Forums
March 28, 2024, 02:25 PM

Author Topic: WormNET Service Updates  (Read 15830 times)

Offline TheKaren

Re: WormNET Service Updates
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2021, 10:31 PM »
so far, i played hyst and golf, and people were:

-golf with no retreat time was a mess, people had to constantly knock others away from shooting spots

I've always played golf with racing stuff on, 3.8 calls it phased worms, have you tried that yet?

Generally speaking after your turn 5 seconds wasn't enough to travel to next section anyway so on next turn you would move with jetpack or rope then shoot, so I see why they removed retreat time, it's just a waste really.

i wonder how many times will people just hit themselves trying to do a full power bahaha

That happened to us a lot to begin with lol, the power goes to 100% then back to 0% then explodes, rather than going up and down and up and down forever until time runs out, which is what we THOUGHT it would be like.

I have always disliked notching and telecow, but do you know what? I think changes are supposed to help people in general, and not just the league players; these changes are highly oriented to avoid telecows -which are common in league games-, but most of the community doesn't actively play leagues, and telecows are self-regulated (people just don't do them, this might be biased but i haven't seen a single person do telecows in a funner in years).

I've pretty much always disliked notching as well.

Even the word telecow is nonsense to someone like me, who has been playing the game since 1999 and piling, suicide, have always been a valid strategy, whether someone likes it or not shouldn't matter, is it fair or not, should be the only factor, and it IS fair.

I feel like the schemes HB use should actually reflect how they are played at the top level by League players, who are usually(not always though) the most dedicated and skilled players, and if anyone wants to play it for fun they are free to change the scheme however they see fit, for fun.

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with these variations of the scheme, but that's what they should be, a variation, not a change to the scheme as we all know it.

Why would you make your average player play schemes based on league players preferences? I don't get it

So i've played WA since 1999, and I am sure there are others out there who will perhaps confirm some of the following things I talk about.

Leagues, funners, experimental games, there has always been piling, suiciding, knocking worms, sacrifice that can seem ridiculous but has a purpose.

I've saw 2v2 ropers where 1 player would kill themself as fast as possible because how much of an advantage the other, highly skilled player has in a 1v2 situation, especially in tricky maps, it's a tactic, it's risky, but it's sometimes worth it, having the option to do these things only increases the amount of tactical possibilities.

Any attempt to prevent suicide by teleport, piling, knocking etc, is an attempt, in my eyes for one, to water down schemes simply because some people don't like those things personally.

This doesn't apply just to Leagues, because the leagues generally used the schemes people were familiar with anyway, it actually looks like from my perspective that it's actually people who play the schemes seriously who want to change them, not the other way around.

I don't like when people hide on top in roper, but it's a valid strategy and you can easily fend against it if you are good enough.

My main issue with the whole anti-suicide thing in hysteria is the fact people are trying to create an issue where there really isn't one to begin with, literally the scheme is already fair and balanced, actually I personally believe it to be one of the more balanced schemes that has ever existed in the history of the game, UNTIL people start trying to change it!

Edit - I just want to point out, mentioning how long i've played isn't me trying to say "I've played this long so my opinion is more important to all you simple peasants who haven't played as long!"  :D

It's just me trying to explain that it's how i've experienced things pretty much since this game started.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 10:42 PM by Komito »

Offline Gabriel

• Slacker is a queefer

• Chile Chile
  • Might come back later idk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2021, 01:13 AM »
Quote from: Komito

I've always played golf with racing stuff on, 3.8 calls it phased worms, have you tried that yet?

uhhh i don't remember, i wasn't the host

Generally speaking after your turn 5 seconds wasn't enough to travel to next section anyway so on next turn you would move with jetpack or rope then shoot, so I see why they removed retreat time, it's just a waste really.

Anyway, I don't mind the transition to no retreat time, but then it would need worms to not be able to hit each other -by default-, which didn't seem to be the case last night (when I played golf)

I feel like the schemes HB use should actually reflect how they are played at the top level by League players, who are usually(not always though) the most dedicated and skilled players, and if anyone wants to play it for fun they are free to change the scheme however they see fit, for fun.

I don't know about this one; I would say it should work for the majority. As far as I remember, league Shopper is played without Bazooka, and I would say most funners are played with an infinite supply. Most people won't touch Leagues, anyway. I would have agreed with this 10 years ago, when people still showed interest in competitive gameplay.

My main issue with the whole anti-suicide thing in hysteria is the fact people are trying to create an issue where there really isn't one to begin with, literally the scheme is already fair and balanced, actually I personally believe it to be one of the more balanced schemes that has ever existed in the history of the game, UNTIL people start trying to change it!

Yes, telecow balances random bad starting placements; but I still don't get why would you just change it for HB where people don't even try to telecow.
Mole shopper is the worst thing in the world.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2021, 03:18 PM »
I don't know about this one; I would say it should work for the majority. As far as I remember, league Shopper is played without Bazooka, and I would say most funners are played with an infinite supply.

I honestly can't remember the Shopper scheme I very rarely play that scheme so whenever I do pretty much just accept whatever the host sets.

Most people won't touch Leagues, anyway. I would have agreed with this 10 years ago, when people still showed interest in competitive gameplay.

Yeah, I agree with that.

While I'd like to think most players still enjoy playing competitively, as in, play to win mentality, many years ago i'd claim the majority of players were interested in playing competitively and having their victories reported to leagues to compare with other players, these days I highly doubt that's true, at least it's definitely true for the classic schemes we're used to.

Yes, telecow balances random bad starting placements; but I still don't get why would you just change it for HB where people don't even try to telecow.

Well, my opinion is not to change it, it always has been and always will be to leave it how it is, with no rules and normal turn order.

I've played Hysteria for a long time, many years without a problem, then slowly a few people influenced more people, that spread over time and suddenly you have ignorant noobs writing "telecow!" at you thinking they know better than you, even though the scheme literally has no rules!

What makes it worse is a few times when I try explain to them the truth and history of the scheme, and tell them I have no problem playing with a few rules added, as long as they actually write these rules before the match begins. They start swearing and insulting me because they actually believe I am wrong... This actually caused me to lose interest because I got fed up arguing with ignorant people.

Which brings me to my next point, why do people use the term "telecow"? It is literally wrong, which leads to ignorant people arguing with you about it, that can be frustrating because of people being ignorant.

For starters, a cow implies you broke the rules, Hysteria doesn't have any rules so it's impossible to cow.

When you teleport to another player that's called piling, when you teleport above another player to kill yourself and get grave damage, that's called suicide, when you use Jetpack to pile or suicide, the name doesn't change either.

Telecide, telepile, jetcide and jetpile are terms i've seen thrown around, while I don't like them at least those are actually useful inside a Hysteria game because, for example, at least if playing 2v2 you can quickly type "jetcide" which is faster than typing "Use jetpack to suicide". Not to mention they are technically correct unlike "telecow".

We need people to stop using the term "telecow" in normal Hysteria matches because they really look ignorant, not to mention they are literally wrong(unless they specifically mention they are playing with extra rules including piling and suicide with teleport is against the rules, which still wouldn't make doing this with jetpack against the rules). Stop teaching people bad habits!

Edit - Also, if telecow doesn't actually mean you've cowed, and simply is the term used for piling and suiciding with teleport or jetpack, then it is extremely misleading and think the name should be changed so it doesn't make innocent people feel like they have broke imaginary rules.

If this is how it is actually used, then I think that's pretty lame, a way to make people feel bad for something entirely normal but that another person personally doesn't like.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 03:31 PM by Komito »

Offline Korydex

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2021, 03:58 PM »
Piling enemy worms and suiciding is of course normal in league games but I can see why people hate it in funners. It's a scheme where this tactic is the easiest to use and people don't want and don't know how to counter it. I can 'telecow' in funner when I'm in a big disadvantage and there's literally nowhere else to go.
And I think random turn order is a bad idea anyway.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2021, 05:05 PM »
Piling enemy worms and suiciding is of course normal in league games but I can see why people hate it in funners. It's a scheme where this tactic is the easiest to use and people don't want and don't know how to counter it.

Piling enemy worms and suiciding has been normal from the start of the entire Worms franchise, funners or not.

In fact, these strategies come from actual wars and battles, fights and other examples from real history of humanity, and are applied to games and other situations throughout the world.

If people cannot handle them, I believe that should be their issue to tolerate instead of trying to degrade the quality of a scheme.

Edit - Instead of just saying, it should be their issue to tolerate, I should explain that I mean more people should try and educate others on why piling and suicide are valid and useful strategies that should not be hated and actually encouraged because when I see people playing at the highest level using a mixture of tactics and strategies depending on each players strengths and weaknesses and also the map design and who gets 1st turn and who has control of what sections of the map, it's just more exciting to be able to adapt to different situations against different players.

Sure, some people abuse suiciding and piles and make it their strict style, and that genuinely does frustrate some people, but that's life, some people are going to abuse anything in any way they can, but that doesn't mean those things are inherently bad, or make suiciding and piling itself bad. In fact, it makes it easier to deal with those people if you stay calm because you know exactly what's coming, they are so predictable lol.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 05:30 PM by Komito »

Offline StepS

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2021, 05:43 PM »
HostingBuddy schemes have been updated!
The following classic schemes have been updated:
  • BnG - changed to classic scheme, with "auto-place worms by ally" taking effect if manual placement is disabled by the host (manual placement defaults to ON)
  • Golf - all worms fully phased, land retreat is now set at 3 seconds
  • Hysteria - changed to classic worm order
  • Tower Rope Race - infinite teleport has been added
  • Warmer - changed to classic scheme with 0s automatic retreat.

Three brand-new schemes have been added:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:05 PM by StepS »
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2021, 05:52 PM »
The following classic schemes have been updated:
  • BnG
  • Golf
  • Hysteria
  • Tower Rope Race
  • Warmer

What changes have been made? Is there a document anywhere like a ReadMe? Maybe on the WKB site?

I'd rather not have to download and physically check each scheme individually.

Different from your original post on the 3rd January? I checked and didn't see it modified since then.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 05:54 PM by Komito »

Offline Korydex

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2021, 06:41 PM »
What's a Free Warmer?

Online FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2021, 10:25 PM »

OMG! I almost cried now. I wish I could talk to DumbBongChow and Fighter to show these amazing news! Neocombat and Plop War Rubber Version took plenty of time testing the schemes, balancing them. I need to check if they were updated to 3.8 or if they are still the same (but some new 3.8 features would probably be good to them, unfortunately they are not here to update). I will surely use HostingBuddy more times now.
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Gabriel

• Slacker is a queefer

• Chile Chile
  • Might come back later idk
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2021, 11:00 PM »

Well, my opinion is not to change it, it always has been and always will be to leave it how it is, with no rules and normal turn order.

Oh yeah I said "you", should have been "they", but yeah, I meant it as in "why would someone..."

OMG! I almost cried now. I wish I could talk to DumbBongChow and Fighter to show these amazing news! Neocombat and Plop War Rubber Version took plenty of time testing the schemes, balancing them. I need to check if they were updated to 3.8 or if they are still the same (but some new 3.8 features would probably be good to them, unfortunately they are not here to update). I will surely use HostingBuddy more times now.

UISxFighter? that guy used to spend a lot of time creating and testing schemes. I don't think he plays anymore :( played a lot with him during the 2009-2013 era
Mole shopper is the worst thing in the world.

Online FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2021, 11:37 PM »

UISxFighter? that guy used to spend a lot of time creating and testing schemes. I don't think he plays anymore :( played a lot with him during the 2009-2013 era
Yes, exactly him. A brazilian player. He seemed to be a sensitive person and he had some irritability. But, he was very creative player, very good on the schemes he used to play and worked hard on scheme testings. I was his friend in WA, and used to play and test schemes with him. Good to know people still remember him here, he was very active on that era.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 11:39 PM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2021, 01:50 AM »
Oh yeah I said "you", should have been "they", but yeah, I meant it as in "why would someone..."

Ah, no worries lol.

I guess some people hate piling and suiciding so much they want to change it to suit them.

I'm curious as to what freewarm and black hole bng are, not by actually trying them though, hopefully someone can write about them somewhere.

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2021, 01:14 AM »
Darts - Low Gravity is now permanently enabled and thus removed from the scheme. All worms and weapons fully phased.
I got used to it after two inertial attempts to activate LG, feels good and modern, thanks!

Offline philie

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2021, 11:42 PM »
without opening a can of worms.

:D didnt really work
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:43 PM by philie »

Offline StepS

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2021, 12:22 AM »
HostingBuddy schemes have been updated once again!

Changes:
  • Boom Race: fixed the issue where you could not push yourself with petrol
  • Jetpack Race: Fixed incorrect fuel/retreat settings
  • Kaos Normal: changed from 7 to 10 base craterate for faster casual play (as seen in most Kaos variations posted online), and tweaked crate type probabilities. Weapon crates now appear slightly more often than utilities and health crates. There is a 30% chance of a crate not falling each turn. The probabilities are as follows:
    • Weapon: 37%
    • Utility: 30%
    • Health: 33%
    • All 10 crates falling: 70%
    • 9 crates falling: 91%
    • 8 crates falling: 97.3%
    • 7 crates falling: >99%
    This is to make the update smoother for those who already got used to the old 7-crate rate.
  • Kaos Pro: stays the same, but craterate bumped from 7 to 8 (flat rate).
  • Rubber Plop War (minor fixes)
  • Shopper (Mole power increased to 5 stars)

New Schemes:
  • Kaos Mole Shopper
  • Only Crates (credit: Mega`Adnan)
  • Rowy (credit: philie). Now available as a category on WMDB! (please upload more dedicated maps)

As usual, you can download this iteration for your private use under this post.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]