Forums
March 28, 2024, 07:53 PM

Author Topic: Worms Armageddon 3.8.0 changelog sneak peek  (Read 43740 times)

Offline Sensei

Re: Worms Armageddon 3.8.0 changelog sneak peek
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2019, 05:06 AM »

at this point, I'd rather move on to another game than to bore myself to death

Busting devs balls won't get us anywhere closer to releasement of this update.  So if you want to move on - do it. Silently ;)

Offline Tomi

« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2019, 07:04 AM »

at this point, I'd rather move on to another game than to bore myself to death

Busting devs balls won't get us anywhere closer to releasement of this update.  So if you want to move on - do it. Silently ;)
+1, gtfo noobs, but silently please ;)

Online MonkeyIsland

« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2019, 06:29 AM »
The list of update changes alone should tell you that the developers have done their job. The stalling is coming from somewhere else.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2019, 10:24 AM »
The list of update changes alone should tell you that the developers have done their job. The stalling is coming from somewhere else.

It could as well be Team17, it is ultimately up to them to decide whenever a new update should be released. That's what I wager on.

Usually in video game companies, developers are completely forbidden from talking with anyone outside of the company about anything, and all communication needs to be done by assigned and properly trained spokespersons ("community managers"). All information then usually flows in only one direction - out of the company and only on strictly defined schedules, and players have no choice but to sit and wait until the next PR announcement happens on the company's whim. But, this is not the situation that we are in. Our agreements with Team17 do restrict us in what we can do in many ways, but our duty remains primarily to the community. Or, at least, that's how I feel anyway.

For full quote, visit this thread
https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/worms-armageddon/3-8-32380/

Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2019, 10:14 PM »
Call me crazy, but I think WA only needed 1 patch throughout its lifespan. With features being high resolution support, infinite turn time and ability to minimize the game.

Was there really a demand for big and colored maps back in the day? This feature is the reason why modern worms era is so bad. Everyone plays on big maps instead of tight ones. I hate big rr, tower rr, trick race and other noob schemes that were made because of that feature.

Someone said replays are a must-have or a league wouldn't function properly. Well, there were leagues before replays, not to mention built-in ranks which allowed to play ranked games within the game. They could bring it back instead of adding useless features.

HostingBuddy? Why not implement wkWormNAT into the game so people can host games on their own without having to memorize a bunch of commands or enable port-forwarding in router's settings? This is very complicated for the average user.

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, but I feel that so much effort was wasted while it could be used more efficiently (e.g. for creating a matchmaking system or at least bringing ranks back).

But how will I move on with my life without spending my whole day playing mole shoppers and supersheepers with random people dependent of HB?  :'(
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline Sensei

« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2019, 06:12 AM »
HostingBuddy? Why not implement wkWormNAT into the game so people can host games on their own without having to memorize a bunch of commands or enable port-forwarding in router's settings? This is very complicated for the average user.

I said this couple of times. StepS found time to answer me once. Apparently it would be illegal to implement outside feature in to the game, cause T17 are still the ones making final decisions. (or something like that)

Would be nice tho.. For newcomers clicking "Host" button, that it actually works.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Someone said replays are a must-have or a league wouldn't function properly. Well, there were leagues before replays, not to mention built-in ranks which allowed to play ranked games within the game. They could bring it back instead of adding useless features.

A League system integrated into WormNet would be ideal, but since "the big hack" I doubt that will happen again, after that sure we had Leagues before replays were around but there were so many issues, it was easier to cheat, replays also help to identify possible tampering when players decide to quit the game because they are losing, replays also help to identify people breaking the rules of any scheme because we can watch the game again.

Without replays, unfortunately you can't trust everyone to play fairly :/

Also, those schemes you mentioned are not just for noobs, as everything, it starts off with a low skill level, and with practise and passion, people get ridiculously good.

The only scheme I would definitely say takes no skill to play, would be Comet Dodging, obviously, everything else requires a great amount of skill/dedication at the highest level.

I think colour maps are really nice, I can't imagine this game without them now, it would be much duller...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 11:51 AM by TheKomodo »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2019, 03:02 PM »
Regardless of cheating, and leagues, replays are just nice to have so you can watch games, make movies, use them educationally to learn stuff, show off cool tricks, and it's a great way to relive past glorious competitive games such as Playoffs and stuff, I always found it useful to watch Clanner Playoffs after they finished because usually you weren't able to watch as both clans took up all the spectator slots.

I'm just disappointed that it's hard to find ttrr players anymore because everyone plays big rr instead.

I feel you there man, I wish Darts was active, and BnG could reach it's former glory with the b2b community hosting Tournaments and playing friendly 2v2/3v3 games, not to mention being able to compete in active Clanners again...

However, at least we were there to enjoy it while it lasted, all good things must come to an end, such is life.

I feel grateful and privileged to have shared so many great moments and fun games with everyone over the years, even the villains like Doubletime were not boring lol.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2019, 08:43 AM »
Who knows how many people gave up because they couldn't figure out how to host a game.

True, people are not as keen to learn these days unlike before, seems they only want to play games that do everything for them these days lol.

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2019, 10:43 AM »
Was there really a demand for big and colored maps back in the day?
Was there a demand for electricity back in stone age?

This feature is the reason why modern worms era is so bad. Everyone plays on big maps instead of tight ones. I hate big rr, tower rr, trick race and other noob schemes that were made because of that feature.
We shouldn't promote drug use on TUS.
Do it in safety of your home guys, stop sharing opinions with others when you're high.

there were leagues before replays
Were they any good? Usability, cheat-proofing etc

built-in ranks which allowed to play ranked games within the game. They could bring it back
How long would it last before getting hackered again?

Why not implement wkWormNAT into the game
It currently depends on a community server, what if it goes down? If everyone was to start using it, would the server go fine with this extra load?
Remaking all of this into an official feature with proper support would be great yeah.

As for cheaters, some kind of anti-cheating software could be developed. Just like it's done in counter-strike and other games.
While some kinds of cheats can be avoided by restructuring the game logic, others aren't really avoidable - such as macros or aimbots. One exception to this are anti-cheat modules, such as GameGuard and Valve Anti-Cheat. We really don't want to go in this direction, since such software usually intrudes on players' privacy and is expensive (in terms of resources) to develop and maintain.
[...]
Blocking WormKit-like software is impossible, short of going the GameGuard-like rootkit-spyware route.

it's hard to find ttrr players anymore because everyone plays big rr instead.
Just play tight Big RR maps then.
Doubt TTRR's player count would increase much even if Big RR was suddenly gone forever. I wouldn't want to train for months, find a good keyboard and find a worthy opponent who did the same, all just to have a good game.
I guess bigrr is like billiards and ttrr is like snooker...

billiards is more accesible for most, while snooker requires more precise control

Without replays, unfortunately you can't trust everyone to play fairly :/
*shrugs* I can't trust everyone to play fairly even with replays.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 10:44 AM by WTF-8 »
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline Korydex

« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2019, 12:48 PM »
WA has UPnP and host bot atleast, some games don't even have that. However an option to use WormNAT out of the box could be added I guess. But anyway I don't think that people who couldn't figure out hosting would become valuable part of the community

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2019, 05:09 PM »
I love the word "hackered"  :D

Reminds me of what we say when we are tired - nackered.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2019, 05:25 PM »
Unfortunately the world isn't full of sapiophiles  :'(

Offline Ashtar

« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2019, 01:56 AM »
Version 3.7.0.0 was released right before Christmas. Could there be an upcoming Christmas surprise for us again? Just my random thought.

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2019, 05:49 PM »
You are correct in that nearly all of my time lately has been spent in relation to setting up the new server. However, I'd like to add to that, that server-related matters are solely my responsibility, and, as far as I understand, and excluding doing anything disagreeable, there is nothing that I can do to expedite the next update's release.
Might be time to start exploring these "disagreeable" options ;).