Forums
March 28, 2024, 12:39 PM

Author Topic: Worms Armageddon v3.8 Released  (Read 79649 times)

Offline Thewolensheep

• The MEGA retard.

• United States United States
  • A f@$!%$! loser.
    • View Profile
Re: Worms Armageddon v3.8 Released
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2020, 09:20 PM »
The update is unnecessary since the last time I played it. Can they just put the update to make worms world party compatible with worms Armageddon already? People are waiting for the update than this update.
Be greatful. At the same time WWP is just WA with some stuff sprinkled in,that is already in the WA (except those cool new missions and custom missions.)
Creates soundbanks and other s!@t.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2020, 09:43 PM »
Seeing this update talked about by all those gaming hubs is actually amazing!

Offline Hurz

« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2020, 10:01 PM »
i had immediate desynch when using 3.8 while other ppl using lower versions, playing online, while 3.8 game version working fine, alone. did i miss to use some stuff? or is it under construction?
Were they using RubberWorm? RubberWorm 3.7.2.1 and 3.8 are not interoperable online, though you can view RubberWorm replays. If you weren't trying to use RubberWorm, please upload the recorded games from as many people as you can find in the match, for debugging. Thanks!

will this be fixed? or need to look for ppl with same version now?

Offline Hurz

« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2020, 10:02 PM »
i had immediate desynch when using 3.8 while other ppl using lower versions, playing online, while 3.8 game version working fine, alone. did i miss to use some stuff? or is it under construction?
Was this a RubberWorm game? If so, that's not expected to work - there is no network compatibility between the RW features built into 3.8 and the old WormKit module.

If it wasn't a RubberWorm game, please post your replay file. It would also help a lot if you could get the other parties' (who desynchronized) replay files and post them as well.

ah i see hehe
yah was rubber, thanks for quick replies.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2020, 02:06 AM »
Still not quite bought of this new thing that got "fixed". About team sharing weapon delays. As a guy that plays 2v2 Aerials on daily basis, change is quite noticable.

2 of highest power weapons are situated on F5. Dynamite with 1 turn delay and sheep with 2 turns delay. In a scheme with random placements this could mean a massacre. In first 6 turns of the game, 4 high damage ratio weapons now can be used. With a bit of an unlucky placements, whole opponent team can be wiped in 3rd turn.

I'd like to hear more of why this was patched, if possible? Muzer did a short explanation on Discord, but I think scheme like Aerial doesn't benefit from it at all..

Is it possible to get this as one of the scheme options to turn on/off, or it's coded in the game for good? Thx.

EDIT: btw, roped a lot since 3.8 is out.. And earlier I tried going back to 3.7.2.1. to compare. Never again! Tweener for life.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 02:24 AM by Sensei »

Offline Deadcode

« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2020, 03:11 AM »
Still not quite bought of this new thing that got "fixed". About team sharing weapon delays. As a guy that plays 2v2 Aerials on daily basis, change is quite noticable.

2 of highest power weapons are situated on F5. Dynamite with 1 turn delay and sheep with 2 turns delay. In a scheme with random placements this could mean a massacre. In first 6 turns of the game, 4 high damage ratio weapons now can be used. With a bit of an unlucky placements, whole opponent team can be wiped in 3rd turn.

I'd like to hear more of why this was patched, if possible? Muzer did a short explanation on Discord, but I think scheme like Aerial doesn't benefit from it at all..

Is it possible to get this as one of the scheme options to turn on/off, or it's coded in the game for good? Thx.

I think the changelog entry in the Readme explains it pretty well. (Emphasis added)
Weapon delays for an allied team group were not decremented for the first time until after every team in that alliance got a turn, but once that happened, their delays were decremented every time any team in that alliance got a turn. With an uneven match such as 2vs1 or 3vs2, this actually resulted in unfairness, since the alliance with fewer teams in it had their delays decremented earlier in the game. Now, delays are decremented for the first time after every alliance has had one turn.
The old algorithm made no sense.

A sensible reintroduction of that idea would be to add an Extended Scheme Option to decrement the delay for an allied group every time every team in that alliance got a turn, for the entire length of the game (rather than just doing that for the first decrementing, like v3.7.2.1 and earlier). It still would be broken/unfair for unevenly matched alliances, but at least would make sense for evenly matched allies (2v2 or 3v3). Would that make sense to you?

Offline Sensei

« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2020, 09:00 AM »
I think old algorythm made more sense than starting a team game without teams. Never actually seen 2v1 or 3v2 games being played. Unless it was godmax & tobi vs. taner in Max scheme :D

I'm good with whatever you guys decide. Just wanted to point out that some schemes got changed a lot with this addition. Starting tactics of Aerial had been hit&hide mostly. Arrange your randomly placed worms around the map and save the big guns for later. With new delay system, there's a possibility of exploiting new tactics which include, dramatically speaking, ruining half of the map or dying before you even pulled out your 2nd worm.
It could have happened before as well, ofc. But this system encourages it a bit.

A sensible reintroduction of that idea would be to add an Extended Scheme Option to decrement the delay for an allied group every time every team in that alliance got a turn, for the entire length of the game (rather than just doing that for the first decrementing, like v3.7.2.1 and earlier). It still would be broken/unfair for unevenly matched alliances, but at least would make sense for evenly matched allies (2v2 or 3v3). Would that make sense to you?

If I got it right - you mean to have the same settings as now since the patch, but as a part of the ESO and not to have it mandatory in the game? If that's it - yeah, thought about that when decided to comment on this matter. Think it would be nice for ppl to have the option to turn it on. But I'm personally on the side of old system staying as default. Don't know how others feel about it. Not enough clanners going on lately, so most of the ppl probably don't care.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 09:23 AM by Sensei »

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2020, 09:58 AM »
Currently tweening is a conditional-compile option, so all I have to do is change it to a runtime condition. I have gotten other requests for that, so will probably do it.

Sounds promising, thank you for taking notice. :)

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2020, 10:59 AM »
The update trailer video now has 40,000 views on YouTube with 170 comments, plus nearly 12,000 views on Twitter. :)

However...Team17 claimed on Twitter that the update was for Steam only:

https://twitter.com/WormsTeam17/status/1284115271830167553

Are they so against linking to a community page that they would outright LIE?? Or is their PR department just hopelessly misinformed?

Offline readyworm

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2020, 11:43 AM »
The update trailer video now has 40,000 views on YouTube with 170 comments, plus nearly 12,000 views on Twitter. :)

Are they so against linking to a community page that they would outright LIE?? Or is their PR department just hopelessly misinformed?

That's really odd!  Maybe T17 only want to drive traffic to their site / channels of revenue for the game and forget about the CD release.  I'd love to know more about the arrangement between T17 and the current maintainers, the story of how they got the source code, the T17 approval process (since it's obviously their IP).  An interview with DC and CS would be great!   I read that T17 described 3.8 as a 'fan-made update', which while technically true I feel it doesn't quite paint the true picture.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2020, 11:52 AM »
Great trailer! Gave me some chills! <3

Long live WA!
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Idaho

« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2020, 09:39 PM »

That's really odd!  Maybe T17 only want to drive traffic to their site / channels of revenue for the game and forget about the CD release.  I'd love to know more about the arrangement between T17 and the current maintainers, the story of how they got the source code, the T17 approval process (since it's obviously their IP).  An interview with DC and CS would be great!   I read that T17 described 3.8 as a 'fan-made update', which while technically true I feel it doesn't quite paint the true picture.

They obviously want to boost the sales of the game on steam hence why they claim it's only on steam, DC and CS do free work for the community, they try to make a cash grab on it... Also I like how the tweet says "As if we'd ever forget our turn-based Worms fans!" as if they're directly implicated in the making of 3.8...

Well whatever, I don't care as long as DC and CS can keep on doing updates...

Btw as much as I'm enjoying the update, if one of you read this DC or CS, could you make a post about future plans?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 09:43 PM by Idaho »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2020, 10:20 PM »
"Auto-place worms by ally (checkbox) – When worm placement is automatic, group worms by team colour. May make automatic placement feasible even in Fort-style maps. Default off."

How exactly does this work?

So yeah, could someone answer this please? Where are all these extra options, where is this checkbox to make worm placement automatic?

Offline Triad

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2020, 10:36 PM »
"Auto-place worms by ally (checkbox) – When worm placement is automatic, group worms by team colour. May make automatic placement feasible even in Fort-style maps. Default off."

So yeah, could someone answer this please? Where are all these extra options, where is this checkbox to make worm placement automatic?

Click that star. It should be at Gameplay 2 I think, not sure.

Offline Senator

« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2020, 11:08 PM »

Click that star. It should be at Gameplay 2 I think, not sure.

Allied worms will spawn close to each other when you use random placements. It's not what we are looking for TTRR/Darts. It's on to-do list.