Forums
March 28, 2024, 01:38 PM

Author Topic: Worms Armageddon 3.8.0 changelog sneak peek  (Read 43728 times)

Offline lolicon-guy

• Chile Chile
    • View Profile
Re: Worms Armageddon 3.8.0 changelog sneak peek
« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2020, 12:41 AM »
If a changelog was posted earlier in time, what kind of NDA would disallow it to keep constant enough?

Offline CyberShadow

• Moldova Moldova
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2020, 04:46 PM »
I suppose things like that could be postponed so 3.8 would be released a lot earlier? I'm (and practically every Linux/Mac user) really looking forward to this patch, because WA is unplayable under Wine (tiny frontend window, buggy renderers, no private message/turn notifications and a few other annoying bugs on top of that).
These days I use Linux almost exclusively, and honestly I'm not sure what you're looking forward to:
  • windowed mode is nice, but Wine virtual desktop mode is almost the same thing, in any case the frontend remains 640x480
  • 3.8 adds an OpenGL renderer which ironically doesn't work in Wine (on many GPUs, because of a bug in Mesa), I don't think other renderers are going to be very different in 3.8
  • taskbar highlights on PMs / your turn should work, if they don't the problem is with Wine or your desktop environment
Sorry to disappoint :) But maybe make a new thread and we could try to figure out the cause of the problems you're seeing.

Get Windows or any other proper OS.
Hey, be nice :)
I don't even care about a big 3.8 release per se... just release incremental updates, like a 3.7.xxx whatever. Add little fixes and features whenever they are ready. There's no need to stockpile it all and make a huge update. At this point ANY update would re-ignite my faith that something can and will happen, even if it was to address minor bugs or backend stuff. I feel like a donkey who has had a carrot dangled in front of them to goad it into working until it died. Metaphorically speaking. I mean yeah, the game is perfectly playable as it is and it wouldn't be the end of the world if no update ever came out, but as I said before, I'd rather just know for sure that nothing is going to happen so I stop thinking about it and wishing for it.
Yes, this has been at least as frustrating for me as it has been for you. The reason this is not what happened is that it has been decided that the next public update must satisfy certain requirements, or otherwise we and the community will forevermore pay the price of not doing so. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that these requirements have been overcome, so we can now finally move forward for the final stretch.

It also really pisses me off that there's a relatively small circle of people who are 'in the know' regarding all of this stuff and everyone else is kept in the dark. This game is old and has a small, tight, yet fairly inactive community so absolutely NOTHING should be 'hush-hush.' Everything should be transparent and up-to-date because otherwise why bother working to enhance / maintain a dying game?
I'm sorry that this is frustrating for you. Unfortunately, some things do need to be limited to a set number of people:
  • Alpha builds, which we neither may make public nor can sufficiently test by ourselves.
  • WormNET moderation, which again we neither can do by ourselves nor just let anyone kick/ban anyone else.
  • Access to the server hosting and source code of community websites, such as worms2d.info or wmdb.org.
However, the "hush-hush" aspect of that is very definitely not intentional. I've said it before, and I'm saying it again that anyone can contact me any time (TUS PM, #Help on WormNET, #worms...) and ask anything that's on your mind. Just beware that sometimes the answer to your questions may be rather pedestrian or glum (lack of progress due to lack of time, or every-day strife, or health problems...)

If a changelog was posted earlier in time, what kind of NDA would disallow it to keep constant enough?
I don't think anything prevents us from keeping the changelog updated other than that we'd rather be working on something more useful :)

Offline Idaho

« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2020, 04:13 PM »
this has been at least as frustrating for me as it has been for you. The reason this is not what happened is that it has been decided that the next public update must satisfy certain requirements, or otherwise we and the community will forevermore pay the price of not doing so. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that these requirements have been overcome, so we can now finally move forward for the final stretch.

I really wonder what the requirements could be, sounds like T17 is just being boring, I know ETAs mean nothing but since it seems the requirements have been met, do you think it'll take long for the public to see the update?

Offline CyberShadow

• Moldova Moldova
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2020, 04:19 PM »
I really wonder what the requirements could be, sounds like T17 is just being boring,
These requirements were not set by Team17.

I know ETAs mean nothing but since it seems the requirements have been met, do you think it'll take long for the public to see the update?
We still have some non-code bureaucracy to take care of (translations, documentation, final testing), maybe a few weeks (as far as our side goes)?

Offline SigmaTel71

« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2020, 04:54 PM »
  • 3.8 adds an OpenGL renderer which ironically doesn't work in Wine (on many GPUs, because of a bug in Mesa), I don't think other renderers are going to be very different in 3.8
I'm sure that OpenGL renderer will be useful on regular Windows installations as well.
Hello, Moto! :D

Offline generic goose

« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2020, 10:35 PM »
finally some news
hopefully it actually comes out this year

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #156 on: May 11, 2020, 08:13 AM »
every time i see StepS say "it's fixed in 3.8" or similar it makes me salty and wants me to make a compilation of screenshots of him saying that to really show how impatient some of us are

Offline raffie

« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2020, 02:04 PM »
I don't even care about a big 3.8 release per se... just release incremental updates, like a 3.7.xxx whatever. Add little fixes and features whenever they are ready. There's no need to stockpile it all and make a huge update

Sorry but that's a bad idea IMO, it would divide the community into different WA versions because this would basically make it impossible for developers to keep their modules up-to-date with every little WA update. Lots of people play RubberWorm games and others also still play PX games, this is already a big mess with PX being stuck with 3.6.31.0, Rubberworm at 3.7.2.1 while the Steam version being on 3.7.2.2 and using RubberWorm with people on different WA versions in some cases drop from the game. I am using these 2 modules as examples but there are many other WK modules that are WA version dependent.

ps: I'm curious does OpenGL renderer mean 24-bit maps can be used in 3.8 or does that have nothing to do with it?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 03:02 PM by raffie »

Offline DENnis

« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2020, 02:47 PM »
Hello programmer-friends!

Thank yo very much for all your work and testing!

If possible, please add RubberWorm and its important add ons like

More WormKit modules: https://worms2d.info/WormKit (sadly some files there are not working, like ReplayShark and wkIndiMask (Another version of wkIndiMask.dll: https://www.tus-wa.com/files/file-1759/)

Thank you very much for everybody who is helping and testing!

So nice that Worms Armageddon is still active!

Have a nice day friends!  :-*

Offline Sensei

« Reply #159 on: June 01, 2020, 11:52 PM »
You have permission to be hyped.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #160 on: June 02, 2020, 12:17 AM »
You have permission to be hyped.

Remember when I said 1-2 months ago on shoutbox something along the lines of something good will happen soon, this is exactly what I meant... I was starting to think my source was wrong, but glad to see it's finally happening.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #161 on: June 02, 2020, 07:07 AM »
Remember when I said 1-2 months ago on shoutbox something along the lines of something good will happen soon, this is exactly what I meant... I was starting to think my source was wrong, but glad to see it's finally happening.
Did you lose hope or something? It was always supposed to happen.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:18 AM by Kradie »
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Muzer

« Reply #162 on: June 02, 2020, 02:50 PM »
Quite simply, we don't know. While in years gone by it would tend only to take a few days, we have no idea how much Team17's processes and practices have changed in the last 7 years. It's quite possible they will want to give this update a much more thorough going over, and they are completely within their rights to do so, as it's their reputation on the line if this update breaks people's games.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #163 on: June 02, 2020, 09:54 PM »
as it's their reputation on the line

I'm sorry, I was completely unaware they still had a rep, was pretty sure they sunk that battleship many years ago.

Offline lovEvilution

« Reply #164 on: June 09, 2020, 12:31 AM »
First off. DeadCode and CyberShadow.

Thank you! Ever since hearing of this update I have been insanely really excited. Hoping the update helps bring more players back to WA as I fear with it dwindling that it may one day disappear.

Do you know are we looking at it being more likely in the next month, 3 months, 6 months, or a year?