Forums > Announcements

WormNET Service Updates

<< < (2/13) > >>

Danger135:
Only few estetic ideas:
1. On regular websnoop could be link/button to redirect at legacy websnoop (for those which dont know about it, and regular websnoop dont work for they).
2. When will HB server restart and all HB hosted games goes crash, it can inform in lobby or in game chat little time ahead about it. Something like "HB server need restart, this game will end in 1 min".

CyberShadow:

--- Quote from: Danger135 on March 24, 2020, 10:14 AM ---Only few estetic ideas:
1. On regular websnoop could be link/button to redirect at legacy websnoop (for those which dont know about it, and regular websnoop dont work for they).
--- End quote ---
What is this circumstance?

--- Quote from: Danger135 on March 24, 2020, 10:14 AM ---2. When will HB server restart and all HB hosted games goes crash, it can inform in lobby or in game chat little time ahead about it. Something like "HB server need restart, this game will end in 1 min".
--- End quote ---
That's not how we restart HB. All games continue in the background until all games are done, only then the old HB exits. Today HB crashes are very rare (less than 1 per month).

Danger135:
On older browsers page snoop.wormnet.net looks like in attached picture. There could be somewhere for this issue "SOS" button for redirect to page http://snoop.wormnet.net/snooper/legacy.html, which work normal. If somebody have old browser and dont know about working legacy snooper, have just bad luck? Simple hypertext "if it not work, click here", or "older version is >here<" could help they.

SigmaTel71:
The warning showed up in servers list.  ::)

CyberShadow:

--- Quote from: Danger135 on March 25, 2020, 02:37 AM ---On older browsers page snoop.wormnet.net looks like in attached picture. There could be somewhere for this issue "SOS" button for redirect to page http://snoop.wormnet.net/snooper/legacy.html, which work normal. If somebody have old browser and dont know about working legacy snooper, have just bad luck? Simple hypertext "if it not work, click here", or "older version is >here<" could help they.

--- End quote ---

Sorry I haven't replied to this in so long. I didn't like anything that I could say.
W:A is a 90's game, so retro computing and maintaining support for old technology is close to our heart. The game was even backported to Windows 95.
However, such endeavors are not free and they take an ever increasing amount of effort to maintain.
In case of the Web Snooper, it was originally written to support Internet Explorer 6, because it was still widely used at the time.
But, adding new features while maintaining such compatibility gets very messy, so I hope you will forgive me if I say that I think it would benefit the Worms community more if we spent our time on new features that benefit everyone instead of compatibility with old systems that only benefit some very rare use cases.
So, I would rather not add a link, because I don't want people to think that the old version is being maintained. In fact, it could stop working at any moment, and I'm surprised it works at all currently, due to the recent changes in the XHR API used between the JS and the server.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version