Forums
April 25, 2024, 08:14 AM

Author Topic: Worms History - From Rankings to the birth of TUS  (Read 19229 times)

Offline skunk3

Re: Worms History - From Rankings to the birth of TUS
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2016, 07:07 PM »
What's the profile of this 'BadCereal' guy here in TUS? I can't find it, I wanna  watch some replays of him.
I know Kaya, he often hosts intermediates, it's weird that old and good players like them act like random players on wormnet.

I haven't seen BadCereal on in ages. I was a noob last time I saw him on. All I know is that he was a Brazilian W2 player that came to W:A after it launched. I seem to remember that he was really good, but then again I sucked. The only thing I was decent at back then was BNG, which is ironic since I am terrible at it now. (But at least my rope is still good!)

Offline Y2JID

« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2016, 07:29 AM »
This is hardly history by the way, but a very very small percentage of heroes of WA.

And that list is somehow wrong, I have been playing WA since July 1999, and I was heavily involved in the ranks before they went down and badcereal for starters was 1st when the whole thing went down, I remember cuz that guy was like an idol of mine... I always pictured him as some brazilian gangster.

Who the hell is sev cuz I really don't remember that name ever being on the list of best players...

There are several winning clans missing, some of which I have been a part of myself, amongst alot of my old friends who haven't been mentioned :(

Still, fantastic to see some of the results, thanks for your time Crazy.

so true
Uh, yo, it just so happen this how Y2JID thing started
Flip two aces and get two face cards
It happens, chip stackin'
I turn around, see a bunch of chicks clappin'
But a girl walked by, caught my eye
So I said, 'What the f@#!, stand here and give me luck'
And she whispered in my ear
A purple one on there and put a pink one on there

Offline Y2JID

« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2016, 07:39 AM »
There were also some successful clans in wwp before some of those 'wwp born pro' of today are doing well.

This is before cbc, and clans like HDI, KTC, vP etc.

What was ownless and fox's clan that won some leagues?

i loved vP
Uh, yo, it just so happen this how Y2JID thing started
Flip two aces and get two face cards
It happens, chip stackin'
I turn around, see a bunch of chicks clappin'
But a girl walked by, caught my eye
So I said, 'What the f@#!, stand here and give me luck'
And she whispered in my ear
A purple one on there and put a pink one on there

Offline Husk

« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2016, 08:45 PM »
ae chicken I believe it was dr

I remember they had nice website =P

Offline Crazy

« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2016, 01:51 PM »

Offline Lex

« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2016, 08:26 AM »
Nice compilation of data, Crazy!  I hadn't seen this thread until now.  This information should be on the wiki.  http://worms2d.info

Offline Korydex

« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2016, 11:02 PM »
Inspired by the debate with avirex and TheWalrus about pickable schemes in WACL, I'm trying to wayback them for all the legacy leagues

WACL:
  • Battle Race
  • BnG
  • Fort
  • Pro
  • Roper
  • Rope Race
  • Team17

Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20010707075917/http://www.wa-forum.com/waclfiles.htm

CL2K:
  • Battle Race
  • BnG
  • Elite
  • Fort
  • Pro
  • Roper
  • Rope Race
  • Sheep BnG
  • Shopper
  • Team17

Sources: http://web.archive.org/web/20050921071536/http://www.cl2k.org/rules.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20050120010034/http://www.cl2k.org/gamestats.php?league=cl

WL:
  • BnG
  • Elite
  • Pro
  • Roper
  • Rope Race

Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20020505004506/http://www.worms-league.com/rules.php

FB:

At first:
  • Battle Race
  • BnG
  • Elite
  • Fort
  • Pro
  • Roper
  • Rope Race
  • Shopper
  • Team17
And then:
  • BnG
  • Elite
  • Pro
  • Roper
  • Rope Race
  • Shopper
  • Team17

Sources: http://web.archive.org/web/20041019160811/http://www.laene.nl/fb/index.php?p=rules
http://web.archive.org/web/20071011171817/http://laene.nl/fb/index.php?p=rules

AL:
  • Elite
  • BnG
  • Roper
  • TTRR
  • Team17
  • Shopper
  • WxW

Source: https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/worms-armageddon/worms-history-from-rankings-to-the-birth-of-tus-15257/msg251605/#msg251605

XTC:
  • BnG
  • Elite
  • Pro
  • Roper
  • Shopper
  • Team17
  • TTRR
  • WxW

Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20090521172852/http://xtcleague.com/rules.php

I'm looking forward to your details/corrections!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:30 PM by Korydex »

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2016, 10:03 AM »
First some background. Most of you won't remember me, but I once ran a fairly large worms website called "Joe's Worms Page for Dummies". This was a pretty big deal to me in my pre-adolescent non-existent life. I looked at the site's stats compulsively every day, and almost considered myself some kind of worms celebrity. I specialized in providing worms programs - everything you could think of - grave changers, a HL2 mod, up to and including full versions of Worms 2, WWP, and the Korean/Chinese/Japanese Worms games. I was on an obsessive all-consuming mission to collect everything, public and private.

Over the years I've done a lot of things in service of that mission which I am not proud of. Basically everyone who was my friend I betrayed in some way. To everyone I was an asshole to, I am very sorry. This was all at least 10-15 years ago, but I have never forgotten. I feel that these things should be added to the history books.

In no particular order:

-I sent Deadcode a program I 'wrote' in visual basic which had a hidden freeware component that i downloaded from a website for 'script kiddies'. That free script let you browse a target's hard drive and download things. The visible part that I wrote was a simple form where you click on a gif of a fat kid repeatedly to make him dance. My goal was to steal WA's source code. This was when I had access to various beta builds via the alpha testing group and spoke with DC regularly. DC was too smart to heed my repeated advice to leave the program open (and download winsock dll's), but I am certain he knew (or later discovered) what was up. Good thing I was unsuccessful - probably would have released it and destroyed WA. I never really spoke to DC again after that.

-I sent the above program to TonY (author of RRkit) and stole his private build of 'batty ropes' back when it was still exclusive. I shared his copy with a friend and that friend distributed it widely. TonY got blamed and basically disappeared from WN after that.

-Using above program also stole good buddy (S.K.)'s private copy of Silkworm 4.13f (very powerful cheating abilities) which had "For XXXX" (buddy's name) plastered in the popup. I shared his copy with one or two people. Somehow fortunately it didn't get spread much beyond that. Shortly after this guy disappeared from WN forever. The real shitty thing is I had my own private watermarked versions of both batty ropes and silkworm, but I didn't want to risk sharing my copies.

-Me and above friend tried to trick totomds into sending us his private build which enabled global SDET mode and some other goodies. We posed as a fake webhosting company selling dedicated servers, offering one to totomds in exchange for the build. I pressured this friend to give toto his phone number (mother's house phone #) as the 'sales rep' because i had a squeaky child voice still at that point - lol. Toto played along for a while and then called us out on it - i guess it was too obvious!

-I extracted the database from my former worms site to get all the hashed passwords. I recovered some of those passwords, using them to gain access to admin accounts on other worms sites, from which i downloaded the databases/hashed passwords. I also stole the databases from a few sites which I hosted on my web server. RRkit, and Syc0's Anubis/Deano/Mini/Chicken23's short-lived league called AL, and maybe a small forum or two. Had a list of over 2000 people's decoded passwords at one point. Ultimately gained admin access to cl2k with a friend's help, got the database, and friend deleted the whole site. Cl2k never really came back after that. That sucks - cl2k was a great site. We very nearly did the same thing to blamethepixel.

-After meeting qp`Pure/Magic IRL decided i was too "cool" for my good online worms buddy Lex (who we had both also met previously), since he had a bunch of programming books and stuff at his house. Badmouthed him to Magic and worse still i told a bunch of people that Lex was weird and uncool (which was completely and objectively not true). Reading the above, was i cool? f@#! no, i was a pale faced geek/nerd/insecure asshole, 100%.

-Long after the above events Lex put his neck on the line to share a very exclusive gamebreakingly-powerful (now defunct) WA mod with me. I broke his trust once again and shared it with someone. Luckily this was a better person than me because afaik he never shared it or even used it.

This was back in a time when I only had a few real life friends. Worms and most of these people were all disproportionately big parts of my life. I have never talked about most of these things or apologized to any of these people. Too late now - just adding it in case people find it interesting.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:03 PM by j0e »

Offline Husk

« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2016, 11:20 AM »
have u thinking of getting professional help xD

Offline Free

« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2016, 12:05 PM »
First some background. Most of you won't remember me, but I once ran a fairly large worms website called "Joe's Worms Page for Dummies". This was a pretty big deal to me in my pre-adolescent non-existent life. I looked at the site's stats compulsively every day, and almost considered myself some kind of worms celebrity. I specialized in providing worms programs - everything you could think of - grave changers, a HL2 mod, up to and including full versions of Worms 2, WWP, and the Korean/Chinese/Japanese Worms games. I was on an obsessive all-consuming mission to collect everything, public and private.

Over the years I've done a lot of things in service of that mission which I am not proud of. Basically everyone who was my friend I betrayed in some way. To everyone I was an asshole to, I am very sorry. This was all at least 10-15 years ago, but I have never forgotten. I feel that these things should be added to the history books.

In no particular order:

-I sent Deadcode a program I 'wrote' in visual basic which had a hidden freeware component that i downloaded from a website for 'script kiddies'. That free script let you browse a target's hard drive and download things. The visible part that I wrote was a simple form where you click on a gif of a fat kid repeatedly to make him dance. My goal was to steal WA's source code. This was when I had access to various beta builds via Team15 and spoke with DC regularly. DC was too smart to heed my repeated advice to leave the program open (and download winsock dll's), but I am certain he knew (or later discovered) what was up. Good thing I was unsuccessful - probably would have released it and destroyed WA. I never really spoke to DC again after that.

-I sent the above program to TonY (author of RRkit) and stole his private build of 'batty ropes' back when it was still exclusive. I shared his copy with a friend and that friend distributed it widely. TonY got blamed and basically disappeared from WN after that.

-Using above program also stole good buddy (S.K.)'s private copy of Silkworm 4.13f (very powerful cheating abilities) which had "For XXXX" (buddy's name) plastered in the popup. I shared his copy with one or two people. Somehow fortunately it didn't get spread much beyond that. Shortly after this guy disappeared from WN forever. The real shitty thing is I had my own private watermarked versions of both batty ropes and silkworm, but I didn't want to risk sharing my copies.

-Me and above friend tried to trick totomds into sending us his private build which enabled global SDET mode and some other goodies. We posed as a fake webhosting company selling dedicated servers, offering one to totomds in exchange for the build. I pressured this friend to give toto his phone number (mother's house phone #) as the 'sales rep' because i had a squeaky child voice still at that point - lol. Toto played along for a while and then called us out on it - i guess it was too obvious!

-I extracted the database from my former worms site to get all the hashed passwords. I recovered some of those passwords, using them to gain access to admin accounts on other worms sites, from which i downloaded the databases/hashed passwords. I also stole the databases from a few sites which I hosted on my web server. RRkit, and Syc0's short-lived league called AL, and maybe a small forum or two. Had a list of over 2000 people's decoded passwords at one point. Ultimately gained admin access to cl2k with a friend's help, got the database, and friend deleted the whole site. Cl2k never really came back after that. That sucks - cl2k was a great site. We very nearly did the same thing to blamethepixel.

-After meeting qp`Pure/Magic IRL decided i was too "cool" for my good online worms buddy Lex (who we had both also met previously), since he had a bunch of programming books and stuff at his house. Badmouthed him to Magic and worse still i told a bunch of people that Lex was weird and uncool. Reading the above, was i cool? f@#! no, i was a pale faced geek/nerd/insecure asshole, 100%. Lex was actually very cool in that he gave no f@#!s and did his own thing, which i did not understand at the time.

-Long after the above events Lex put his neck on the line to share a very exclusive gamebreakingly-powerful (now defunct) WA mod with me. I broke his trust once again and shared it with someone. Luckily this was a better person than me because afaik he never shared it or even used it.

This was back in a time when I only had a few real life friends. Worms and most of these people were all disproportionately big parts of my life. I have never talked about most of these things or apologized to any of these people. Too late now - just adding it in case people find it interesting.

How about you would start your career by appreacting the art of worms instead trying to be a scrpit kiddie on a mission on our lovely game ;[ Sucks man. I know your site, played korean worms from it, wouldn't thought you liked also doing stuffs like this.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2016, 01:15 PM »
j0e - a few things:

1.  Good job coming clean on your ridiculous behavior, you were a bit of a megalomaniac

2.  Whatever happened to Ryan Brummit?

3.  I'm glad that DC saw through your bullshit, because you would have ruined any chance of updates to the game going forward

4.  For a player with one of the biggest worms sites ever, you sure seemed to hate the community, were content to watch it burn

5.  Hopefully you have changed, I've always been friends with you, and never suspected any of this

Offline ANO

« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2016, 01:29 PM »

:D :D :D

Offline Deadcode

« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2016, 01:49 PM »
Wow JoE, I never knew about this side of you. I hugely respect that you're finally coming clean about it though. That takes guts.

-I sent Deadcode a program I 'wrote' in visual basic which had a hidden freeware component that i downloaded from a website for 'script kiddies'. That free script let you browse a target's hard drive and download things. The visible part that I wrote was a simple form where you click on a gif of a fat kid repeatedly to make him dance. My goal was to steal WA's source code. This was when I had access to various beta builds via the alpha testing group and spoke with DC regularly. DC was too smart to heed my repeated advice to leave the program open (and download winsock dll's), but I am certain he knew (or later discovered) what was up. Good thing I was unsuccessful - probably would have released it and destroyed WA. I never really spoke to DC again after that.
I have no memory of this. I don't remember you sending me any programs, don't remember you asking me repeatedly to keep one open, nor talking about winsock DLLs. I have pretty much always been cautious about such things, though.

Maybe with further details my memory could be jogged. I'd be quite curious to know. Do you remember the approximate date when this happened, and what means you used to send the program to me?

I'm guessing that if you did send me this program, I either ran it under a VM or never got around to running it at all.

-I extracted the database from my former worms site to get all the hashed passwords. I recovered some of those passwords, using them to gain access to admin accounts on other worms sites, from which i downloaded the databases/hashed passwords. I also stole the databases from a few sites which I hosted on my web server. RRkit, and Syc0's short-lived league called AL, and maybe a small forum or two. Had a list of over 2000 people's decoded passwords at one point. Ultimately gained admin access to cl2k with a friend's help, got the database, and friend deleted the whole site. Cl2k never really came back after that. That sucks - cl2k was a great site. We very nearly did the same thing to blamethepixel.
Wow. I don't want to make you feel more guilty than you do already, but of all the things you've listed, this is probably the worst. The worst part about this is that there was no backup, and all the cl2k forum posts were lost forever. Although I did save some threads on my hard drive (mainly ones where replays were being shared).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 02:05 PM by Deadcode »

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2016, 02:32 PM »
This made me laugh  :D.

Whatever happened to Ryan Brummit?
Last I spoke to him was 10+ years ago - he was moving to the state of Washington, driving all the way from Missouri. He was emphatically done with worms at that point.

I have no memory of this. I don't remember you sending me any programs, don't remember you asking me repeatedly to keep one open, nor talking about winsock DLLs. I have pretty much always been cautious about such things, though.

Maybe with further details my memory could be jogged. I'd be quite curious to know. Do you remember the approximate date when this happened, and what means you used to send the program to me?

I'm guessing that if you did send me this program, I either ran it under a VM or never got around to running it at all.
A very long time ago on AIM - roughly 2003 or 2004. This was the gif: http://giphy.com/gifs/fat-11pVPEm3W6QS7S. I don't know if you ever opened it, but I definitely sent it. Figured you probably took precautions like that. The script added "|COMPLETE|" to the end of all the files it downloaded. I don't have regular access to my old worms files or I might be able to come up with a more exact date. I don't have the cl2k db anymore.

Quote from: Deadcode
Wow. I don't want to make you feel more guilty than you do already, but of all the things you've listed, this is probably the worst. The worst part about this is that there was no backup, and all the cl2k forum posts were lost forever. Although I did save some threads on my hard drive (mainly ones where replays were being shared).
Yes. That was a very major loss. I do feel worse now.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 08:21 PM by j0e »

Offline Husk

« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2016, 03:07 PM »
ae good to hear j0e, we all have our skeletons in closet so who am I to judge ur post =P