21 (36.8%)
I won't get gold medal anyway
5 (8.8%)
I don't like maps
4 (7%)
I'm Mablak and I play Intermediate only
15 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: I don't play TTRR challenges because...  (Read 4839 times)

I don't play TTRR challenges because...
« on: February 07, 2013, 02:00 PM »
Hey all. The recent TTRR challenges activity is really low. I had to ask Dulek to host the last challenge, because he didn't really want to... I wonder what is the reason of it. TTRR challenges have so long history, I wouldn't like to stop it, even a little break doesn't sound good :)

I think we could make those challenges more open by removing deadlines and allowing to submit records for any maps (currently it's possible, but doesn't give any points) from a selected list... I dunno, hope the poll will help :)

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline HHC

Re: I don't play TTRR challenges because...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 02:06 PM »
I'm too bad, I don't know how to view hundreds of sec and I don't feel like spending hours TTRR'ing on one map (as that's the only way to set a good time).

Offline Chelsea

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 02:07 PM »

Offline barman

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 03:26 PM »
I don't play TTRR challenges because they are dominated by a group of 3-4 dedicated players who spend hours offline trying to get one good run. I usually get bored after playing the same RR map more than a couple of times.

Maybe there would be a hope in short (about 15 sec) maps, which can be easily finished with a reasonably good time even by players who don't like to spend all day playing offline.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:31 PM by barman »
My WA compilation videos: 2007 2013
My photography work

Quote from: Statik
barman's fails are best

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 03:52 PM »
I don't play TTRR challenges because they are dominated by a group of 3-4 dedicated players who spend hours offline trying to get one good run. I usually get bored after playing the same RR map more than a couple of times.

This is why I voted for the "not enough time" option, I don't have the time to spend possibly a whole day trying to get the best time possible, and plus I get too angry doing the same TTRR map so for the sake of not having a stress-induced heart attack, I tend to avoid these...

Offline franz

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 04:33 PM »
I don't play TTRR challenges because I much prefer the fun of an actual live league game face to face instead what barman described. But that's just me.

Offline Maciej

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 05:07 PM »
damn, my post disappeared?? :(

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 05:38 PM »
So many people want to play, but don't have much motivation I guess...

What about the following rank system:

On each map a player can have personal rank: rookie, average, pro, master or smth like that. A rank depends on time of course. Obviously, we will need some trusted ropers to set times for many maps. For example:

60.00 - Rookie
45.00 - Pro
40.00 - Master

It's just an idea and I don't know if it can boost the activity. It actually removes the challenge between players, instead you gotta challenge yourself :D But on the other hand franz is right. If you want to challenge another player, play him online. And if you want to get ranks & points for maps, then beat some "edge" times.

Offline Tomi

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 06:10 PM »
I don't play it, coz I suck in ttrr..

btw I was thinking to make a ttrr cup similar like HHC made the elite champions cup, but there would play only the average ttrr players.. I usually feel after watching the player list of a cup that "this is not for me xd"
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:15 PM by Tomi »

Offline AlTarf

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 06:23 PM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:30 AM by AlTarf »

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 06:36 PM »
Statik, from TUS experience on TTRR challenges, the more a map is easy the more people participate. Check various challenges, you'll notice this. It's about people feeling they have a shot on a map.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Husk

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 06:52 PM »
why do people care so much if they get a good time or not... just play the damn map once and post ur result, try improving the next day if u feel like it

Offline AlTarf

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 08:19 PM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:31 AM by AlTarf »

Offline OrangE

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 08:35 PM »
ill play more challenges in the future, now i just get too much frustrated when i start good and fall in the middle or near the end.

i've tried some challenges in the past, trying for hours to make a good run. i was usually 2 or 3 secs too slow for the top3, so i just quit doing that (too much time spent, no rewards for doing it).

when ill get better ill participate more often.

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 09:07 PM »
As I said in my previous message, we can "extend" the "top" by separating all times into 4-5 categories. If you'll manage to get into category A (top times) by finishing map in less than N seconds, then you get X points. To keep it competetive we can add bonus points for each 0.5-1 second...

;D