Forums
March 28, 2024, 11:24 AM

Author Topic: Worms Armageddon 3.8.0 changelog sneak peek  (Read 43725 times)

Offline Ytrojan

Re: Worms Armageddon 3.8.0 changelog sneak peek
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2019, 07:57 PM »
Was there really a demand for big and colored maps back in the day?
Was there a demand for electricity back in stone age?

This feature is the reason why modern worms era is so bad. Everyone plays on big maps instead of tight ones. I hate big rr, tower rr, trick race and other noob schemes that were made because of that feature.
We shouldn't promote drug use on TUS.
Do it in safety of your home guys, stop sharing opinions with others when you're high.

there were leagues before replays
Were they any good? Usability, cheat-proofing etc

built-in ranks which allowed to play ranked games within the game. They could bring it back
How long would it last before getting hackered again?

Why not implement wkWormNAT into the game
It currently depends on a community server, what if it goes down? If everyone was to start using it, would the server go fine with this extra load?
Remaking all of this into an official feature with proper support would be great yeah.

As for cheaters, some kind of anti-cheating software could be developed. Just like it's done in counter-strike and other games.
While some kinds of cheats can be avoided by restructuring the game logic, others aren't really avoidable - such as macros or aimbots. One exception to this are anti-cheat modules, such as GameGuard and Valve Anti-Cheat. We really don't want to go in this direction, since such software usually intrudes on players' privacy and is expensive (in terms of resources) to develop and maintain.
[...]
Blocking WormKit-like software is impossible, short of going the GameGuard-like rootkit-spyware route.

it's hard to find ttrr players anymore because everyone plays big rr instead.
Just play tight Big RR maps then.
Doubt TTRR's player count would increase much even if Big RR was suddenly gone forever. I wouldn't want to train for months, find a good keyboard and find a worthy opponent who did the same, all just to have a good game.
I guess bigrr is like billiards and ttrr is like snooker...

billiards is more accesible for most, while snooker requires more precise control

Without replays, unfortunately you can't trust everyone to play fairly :/
*shrugs* I can't trust everyone to play fairly even with replays.
1. I think the Stone Age didn't even know what "electric" even MEANT!
2. Drugs are bad, M'Kay.
3. Not to mention, all of the lost history because the matches never got recorded.
4. I think a wrestling-like "belt" system might be good, since I bet that wouldn't be hacked anytime soon. If a player hasn't played in 6 months, vacate the title.
5. We can last one more version with separate WormNAT, it won't be the end of the world. Besides, adding WormNAT would only delay this version FURTHER.
6. Or worse: DENUVO!
7. Plus, noobs (and noobs at heart, like I am.) HATE timed matches.
8. On top of that, Replays are the reason we can look at many players today. The matches we played before the replays are like the Early history of TV: Nothing got recorded, so there's LITERALLY nothing to watch because nothing even EXISTS these days. Even now, replays are the KEY to the preservation of the history of this game.
Imagine What a Buck Could Do!

I now declare a brand new league (and the successor to the failed Ultra League): WormsRF!

Offline Korydex

« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2019, 04:20 AM »
Was there really a demand for big and colored maps back in the day?
Was there a demand for electricity back in stone age?

This feature is the reason why modern worms era is so bad. Everyone plays on big maps instead of tight ones. I hate big rr, tower rr, trick race and other noob schemes that were made because of that feature.
We shouldn't promote drug use on TUS.
Do it in safety of your home guys, stop sharing opinions with others when you're high.

there were leagues before replays
Were they any good? Usability, cheat-proofing etc

built-in ranks which allowed to play ranked games within the game. They could bring it back
How long would it last before getting hackered again?

Why not implement wkWormNAT into the game
It currently depends on a community server, what if it goes down? If everyone was to start using it, would the server go fine with this extra load?
Remaking all of this into an official feature with proper support would be great yeah.

As for cheaters, some kind of anti-cheating software could be developed. Just like it's done in counter-strike and other games.
While some kinds of cheats can be avoided by restructuring the game logic, others aren't really avoidable - such as macros or aimbots. One exception to this are anti-cheat modules, such as GameGuard and Valve Anti-Cheat. We really don't want to go in this direction, since such software usually intrudes on players' privacy and is expensive (in terms of resources) to develop and maintain.
[...]
Blocking WormKit-like software is impossible, short of going the GameGuard-like rootkit-spyware route.

it's hard to find ttrr players anymore because everyone plays big rr instead.
Just play tight Big RR maps then.
Doubt TTRR's player count would increase much even if Big RR was suddenly gone forever. I wouldn't want to train for months, find a good keyboard and find a worthy opponent who did the same, all just to have a good game.
I guess bigrr is like billiards and ttrr is like snooker...

billiards is more accesible for most, while snooker requires more precise control

Without replays, unfortunately you can't trust everyone to play fairly :/
*shrugs* I can't trust everyone to play fairly even with replays.
1. I think the Stone Age didn't even know what "electric" even MEANT!
2. Drugs are bad, M'Kay.
3. Not to mention, all of the lost history because the matches never got recorded.
4. I think a wrestling-like "belt" system might be good, since I bet that wouldn't be hacked anytime soon. If a player hasn't played in 6 months, vacate the title.
5. We can last one more version with separate WormNAT, it won't be the end of the world. Besides, adding WormNAT would only delay this version FURTHER.
6. Or worse: DENUVO!
7. Plus, noobs (and noobs at heart, like I am.) HATE timed matches.
8. On top of that, Replays are the reason we can look at many players today. The matches we played before the replays are like the Early history of TV: Nothing got recorded, so there's LITERALLY nothing to watch because nothing even EXISTS these days. Even now, replays are the KEY to the preservation of the history of this game.
you're on crack

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 16, 2019, 03:02 AM »
Any news?

Offline Godmax

« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2019, 11:54 AM »
1 year passed they are shitting on us. Not that we need 3.8 ofc

Offline Talon79

• Italy Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2019, 12:56 PM »
You payd them? or they work for anyone of us?
Respect for who still working on this project and try give to the comunity something to waiting for.

I just hope that there will be a chance to have a Project X (or similar) option for modding the game.

« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2019, 06:40 PM »
bye worms

Offline Sensei

« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2019, 07:24 PM »
bye worms

I think you said goodbye long time ago, my friend ;)

Offline Idaho

« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2020, 11:53 AM »
I've been stalking this forum ever since the announcement for 3.8 was made but I'm creating an account now in the hope of getting more informations... Are there any news concerning 3.8?

Its been more than a year already, I can't believe things went the way they should have, what is preventing us from enjoying the 3.8 update?

Have Deadcode and Cybershadow given news elsewhere on the internet or did they really become that silent?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 11:59 AM by Idaho »

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2020, 12:27 AM »
The best place to contact Cybershadow and Deadcode is on IRC. See here: https://worms2d.info/Worms_on_GameSurge

Cyber said in a previous post in this thread that he'd rather post an update than have us speculate and draw conclusions..

I check this thread every day but haven't been seeking news elsewhere. Please let us know if you hear anything!

Offline ohms

« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2020, 08:33 PM »
Keep hope alive!

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2020, 07:45 PM »
Another month has passed.. any news about 3.8?

Offline Idaho

« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2020, 09:34 AM »
Another month has passed.. any news about 3.8?

Yeah, sadly, there's still nothing and we're kept in the dark, I believe the problem is on the Team17 side...
It has been more than a year now since the announcement, something is obviously wrong somewhere but yeah, no infos, we can only speculate here and hope that this thread will get some update soon enough...

Offline Kradie

« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2020, 02:47 PM »
They are after all in low quality of 112 colors.
This is a temporary technical limitation of the current versions!

https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/worms-armageddon/wmdbs-licensing-problem-any-lawyers-in-the-house-32646/

According to CS posts, wmbd will be integrated into WA. He suggest the coppyright issue to be fixed sooner than later. I think this can take up to a year to be fixed. In other words, 3.8 development is still active in development.

Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline ohms

« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2020, 05:22 PM »
Quote from: Kradie
wmbd will be integrated into WA.

So you will be able to search WA maps from within the game?
Why from wmdb though?  All my maps are on tus-wa only.   :-[

Offline skunk3

« Reply #149 on: May 04, 2020, 06:09 AM »
I want absolutely nothing to delay 3.8 or any other update. Get Windows or any other proper OS.

There are posts going back several *YEARS* talking about this shit. I'm a patient guy but by this point the situation is comical and depressing at the same time.

I don't even care about a big 3.8 release per se... just release incremental updates, like a 3.7.xxx whatever. Add little fixes and features whenever they are ready. There's no need to stockpile it all and make a huge update. At this point ANY update would re-ignite my faith that something can and will happen, even if it was to address minor bugs or backend stuff. I feel like a donkey who has had a carrot dangled in front of them to goad it into working until it died. Metaphorically speaking. I mean yeah, the game is perfectly playable as it is and it wouldn't be the end of the world if no update ever came out, but as I said before, I'd rather just know for sure that nothing is going to happen so I stop thinking about it and wishing for it.

It also really pisses me off that there's a relatively small circle of people who are 'in the know' regarding all of this stuff and everyone else is kept in the dark. This game is old and has a small, tight, yet fairly inactive community so absolutely NOTHING should be 'hush-hush.' Everything should be transparent and up-to-date because otherwise why bother working to enhance / maintain a dying game?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 06:11 AM by skunk3 »