Forums
March 29, 2024, 01:17 PM

Author Topic: Summer time blues???  (Read 6983 times)

Re: Summer time blues???
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Hmm, I wonder what that would do to server demands. After every season, the 9 months rating would have to be recalculated from scratch. MI should be able to answer that question.

Offline avirex

« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2014, 12:07 AM »
I stand corrected :)

Point was, people say a lot of thing without even trying to look up facts (I mistakenly included TEL). You could ask yourself the question why no one has managed to get the drop on barman's rating if he has been inactive so long. Barman also didn't have many players above him to gain rating points from.
I'm not sure if longterm rating is going to solve this problem, there wouldn't be much reason to play games. I assume you'd still include a minimum activity requirement?
Another option would be using tournament performance rating instead of resetting the seasonal rating

sooo.... you wanted to make a point that people dont look up facts, by throwing out a bunch of lies, that the top 10 are active, and seeing if anyone would catch you??? hello... thats what half of this topic has been about...

Current top 10: Almog, Crash, ZiPpO, Csongi, franz, daiNa, Bry4N, Lukz, barman and Random00.

the only people i would consider active here is csongi, lukz, dainub, and possibly bryan....

and because some others may play a game every now and then, your going to discredit every thing that has been said??  cool... i like your style.

Offline Senator

« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2014, 08:43 AM »
Hmm, I wonder what that would do to server demands. After every season, the 9 months rating would have to be recalculated from scratch.

I don't know about server demands but they would decrease after 2nd season change because of this primary if-then rule:
If a player hasn't played for two seasons, make him unranked and freeze his points (so he can come back later with points from six/seven seasons).
So after the 2nd season change recalculations would be made for active players only.

There are more simple ways to get almost the same outcome:

- Keep overall ranking system as it is
- Give three of the playoffs spots based on overall ranking. To qualify for the playoffs you have to play at least 40? games.
Pros: Encourage experienced players to keep playing. Cons: No effect on overall standings unless Random00 and some others start playing again.

- Reduce the required number of games to 50? (seasonal requirement)
- Count points from 120? games only. Once you have played 120 games,
  - further wins will replace the smallest losses (+40 -> -9, for example)
  - further losses will replace the smallest wins (-40 -> +20, for example)
Pros: Encourage semi-active players to play. Cons: No direct effect on overall ranking.

There may be other ways too. As mentioned, the point is to attract players who don't have time or desire to play 80 games per season. Now there is no carrot (except ruined overall ranking) for playing 30-50 games per season, which is part of the reason why some players stop playing.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:03 PM by Senator »