Forums > General discussion

Your Worms History

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sbaffo:
Are you taking a break? Hope so, you're like a living worms encyclopedia, as well as a nice guy, don't leave mr. vspyshka!

The Extremist:
I'm not retiring any time soon, though as you'll see, I don't have much to retire from...

I first played WA on the Nintendo 64 in 2001. First played it on PC in 2004. Initially made a bootleg disc from a rental copy (which got me banned from the official Team17 forum when I admitted to it), then in 2007 bought a legit copy (original Microprose disc, still using it - I've always considered no-CD patches to be unsavoury...yeah, I made a bootleg CD, but it was still a CD! :P). Afterwards, I made a new account on the Team17 forum and apologized for the bootleg.

I've never really participated in the "community". I played one match in the NNN open league years ago, and just the other day played in my first TUS cup. IMO, the "community" is too insular, always playing the same stuff the same way with the same people. A lot of long-running competitive games have this problem. I still play the old way, logging into AG and hosting for random players.

My best schemes are Team17 and Mole Shopper. I'm decent at Intermediate and Fly Shopper, and fair at BnG. I've never bothered to learn many pro tricks, so even if I was a "community" player, I wouldn't be very competitive. However, I'm more than good enough for the silent majority in AG, and I'm comfortable with that.

Also, I know how to use the rope, but I don't like traditional (Shopper, WxW, Rope Race, Proper) rope games - too mechanical, like the NFL (CFL FTW).

Sorry if this post contains a bit much attitude. That's where my name comes from - my "extreme" attitude/opinions.

Only claim to fame - I drew Bytor once. He also non-sarcastically told me "good girder" once. I'll take what I can get. ^_^

Y2JID:
everyone comes back for a little bit
as for clan hist sooo many
 ???

Sensei:

--- Quote from: The Extremist on February 27, 2017, 04:56 PM ---Only claim to fame - I drew Bytor once. He also non-sarcastically told me "good girder" once. I'll take what I can get. ^_^

--- End quote ---

Hahaha. I love when ppl write humble humorous sentences like this. Good one!

skunk3:
I don't play W:A much these days basically only because I do not have a computer desk and only have a laptop. xD

I do have a nice USB gaming keyboard, but playing W:A seriously with a keyboard in my lap while I'm sitting on the couch just doesn't feel right so I will just remain inactive until I manage to snag a cheap desk on Craigslist. Lately I've just been playing WMD a bit here and there.

I started playing Worms 2 at a friend's house via local hotseat play. This was towards the end of the Worms 2 era... 1998 or so. My friends liked the game but I fell in love with it. I would spend the night at his place sometimes and play Worms 2 all night after everyone went to bed. I learned of W:A coming out soon and bought a copy on release day. I was utterly hooked from the very start. I bought some console versions of the game but they all sucked. (N64, PS1, etc.) Even the Dreamcast version of WWP was crap.

Speaking of WWP, I was one of the people who jumped ship and moved on to WWP the moment it was available. If it wasn't for the later patches added to W:A, I would have never quit playing WWP. The overall aesthetic of the game menus seems nicer to me, and Wormpot options are pretty sweet. I am not sure how long I played WWP, to be honest. Eventually I went back to W:A and WWP died out.

I've taken breaks from Worms here and there. Sometimes for a few weeks, other times for several months. Aside from my current lack of a proper desk, another reason why I have been less active on W:A than I had been in the past is because I am one of the few older players who also actively played the newer titles - all of them. I spent a LOT of time playing Battlegrounds (Clan Wars) on PS4 in particular.

Even if I am absent from WormNET, odds are I am still playing a different Worms game. I doubt I will ever quit playing Worms altogether. The ONLY thing I do not like about W:A is the fact that the majority of my favorite players are long gone or very inactive, and also because the overall spirit of the playerbase in general is different. Everyone is so serious nowadays. I couldn't even count how many times I've spent *hours* chatting in #AG, laughing my ass off. My enjoyment of W:A is largely based upon who is online. It's not even the game itself that compels me to play. It's the people (or lack thereof) that make the experience for me.

Anyhow...

My favorite scheme overall is definitely Big RR. IMO it is the truest test of roping skills. No attacking, no luck involved... just consistency and speed over several turns rather than just one. I also like playing random custom schemes a lot.

Least favorite scheme? I don't really dislike any schemes, but I don't particularly enjoy stuff like battle races, walk for weapons, and a few others.

There's my entry. Looking forward to reading others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version