Forums
March 28, 2024, 07:38 PM

Author Topic: TUS Mobile Application  (Read 12096 times)

Offline MonkeyIsland

TUS Mobile Application
« on: February 25, 2021, 11:32 AM »
Alright guys, time to work! I've decided to polish my mobile app skills. Instead of writing small "testing" applications why not channel that effort into TUS. So it's official, one TUS app coming right up for both Android and iOS devices.

What features would you like to see in TUS app?
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline h3oCharles

Re: TUS Mobile Application
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 01:48 PM »
is it going to have guest mode?

Offline nino

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 01:58 PM »
Thats really good news ae!

GJ Monkey from the Island!!!!  JK ae!!
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 02:31 PM »
Oh, nice!

I'll brainstorm and get back later!  :-*

Offline Korydex

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 06:51 PM »
Cool! TUS works pretty poor on my smartphone in browser, it's really tricky to post something..

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 02:08 AM »
I think the app would be good to notify about stuff happening on TUS. For example, I would like to receive notifications if someone uploaded a new scheme on TUS. But this is me, most people I believe wouldn't like to receive notifications about that. So, the app should let you choose which notifications do you want to receive. Most people would like to receive notifications about Private/Direct messages or replies in forum posts. Others would like to be notified about cups or tournaments happening. Others would like to be notified about new challenges or even new maps. I believe the notifications would be a great feature to an app version of The Ultimate Site of Worms.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 08:14 AM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Tomi

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 07:02 AM »
what technology will you use to develop it? I am just curious :D

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 08:36 AM »
Honestly not even sure what would make a great TUS mobile app, is it going to be a clone of the whole thing with a few things tweaked or aiming to be different in a big way?

I guess part of me is thinking functionality should be limited in the sense reporting games and stuff would be kind of useless in the way you play from your computer and have the replay files on your computer. So i'm thinking it should focus on the things like Shoutbox, forums, statistics like standings, challenges, awards, etc.

Maybe even the mobile app could have the ability to send and receive @mentions similar to Discord(I don't know how it works so this may be a silly request lol), so if someone replies to you(by quoting you, or @yourname) you would see a notification?

Apart from that maybe something will come to me later lol.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 03:15 PM »
is it going to have guest mode?

I'm more leaning to make it for members. I don't see any use for a guest at the moment.

Cool! TUS works pretty poor on my smartphone in browser, it's really tricky to post something..

TUS website will also be updated for browsers. Separate thing from the app.

I think the app would be good to notify about stuff happening on TUS. For example, I would like to receive notifications if someone uploaded a new scheme on TUS. But this is me, most people I believe wouldn't like to receive notifications about that. So, the app should let you choose which notifications do you want to receive. Most people would like to receive notifications about Private/Direct messages or replies in forum posts. Others would like to be notified about cups or tournaments happening. Others would like to be notified about new challenges or even new maps. I believe the notifications would be a great feature to an app version of The Ultimate Site of Worms.

Yes one of the key features will be the notifications. Members will have the option to choose what part of TUS they are interested to receive notifications from.

what technology will you use to develop it? I am just curious :D
I used to code for Android via Java but now there's Flutter which uses Dart.

@Komo,
It won't be a clone but I'll be setting up mentions and a notification system for that. I'll be updating the TUS website as well.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Korydex

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 05:38 PM »
Matchmaking? Better late than never, maybe it will revive dying leagues.

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 02:26 PM »
Right after a match WA shows a QR code you scan with a smartphone and get instant report on TUS  ::)

Offline Kradie

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 02:49 PM »
This TUS application, what permission does it require out of your phone to be operable?
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 06:01 PM »
Matchmaking? Better late than never, maybe it will revive dying leagues.

Sure.

Right after a match WA shows a QR code you scan with a smartphone and get instant report on TUS  ::)

Interesting xD

This TUS application, what permission does it require out of your phone to be operable?

Only internet access obviously. (I have no interest of spying on anyone, if that's your concern)

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 06:17 PM »
I guess, QR can contain all needed data but the replay file of course. Also reports can stay not published until the winner come to TUS and back up the report with replay files, game ID can be used to juxtapose a replay with its report if the winner offer a bunch of replays to TUS. Replays should not be transferred to the site in this case, only IDs, no need to create unneccesary traffic. This feature would be useful to help people who keep forgetting to report, or who they played with or what scheme it was etc.

I started to learn web coding, i want climb this industry and maybe can be useful for TUS one day.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 06:19 PM by XanKriegor »

Offline Triad

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 03:27 PM »

I agree. It should be extensive. If someone reports a game against me, make a better record than me in a challenge, if a tournament I joined has started, or if someone posts on a thread I have posted, I would like to be notified.

Maybe a better looking DM interface for mobile would be nice? You know, something people can actually use. Like instead of creating a discord server or whatsapp group, people should be able to use clan/group dms here. Maybe DMs itself need some polishing, to allow things like group messages.

Btw a wild idea, but I gotta ask since TUS can snatch data from replay such as the map, chat etc. How about automatically creating MP4 GIFs of some replays by using WA's export video feature? Imagine you sending a TTRR run for a challenge, TUS automatically creates an MP4 for mobile users to watch. If it is possible to extract audio too, you could even have TUS YT channel for all the replays.

Maybe an even easier way is to have a bot like HostingBuddy to host TUS games and it can report automatically on behalf of winner. A bot hoster can also prevent things such as map-whoring, or even avoiding if we also put matchmaking into the equation. You start matchmaking, if you get a match, you're sent a password for the game the bot will host. So, no outsiders, only league players, and their friends possibly as spectators.

Hell, why stop with mobile app, maybe a PC app with features of TUS and a snooper.

Obviously, I don't expect everything I say to become reality. I am already grateful for what we have. I am just brainstorming. :D