Forums
April 19, 2024, 09:52 AM

Author Topic: Unexpected Direct3D 9 problems  (Read 1432 times)

Offline MarianRV

Unexpected Direct3D 9 problems
« on: June 26, 2016, 06:03 PM »
Out of sudden WA crashes whenever I play an online game with Direct3D 9 (both CPU and shader) (always used Direct3D 9 xd)
Sadly can't even see the error and haven't done anything in the settings for months
I don't know if helps but: game totally unplayable with Direct3D 7 but works with DirectDraw(32-bit) with a slight fps drop
Any1 knows what I could do? :(
Playing the steam version on Windows 10: ERRORLOG not telling me what's going on :/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:14 PM by MarianRV »

Offline Chelsea

Re: Unexpected Direct3D 9 problems
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 06:23 PM »
Any1 knows what I could do? :(

change signature ;)

Offline ANO

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 06:29 PM »
just re-install the game... i think it's the fastest solution.

Offline MarianRV

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 06:56 PM »
just re-install the game... i think it's the fastest solution.
tried,didn't work

Offline StepS

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 08:01 PM »
Did you update your graphics drivers lately? Can you check what version you currently have?
When the game crashes, does it create CRASH.DMP and ERRORLOG.TXT? If so, upload them here.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline MarianRV

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 08:14 PM »
Did you update your graphics drivers lately? Can you check what version you currently have?
When the game crashes, does it create CRASH.DMP and ERRORLOG.TXT? If so, upload them here.
ERRORLOG.TXT doesn't seem to give me any information about it (will try to search more precisely tomorrow tho)
Gonna have some checks on pc tomorrow evening for updates and stuff

Offline StepS

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 08:22 PM »
Just upload the CRASH.DMP and ERRORLOG.TXT files. From the crash dump, the developers will be able to tell what exactly causes your issue (if the error happened in the game's code), or what might have caused it (if the error happened in an external module such as a driver DLL).
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 11:37 PM »
why not just play in directdraw 32 bit?  ive played for my entire worms career with that setting, no problems. 

people are a bit prissy about their settings, you cant play worms unless it is some directx9 thing marian?

Offline StepS

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 10:25 AM »
why not just play in directdraw 32 bit?  ive played for my entire worms career with that setting, no problems. 

people are a bit prissy about their settings, you cant play worms unless it is some directx9 thing marian?
DirectDraw is an ancient and very unoptimal renderer nowadays (and at the time of its introduction as well, given how it works internally - painting pixels onto your desktop... it's a huge mess). It's been deprecated for use since 2000 (and not used in most games made after 2000), and has had several performance penalties over new releases of Windows systems (as it's in maintenance mode and not going to be updated). It saw its largest performance hit with Windows 8 (which was one of the driving factors to include new renderers into the game). In Windows 10, after some updates, it seems they have improved performance of software-rendered DirectDraw, but overall compatibility is the same. Hardware-rendered ddraw is still 2fps in 1080p (and is never going to be fixed).
With Direct3D 9 you can also window your game and have third-party overlays such as Steam. It'd be much harder to implement something like that for DirectDraw. For DirectDraw, the existing windowed mode solutions are far from optimal and involve a lot of wrappers.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:32 AM by StepS »
[...]

Offline MarianRV

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 03:19 PM »

Playing with directdraw is pretty tough, game doesn't run that well at all (roping seems like hell due to the fps drop xd)
Just upload the CRASH.DMP and ERRORLOG.TXT files. From the crash dump, the developers will be able to tell what exactly causes your issue (if the error happened in the game's code), or what might have caused it (if the error happened in an external module such as a driver DLL).
Might just do that

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 03:28 PM »

DirectDraw is an ancient and very unoptimal renderer nowadays (and at the time of its introduction as well, given how it works internally - painting pixels onto your desktop... it's a huge mess). It's been deprecated for use since 2000 (and not used in most games made after 2000), and has had several performance penalties over new releases of Windows systems (as it's in maintenance mode and not going to be updated). It saw its largest performance hit with Windows 8 (which was one of the driving factors to include new renderers into the game). In Windows 10, after some updates, it seems they have improved performance of software-rendered DirectDraw, but overall compatibility is the same. Hardware-rendered ddraw is still 2fps in 1080p (and is never going to be fixed).
With Direct3D 9 you can also window your game and have third-party overlays such as Steam. It'd be much harder to implement something like that for DirectDraw. For DirectDraw, the existing windowed mode solutions are far from optimal and involve a lot of wrappers.
i see, i always used it on xp

Offline MarianRV

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 04:00 PM »
Anyone that managed to find something? Can't really play WA currently

Offline MarianRV

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 05:17 PM »
Ok,after a lot of failed screenshots xd (error bar appears for like a split second when I press ctrl+alt+del then it just dissapears) finally managed to get something

Anyone that knows what I can do?