Forums
April 20, 2024, 12:40 AM

Author Topic: 80hp Cup | Grand Final | Dario Vs. Mablak  (Read 480 times)

Offline TheKomodo

80hp Cup | Grand Final | Dario Vs. Mablak
« on: September 23, 2021, 02:37 PM »
Good afternoon to all the beautiful descendants of the beloved Boggy B!

It has been confirmed on Discord, now it has been TUS CONFIRMED!

This Saturday we have a spectacular event planned in the world of competitive Worms Armageddon!

80hp Cup | Grand Final | Dario Vs. Mablak | Saturday 25th September @ 8pm GMT Live @ https://www.twitch.tv/Komito8220

For context, Dario, Mablak and chuvash are widely regarded by the competitive community as the top 3 competitive players in the Intermediate scheme of all time.

A while back, Dario created a variant of 'Intermediate' called '80hp' which is a more aggresive and creative variant which promotes a faster pace of gameplay and quicker/shorter matches.

If you enjoy watching highly skilled players compete, you won't want to miss it!

A brief description of 80hp by Dario:

Rules & Highlights:
Better played in bo3 or more games. 8 worms. Each round you can choose only one type of special/team weapon to use: pigeons (x2), sheep launcher (x1), aqua-sheep (x1), holy hand grenade (x1), flamethrower (x1), cows (x2) or old woman (x1). Moles do not count as special weapon. In different rounds you can use different special weapons. If in one round you use more than one type of special weapon, you lose the round.

80 hitpoints:
It makes round shorter, also makes it more rewarding to pile/reposition enemy worms with weapons that cause less than 50 damage. Raises the relevance of BnG skills above the "why didn't I just rope and shotgun?" level. Turns holy hand grenade and flamethrower into reliable killers.

Balanced team weapons:
All team weapons are available, but you are only allowed to use one kind in each round. Moles are considered a regular weapon, not a team weapon, you have 3 of them and their power is 5. Cows and HHG have a delay of 3 turns, pigeons a delay of two, and flamethrower, old woman, sheep launcher and supersheep a delay of 0. Supersheep is also now an aqua sheep. Old Woman and Sheep Launcher power is 4.

Dyna/sheep with 1 turn delay:
Reduces a bit the effect of first turn piles. Makes Old Woman or Sheep Launcher a decent choice if you really need to blast that first-turn pile, at the expense of having used your team weapon in the first turn.

Nuke SD (25hp/turn) at 10 minutes with high water rise:
Reduces the impact of who gets the first sudden death turn and opens a new branch of tactical thinking, now water rise can be used more often as a killer. Also makes rounds a lot shorter. Turns of less than 1 second still reduce the time left until SD.

4 ropes:
Balances the fact that 80 hitpoints makes it easier to kill worms, increases the relevance of BnG skills and encourages the use of long range team weapons (pigeons, super sheep, holy hand grenade).

2 shotguns:
Forces players to look for more creative ways to cause 50 damage if 50 damage is really needed.

35s turn time with 10 seconds hot-seat:
Makes rounds more dynamic, but it also gives more strategic players the time they need to plan ahead.

Rope roll-drops:
Enables using weapons with the enter key between rope swings or after detaching from bungee. This includes weapons that you can normally use while roping and also the ones usable while jumping. This opens a whole new set of possibilities where the action happens between rope swings, it may be particularly interesting for dropping animals. It also means that long bungee flights are useful now, since you can open the parachute at any point during the flight to avoid losing control of your worm.

See you on Saturday! :-*

Offline Memox

Re: 80hp Cup | Grand Final | Dario Vs. Mablak
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 08:48 PM »
A Bo5 would've been great as the Grand Final, but then again, it has been played in Bo3 for the entirety of the Cup so that wouldn't make sense. I just want to watch more from these two players, that's all :P it's not even started and I already think it won't be enough lol
\\\ My websites ///

My Worms Armageddon Review (and other blog posts about gaming)
The Autism-O-Meter

My Worms Videos
YouTube playlist

My (other) Reviews Hub
Steam Curator page

Offline TheKomodo

Re: 80hp Cup | Grand Final | Dario Vs. Mablak
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 09:15 PM »
A Bo5 would've been great as the Grand Final, but then again, it has been played in Bo3 for the entirety of the Cup so that wouldn't make sense. I just want to watch more from these two players, that's all :P it's not even started and I already think it won't be enough lol

It is Bo5 for the Grand Final.

Those are the general guidelines for the scheme, not for the Cup. All 'Knockout Stage' games have been Bo5.