Forums
March 29, 2024, 01:36 AM

Author Topic: TUS Mobile Application  (Read 12101 times)

Offline Sensei

Re: TUS Mobile Application
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 02:21 AM »
Great ideas. But in case you didn't notice, league is practically dead for years now. I hope TUS mobile app can make ppl come back, but realistically - it's against the odds at this point. Seems like pretty big project, MI should ask himself is this really worth that much of his time. Hope I'm wrong about all, honestly.

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 03:31 AM »
An ability to watch replay somehow would be great for sure. If you can make it happen then having a call to action for voting would be awesome.
Other than that I think the chatting system would be nice on mobile.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2021, 07:14 AM »
Great ideas. But in case you didn't notice, league is practically dead for years now. I hope TUS mobile app can make ppl come back, but realistically - it's against the odds at this point. Seems like pretty big project, MI should ask himself is this really worth that much of his time. Hope I'm wrong about all, honestly.
dead? u wot m8? at the time of writing this, this is the most recent game, done yesterday.
dead is too strong of a word here, inactive is what you might be looking for, relative to previous years
i wish someone (i might too, not sure how to do it properly tho) could do some more ambitious statistic analysis for arguments like this

An ability to watch replay somehow would be great for sure. If you can make it happen then having a call to action for voting would be awesome.

someone would need to develop a way to convert replay files to video files without recording them. theoretically you can get a png sequence of the replay, but to automate getting a video file (with audio as well) is something no one has challenged yet afaik
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 07:27 AM by TheMadCharles »

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2021, 08:08 AM »

Sensei, you are correct about the time and effort. It IS a pretty big project. The app itself takes a lot of time to develop. That aside, a lot of current TUS code must be tweaked. Last time I did a major update on TUS was back in 2012 and lots of stuff are outdated. For example TUS doesn't look good in a mobile screen and I have to make a brand new theme as well. There's no notification system, so that must be coded as well.

Regarding the leagues, let's assume the league is completely dead. TUS still survives as a community. If I disable leagues right now, there are still other members using TUS for different purposes. I don't look at this project as a way to boost league activity but a boost to W:A community itself.

I like the idea of converting a replay to video. I'll check it out, but if everything goes right, it would be the last part of the update.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2021, 08:16 AM »
Really great ideas by Triad. If match making become a reality I would play more leagues. In League of Legends I played ranked games a lot, many hours per day (I rarely played for fun, I used to play like more than 10 solo queue games per day). In WA I really don't have much patience to play ranked games. The very good part of WA for me is the creativity it brings. In League of Legends there is not much creative things you can do. You can make fan art, but that will not be inside the game. You can play with champions with bizarre builds or bizarre roles but nothing too creative that you can see inside the game as WA.

Many league players were not very cool to me too and many were very against new schemes they only thought about leagues and nothing more. If you don't play leagues you are noob, if you edit one thing in the TUS scheme, you are noob. And that made me avoid playing TUS leagues. I know many players who don't like TUS so much due to this kind of behavior of the players. However with time I started to enjoy TUS and see other aspects of the site such as a very good platform for schemes with the best actual editor (better than the game editor AND SchemeEddy), it is the only site I know which has scheme icons, this is really a great feature, the website is beautiful and well organized, I like the communities, the maps don't receive bullying tags like WMDB "UNIMAGINATIVE" (this is the worst tag and useless of all), etc, etc.

I believe with new updates coming people will start playing WA again. Like many people I see are playing again. Now with the custom terrains it is more fun to play in random maps.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 04:56 PM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Sensei

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2021, 11:04 AM »
dead is too strong of a word here, inactive is what you might be looking for, relative to previous years
i wish someone (i might too, not sure how to do it properly tho) could do some more ambitious statistic analysis for arguments like this

If 4-5 ppl are active constantly, that doesn't mean league is active.
Few years back you had competitive level through the roof with dozens of active members playing on daily basis. Yeah, it is dead right now, in my eyes. Hopefully MI will bring back some players with new ideas he got. My previous comment may seem negative to someone, but most of the ppl around here knows I want TUS to shine again.

If I disable leagues right now, there are still other members using TUS for different purposes. I don't look at this project as a way to boost league activity but a boost to W:A community itself.

When you put it like that, it makes lot of sense. Let us know if we can help in any way.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2021, 11:23 AM »
This TUS application, what permission does it require out of your phone to be operable?

Only internet access obviously. (I have no interest of spying on anyone, if that's your concern)

That's quite reassuring thank you.

So in that case....

Skimmed through other advices before giving the following advice.

My advice may seem a bit ambitious, expensive and complex? But could it be possible to integrate the games replay folder to the TUS App through some cloud technology? For example: When I am done with 1 roper, the game is saved on to my device as well as my computer. So I simply click report and select the game from the cloud folder and upload. The game files are pretty small, and shouldn't be much of an issue I guess, and the replay wouldn't be stored on the cloud indefinitely.

This same method could be used for other aspects as well...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 11:25 AM by Kradie »
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2021, 07:15 PM »
Have you ever thought about branching TUS out to other games? Even other games in the franchise if not completely other things?

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2021, 06:12 PM »
Thought about it? Yes but never felt like doing it. The power of W:A comes from replays, custom schemes and maps. It's customizable and TUS uses those feature as its fuel.  On other worms game we don't have this flexibility.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Triad

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2021, 06:18 PM »
A non-WA game that could benefit from TUS fully is perhaps Assetto Corsa. Has replays, custom tracks, and allow different racing disicplines (schemes). Races as league games, time trials as challenges, pretty much covers everything TUS has.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2021, 06:25 PM »
This is a worms site, how big of an racing simulator audience can you find here?

Offline Triad

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2021, 07:02 PM »
This is a worms site, how big of an racing simulator audience can you find here?

haha, obviously he shouldn't market it to us. What I meant was MI could use TUS code for other games too if he wanted to, and market it to the audience of the said games.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2021, 07:38 PM »

haha, obviously he shouldn't market it to us. What I meant was MI could use TUS code for other games too if he wanted to, and market it to the audience of the said games.
Oh okay. Thanks.

Offline Edoardo Moretti

• Italy Italy
  • Wacky Asperger and creator of War'n'Guns.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2021, 10:29 PM »
Nice Idea for a Mobile Application, but remember this...

as being a Mobile veteran (a Mobile Gaming user before becoming a PC Gaming user), be careful of some CURSED ads.
Some of them are scams or even Trojans, most of them are from Google Play than Apple's App Store because Google somehow prefers money and abusing people (yeah, Apple is greedy to but is not extremely incompetent and insane like Google).

So be careful and good luck with this project. I'm waiting the final results like the rest of the TUS.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2021, 06:29 AM »
There's no Ad on TUS website. There won't be any Ad on the TUS app either.