes, it's the only way. how bout instead of trl, you have nu-league with hysteria, tower race, shopper, and other popular hb schemes.

pps. the best schemes i've played are with noobs that have edited there own schemes and they are simple fun to play dont involve very much thinking and each player has = oppurtunity to win, and has no rules. i like this one game i play with my casual noob friend who i've been meeting online. and the whole game lasts like 5-6 minutes, but we play like 6 or 7 a night and we have fun, chatting, he wins some and I win some and it's fun. of course the more skilled player will win more often but i like short length games. just dont like kaos... 2x damage ruins it.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 10:42 AM »
i dont like tus singles because playng 1v1 is boring and i think noobs feel this way too . clans are hard to be apart of because it requires commitment and organisation and there is not very many players especially during night in the west, if I go in wormnet an all russians and zillians I leave cause I cant talk to them and thats not fun to game with ppl cant communicate with. too few players =not enough ppl for active-enough clans= only real solution is give the game away for free  and new league for noobs thats way way more user friendly than tus. wont work unless reporting can be done in game. this should be possible to send commands like we do to hosting buddy.

ps. embrace the new popular schemes, it's the only way. how bout instead of trl, you have nu-league with hysteria, tower race, shopper, and other popular hb schemes.

pps. the best schemes i've played are with noobs that have edited there own schemes and they are simple fun to play dont involve very much thinking and each player has = oppurtunity to win, and has no rules. i like this one game i play with my casual noob friend who i've been meeting online. and the whole game lasts like 5-6 minutes, but we play like 6 or 7 a night and we have fun, chatting, he wins some and I win some and it's fun. of course the more skilled player will win more often but i like short length games. just dont like kaos... 2x damage ruins it.

Yeah, classic schemes, too hard. Clans? Too much effort. Viva la casual.

Here's the hard truth though, casuals don't play leagues. If you made a league consisting of the most stupid schemes possible (something like the stuff you and your pals play for 7 times a night) it wouldn't have any popularity.

You'll eventually get over the big banana bombs and such, and you'll either leave worms for good or stay and move on to more complex schemes, it's factual data.
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.