Forums
April 20, 2024, 06:42 AM

Author Topic: New PC, no more Worms?  (Read 8253 times)

Offline darKz

Re: New PC, no more Worms?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 12:21 PM »
Just 4 x 320GB on raid 0. Technically I'm having 4x faster HD performance!

Is that really worth it? I mean, isn't 2x enough? :O
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 12:37 PM »
shift+pause whenever colors get crazy (happens rarely)

other temp fixes are right clicking desktop wallpaper and opening "screen resolution" leave that window open (minimized or otherwise) and the colors will never f@#! up.

The colors never f@#! up for me anyway as of new beta patch with a 9800gtx+

and now anu go download dragon age 2, you'll love it.
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline darKz

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 12:52 PM »
and now anu go download dragon age 2, you'll love it.

I bet he will. I recommend that game too, Bioware says it all. :D
~ Dubc 2010

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 01:03 PM »
@darKz,
It is enough. By the time I was buying it, I wanted to get 2 x 500GB. Then I found out If I get 4 x 320GB it is the same price so it was +280GB and 2x more speed than 2x500 :)

On the side note, all these obsessions on buying the hardware is just untill you get the PC. After, you'll forget all and get used to it.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 01:05 PM »
Bioware says it all. :D

motherf@#!ers didn't add lan play
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline darKz

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 01:08 PM »

They didn't put LAN play in Starcraft 2 either, it's dying slowly...
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 01:21 PM »

They didn't put LAN play in Starcraft 2 either, it's dying slowly...
makes sense since it's a battle.net game

but da2 has no multiplayer support.

WHY
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline nino

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 03:26 PM »
so MI u got 4 HDs of 320 GB on raid 0 and for the system only 1 logical HD of 320 GB right?
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 03:41 PM »
No the whole thing is on 4 x 320 GB. First off I created the raid0 with 4 HDs, then I started installing OS and stuff. You know it is possible, right? :)
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline nino

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 03:47 PM »
ye man i know, i did the same, i did configure it, on the motherboard setup, then i installed OS, but i dont undestand you did raid 0 and still have 4 hds recognized in ur OS?

i took it from a site

This writes "stripes" of data alternatively to each disk. This halves the number of writes and doubles the space. For example, if you wanted to write 1MB, this is broken into whatever size blocks you choose, usually 128KB then the blocks are written out across the disks, along with parity. So when you think RAID 0 think, fast.

Because it's writing half the data to each disk, it then presents the logical volume as a single large disk.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 03:51 PM »
ye man i know, i did the same, i did configure it, on the motherboard setup, then i installed OS, but i dont undestand you did raid 0 and still have 4 hds recognized in ur OS?

When did I say that? I said I have 4 HDs configured on RAID0. My OS obviously has recognized 1 HD. :)

Offline nino

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 03:53 PM »
soooooooo man, thats what i was asking from the start, maybe i didnot ask it corretly.

now i gotcha ae.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 04:00 PM »
How much the entire thing cost?

1. Why Green PSU? They are known for causing noises/parasite. (At least the ones in my country)
2. If you wanna enjoy 1TB hard, you should never get 1TB hard drive but split it into at least 2 HDs on raid 0 as nino suggested. (I have 4 HDs on raid 0, yea suck on it nino ;))
3. Why Intel Core i5? Why not i7?

btw I'm not attacking you. Looks like a nice PC :)

1.: I care a lot about power saving, that is the real reason, furthermore: That PSU in particular is one of the greatest PSU reviews I have ever read for that price. (I read PC games hardware extreme) I wanted a quality PSU where I can easily upgrade without worrying if it's enough or not. The PSU has all the new standards that PSU should have, just read it up. The only thing it doesn't have is cable management, but that has my Antec Gamer Case, all cables go behind the mainboard, so within the case there are basically no cables. :) It doesn't make noises btw, rumors are usually what they are: one case and applying it to everything. It's like my mate whos working in a PC shop, he always tells me that be quiet PSU die, ALWAYS!!! Well I had a be quiet PSU for 3 years and it did not die.

2. If you are suggesting using 2 or 4 HD's instead of just 1 for the same space, I'd never do that.

3. The real difference between i5 2500k and i7 2600k is hyper threading which is FAIL for gamers. Many games suffer FPS with hyper threading so it's recommended to turn hyper threading off when you play. (Google it if you don't believe) The only real performance boost is while rendering videos, but in my opinion not for the extra price of about 70 Euro. And 3,30 ghz (i5) vs. 3,40 ghz (i7), that's a joke you can just overclock the i5 if you want. ;)

There is one thing you guys didn't notice and that is that the HD 6950 isn't quite as good as it first looked like. It's equal to a 6870 in performance, but uses more Power and is only better when you have a really high resolution 2560 and such... well I don't so it was basically not so great. (Well it DOES do better with 4x MSAA on 1920x1080) but just 1-5% more performance compared to a HD 6870.

So my suggestion is if you want to get a 6950 go for the 6870 unless you plan on playing on a real high resolution.

The entire thing was around 750 Euro.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Well this is a bit hard to discuss mainly because you've already bought your beloved PC and your move is to defend. I would do exactly the same and as I mentioned before, you will forget all this soon. Once the game begin, we'll all forget about hardware. :)

Back to subject, for PSUs, there are kings out there like Thermaltake, they eat Green as a daily snack but money-wise, you are probably right. I've fallen away far from prices now.
For Hard drive I think you didn't get what we meant for multiple hard drives.

Offline nino

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 04:49 PM »
For Hard drive I think you didn't get what we meant for multiple hard drives.

Ye me too MI, anubis, if u even see the performance increase it does, u'd be like "porra, i should've done this b4" lol.