Forums
April 23, 2024, 08:28 AM

Author Topic: New PC, no more Worms?  (Read 8260 times)

Offline MonkeyIsland

Re: New PC, no more Worms?
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2011, 06:50 PM »
In my experience, totally my own, I've had data loss with single HDs more than with raid0. I used to live in a flat with terrible electricity voltage and over a summer I had like 30 times electricity getting cut off which resulted in losing my PSU, my motherboard. Even my electricity-protector got burned out due to a massive high voltage swing.

My HDs stayed safe. Although judging on one case shouldn't be a clue but Rok you're saying that on the paper, right?
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Rok

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2011, 07:02 PM »
Nino. Yes, raid 0 is 2x faster in theory (and practicaly, when it comes to transfering large files, encoding video, etc...). In everyday use, though, it's nowhere near 2x faster performance (talking about applications, games, etc...).

MI, a chance that a single HD fails is still the same, sure. But when one of the drives in raid 0 fails, you lose data on all, right? And the fact that your drives survived voltage swings has nothing to do with raid, I think.
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2011, 07:38 PM »
MI, a chance that a single HD fails is still the same, sure. But when one of the drives in raid 0 fails, you lose data on all, right?

True. But with a little bit alteration. Hard drives on raid are considered as one hard drive. I know you know that, but when you have raid 0, you shouldn't think you have 4 HDs. (In my case). I have one hard drive that is 1.2 TB so the chance of me losing my data is equal to somebody else with 1 physical HD. It seems like you got close to try raid 0, but you backed off thinking "why bother with the stress of losing data"

the fact that your drives survived voltage swings has nothing to do with raid, I think.

Voltage swing, in a good case, makes the electricity protector (or what do you call it?) cuts off the electricity. So basically it is like unplugging your computer when some apps are running. It has nothing to do with raid yes, but The chances of losing data in these cases are high. I was pointing out that I have had many electricity breaks while working on my PCs, with 4HDs on raid 0 which I was supposed to lose data easily.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline nino

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Rok, i dont run others games in my computer than worms lol, i even did, but i just dont like to play others games than worms, i cant really say if raid 0 really makes is 2x faster, maybe no, but am sure it increases speed for sure for a game, maybe note 2x.

All i can say it that it makes everything in the pc run faster than only 1 disk, and imo it is worth it.

it is like a car with 200HP and hs max speed of 220km/h , it doesnot mean if u get a car with 400HP ull be able to get 440km/h lol.

but for sure a 400hp car, can be faster than a 200hp car porra!!!!
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2011, 09:33 PM »
And about the PSU, could you actually give me some source? I have a hard time finding out what you mean by just typing in google: thermaltake king of PSU. xD

Search for "Thermaltake PSU review", an example:
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1264&ID=1943#Tab4

Also you're a forum guy. Enter some hardware forums and ask about this brand.
(Didn't want to "advertise" this brand, but the thread kinda went into their direction. Silect Pro, Silverstone are also good PSUs.)

Have you actually searched for Flower Power? It is not a no name brand. Sorry but I see no evidence why thermaltake should be superior in this case.
Flower Power Golden Green: Passed 80 PLUS® Gold Certification, on 20% 50% 100% loading, with 89% 90% 88% Transform Efficiency.
The thermaltake just had Bronze 80 Plus.

They are actually exactly the same, just mine has better efficiency.

No offense dude but why are you claiming that Flower Power is worse/gets eaten? lol Search for it, they use high quality components, actually even the same capacitors, have the same security standards and are overall on the same lvl.

Btw: They have even 80 Plus Platinum Passed PSU's.

Can't understand why you picked the PSU out of the components, you guys should have picked on the video card and the RAM, cause there I agree are better options avaiable.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:37 PM by DeathInFire »

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 10:22 PM »
I'm really sorry. I misread the whole thing about PSU. I confused FlowerPower with Green power. All the time I was talking about the Green brand power. :(

Offline Anubis

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 10:36 PM »
I'm really sorry. I misread the whole thing about PSU. I confused FlowerPower with Green power. All the time I was talking about the Green brand power. :(

Man this Thread is full of misunderstanding. xD

Already wrote you via PM that it's ok. :)

ROFL btw m8, I am also an idiot. It's called SUPER FLOWER not Flower Power, rofl. Man what a thread. xD

Oh yeah another funny thing I wanted to share:

The scythe Mugen 2 is a hell of a CPU cooler to install. We were 3 people and everyone had to do something while installing the Cooler. Quite a nice experience to build that PC. :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:46 PM by DeathInFire »

Offline nino

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 10:49 PM »
hahaha Kai, funny thread ye xD

man when i bought my water cooler i was like porra it! will i be able to mount? XD
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.