Forums
April 19, 2024, 11:33 AM

Author Topic: Will real time Worms in 4.0 affect the usual turn based Worms?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Ricky

• India India
    • View Profile
WA 4.0 might be a long way off but I am worried already ??? I am against including real time support for games in 4.0 but it is a decision to be taken by CyberShadow and Deadcode. If it is included though, will it have any adverse impact on the number of people playing the usual turn based games?

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Will real time Worms in 4.0 affect the usual turn based Worms?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 02:47 AM »
I don't think so. Real time gameplay will be more used for action schemes like rope race. Hard to see how any of the classic strategic schemes would make the transition from turn-based play.

A bunch of new schemes will surely be developed. But that won't mean fewer players for classic schemes. There will definitely be a huge surge of players if and when WA 4.0 is ever released. Basically everyone who has ever played and quit WA will reinstall the game to give it a try.

In the mean time, hopefully version 3.8 will come soon. Deadcode is still working on it, according to CyberShadow's most recent post on the matter. I think someone said it will be out this year some time, but I can't find anything concrete about that.

Edit - found this:
Sorry about the long delay. I haven't worked on W:A for two months, but let me please make it clear, the update is NOT canceled! The next round of work I put into it will probably continue until I've done all that's needed to get it ready for release. Not sure when exactly that'll be but it shouldn't be much longer.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:29 AM by j0e »

Offline Triad

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 08:05 AM »
Real time non racing schemes can be transited with implementing something like damage doesn't effect momentum of worms. With something like that you can play Roper + Arena fighter. Surely people will show more interest to real time racing at the first time but people won't turn their back against good ol' turn based schemes where you can sip your coffee between turns.

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 08:32 AM »
No one is working on "Resuming dropped game". :'(

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 08:47 AM »
damage doesn't effect momentum of worms.
What if a worm was shot with a zook and has no land under him? He'd have to fall anyway... Even shotgun creates small holes, how you gonna apply "damage doesn't affect momentum" there? Not to mention sliding and all that stuff, we'd basically have to live without many cool combos where one worm knocks another one.

I'm pretty sure I did suggest No Lose Of Control at some point, like it was in Worms 4 Mayhem when you enable inf HP (godmode or whatever it was called) - you could get damaged by a mine and then fire shotgun before even landing after that explosion. (if I remember it correctly)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 08:53 AM by WTF-8 »
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline Nullum

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 10:52 AM »
RTW FTW!

(from time 1:50)

:D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 10:54 AM by Nullum »

Offline Triad

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 11:44 AM »
What if a worm was shot with a zook and has no land under him? He'd have to fall anyway... Even shotgun creates small holes, how you gonna apply "damage doesn't affect momentum" there?
İndestructible map. Imagine there's a maze like big shopper map. 1 bazooka crate drop every 5-10 seconds. You rope around and so your opponent. It is like ZaR maybe but in real time. Of course it would be bad if you lost control after got hit. So if you lost hp but not momentum it would be good.

Not to mention sliding and all that stuff, we'd basically have to live without many cool combos where one worm knocks another one.
How would you control more than one worm in real time? Unless it's 3v3 with 6 players.

Of course there can be options for real time mode. No lose of momentum/control, forced delay between shots (2-5 secs) to prevent weapon spamming if there's an infinite weapon, it can also add a tactical insight. It is a new concept so we'll have to put more thoughts if it ever will introduced in 4.0

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 12:11 PM »
:O No destructible maps sounds like a pretty big change, unless I misunderstood something

Not to mention sliding and all that stuff, we'd basically have to live without many cool combos where one worm knocks another one.
How would you control more than one worm in real time?
I was talking of something like this:

or just standart multiplops when one worm slides from somewhere to water and takes another one with him while sliding
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:18 PM by WTF-8 »
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural