Forums
March 28, 2024, 07:45 PM

Author Topic: wkTerrain  (Read 15475 times)

Offline xKoweKx

wkTerrain
« on: June 20, 2016, 11:15 PM »
this simple wormkit module allows you to use custom terrains without replacing the original ones
usage: put new terrain folder in Data/Level (for example: Domestic or Dino from WWP)

note: terrain lists and files are NOT synchronized in online multiplayer games! if you want to play online with your friends, ensure that you have the exact same terrains installed.

tested on steam 3.7.2.1, probably works on cd version too.
edit: updated to newer version - you can use now up to 127 terrains total

download: * wkTerrain.dll (128.5 kB - downloaded 552 times.)

source code: * dllmain.cpp (6.48 kB - downloaded 336 times.)

examples:
- dinos from WWP
- domestic from WWP
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:13 AM by xKoweKx »

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
Re: wkTerrain
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 03:53 AM »
This is really awesome. Looking forward to trying it. Can you play online with custom terrain without syncing files if you, as host, right click to convert the random map to an image?

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 06:14 AM »
Sounds interesting.

Joe, image is image, no other files needed.

Offline raffie

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 07:51 AM »
Nice as a concept, but really only becomes useful when it's usable online.

Offline SiD

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Nice work!

If I generate a random map (without going into the map editor), can the custom terrains still be chosen? or must they always be selected manually?

Some sort of lobby notification could be good. e.g. wkTerrain: this server is using custom terrain 'Dinos'

Offline xKoweKx

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 09:17 AM »
I've updated the module to fix a minor bug. Now you can use up to 127 terrains.

SiD, custom terrains must be selected manually in terrain editor
lobby notifications and file synchronization are planned to be released as bigger module in the future. this module is just a simple extract from my old mod I did back in november.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 09:23 AM »
Can you provide the Dinos and Domestic themes for us as an example/template?

EDIT1: Also, it would be nice to get a theme compiler, just so sharing and using these themes wouldn't a problem.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:32 AM by TheMadCharles »

Offline xKoweKx

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 10:10 AM »
TheMadCharles, unfortunately I am not allowed to share those files, as they are copyrighted material. Someone would have to ask Team17 for their permission to make those files public.
You can use http://worms2d.info/WA_directory_editor to create new terrains based on existing ones. Make sure to use the same palette as the original files. SiD has already created a Tetris themed terrain.

As maintaining up to date list of terrains is bothersome, I would suggest to create a new category of files on TUS and create a simple xml/json list of terrain names + direct urls to files. A simple update to the module/separate program would query the list on regular basis and download new terrains.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 12:17 PM »
SiD has already created a Tetris themed terrain.

Where is it?

Offline Kaleu

Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline Triad

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 01:08 PM »
WA has function to convert bit maps to png. Can we create a custom terrain map, convert it to png and use it online?

Either way, this is an awesome module and I think it should be an official feature on next WA update. You know maps and schemes are extractable from replays. I think same thing should be for custom terrains.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:19 PM by Triad »

Offline SiD

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 07:27 PM »
I've attached my Tetris theme for anyone wanting to try it.
Unzip and place Tetris folder in Worms Armageddon\Data\Level
xKoweKx's wkterrain.dll needs to be in your Worms folder.

and yeh Triad, you can convert to png in map editor with no problems (But of course you won't see my non gradient background, and idiotic wind debris)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 08:30 PM by SiD »

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 07:47 PM »
I like it! 8)
Well the Tetris background is a little bit higher and falling tetris is below the clouds, but still good.  :-*
Keep it up!

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline StepS

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 08:20 PM »
Great work. The only thing I found strange though was that it opens the WA.exe file to get the version. You could instead get the needed data from the data section of the already loaded executable module. (And, of course, it should first check the version via GetFileVersionInfo - I have some wrappers for that ready, if needed). I might make some adjustments to the module soon, if I find the opportunity.
Added to the WormKit page; if it needs a separate page I can create it.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline SiD

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 11:12 PM »
After a fresh install of Windows 10, this module seems to be causing my game to crash when loading a custom terrain.
Error log:
wa caused a Microsoft C++ Exception (0xe06d7363)
in module KERNELBASE.dll at 0023:76a3dad8.
"Land data read error"
Exception parameters: 19930520 00196384 00654670
Version 3.7.2.1