Forums
April 19, 2024, 06:34 PM

Author Topic: Speed Cup Concept: Do you like it?  (Read 801 times)

Offline Kradie

Speed Cup Concept: Do you like it?
« on: December 02, 2023, 09:07 AM »
We're almost at the 10th speed cup. So I am naturally wondering to those who has participated in one of these cups if they liked it? If so why? If not why? Observers of the cups are also welcomed to put in their thoughts too.

Questions that you could answer
- Was the deadline too strict?
- Did you feel too much pressure under the deadline?
- Was it difficult to find your opponents?
- Was the moderating to harsh?
- What could been done better?
- Overall thoughts on the Speed Cups?

As a host of these cups I will listen to your feedback and possible explore on them.

That's it for now.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Lupastic

Re: Speed Cup Concept: Do you like it?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 09:42 AM »
meaningless, pointless, idealess, too much spamming. + these schemes can be played in the leagues already

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 12:19 PM »
I think the name "speed" cup is a bit strange to me. "Fast" cup sounds better, or maybe "Brief" cup, "Shortened" cup, I don't know. Playing Mole Shopper on a "speed" cup seems strange to me.

I think the quality of the cup gameplay is worse with so much pression and substitutions, and as Lupastic said, most if not all schemes played on these cups can be played on leagues. Leagues don't need scheduling and time zone awareness to be played, and players can keep playing because they want, not because the mod is pressuring.

The cups that I play are mostly creative schemes, alternative game modes, or inovative ideas. I didn't play the Wheel of Fortune cup, but it's a very nice idea. Those "speed" cups are more of your actions on TUS: Quantity over quality. That's all you do here: numbers, quantity, and poor quality most of the times.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 12:23 PM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Free

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 12:53 PM »
I like it, brings activity

Offline Korydex

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 01:18 PM »
I hate cups in general but I like this concept because atleast it doesn't last months/years as most of the other ones

Offline Rocket

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 01:26 PM »
Questions that I could answer. Answering them:

Nope, not strict at all FOR ME. I live a life of a militarian who has nothing but service and couple of leisure hours daily tho. I DO think the deadline would be really strict for me if I'd lived a civil life of a big boi with my gf and usual work

Not me, but I see others feel it

Never difficult as most of them are active

I'd rather use the word "hardline". That's the most essential part of the concept tho

Prolong the time to gather more participants to 2-3 days, make group deadline last a week, make 1 available extension per person (no more than 2 days).
OR
Bit rarer cup hosting/hosting them as tournaments (real Speed then)

Speed Cups mainly help the community to stay active on the one hand. On the other hand, nothing new happens there as the participants are always the same people. It's always playing vs walrus, kaleu, blitzed in KO stage. I'm bored of that. Diversity-wise way bored.
Maybe a bit less of cups could lead to a bigger interest for them. It's always quality/quantity thing. Players have adapted themselves to frequent cups hosted weekly on TUS and they don't appreciate it much, joininig them automatically without practicing a bit to play DECENTLY. When a game starts, this "nah ok I lose here so I don't bother myself with too much efforts" is in the air. I feel people don't experience that passionate kind of an interest for winning, don't aim higher, don't prepare for cups. Less cups could help in a way. As I still think, there need to be 1 or 2 more official tournaments of the WormOlympics/CWT level or type working on seasonal basis, not like TUS league. It could attract some additional attention and ease participation schedule saving or even raising the activity level. It may wake the "hunger" for competitive gameplay in players.

It currently gets 6,5/10 from me. Better with them than without, although some things to improve
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 01:29 PM by Rocket »
Imotep - the legendary worm sends his greeting!

(o)(o)
oo
\__/
( )
( )_
\_____\_

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 01:41 PM »
I like it, expecially because it brings activity in the community and I feel improved a bit while training for cups.

I started joining almost all cups but for me I think it's better join some cups and not all of them, first of all because sometimes I can't guarantee total presence. And I want to feel free to join some and not others.

Sometimes I felt under pressure for strict deadlines. And I think if someone asks for a extension for a good reason and most players agree about that Kradie could extend for a few days... It's a game and the main focus should be hf, I felt bad reading some messages in the past. In fact, this stops me a bit joining new cups.

Overall I want to thanks Kradie because it's not easy organize all this for wa's sake and being a fair judge. That's my opinion about speed cups :)

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 04:40 PM »
I'll answer the questions that apply to me as an organizer/streamer and observer.

I think the deadline for the Final was too strict, 5 days seems fine for the other stages.

Knowing that these Cups usually attract 8 to 12 players max, there aren't as many games to play, so 5/5/4 would be a good format.

5 days for Group.
5 days for Knockouts up until Final/Bronze match.
4 days for Final/Bronze match.

That way it's a perfect 2 week rotation. So you can have 2 Cups per month.

This way if you always start the Cup on a Monday, the Final/Bronze match, the most important one, will always hit on a weekend, therefor the players would generally have the most free time to play the Finals, and it's a better chance of having them streamed live as well.

Also this would give it a more authentic and organized approach. It would have a routine that people can follow, and expect, so that they can fit it into their daily lives with more ease instead of feeling pressure.

I feel like 1 day to prepare for Final is too little, for multiple reasons:

It might have to be rushed, meaning lower quality performance from players.
No time to organize for stream.
High possibility of missing deadline.

I think the moderation was fine, because all the players knew what they were signing up for and so there they accept the T&C of the rules by signing up.

What I suggested in my first quote reply.

It's nice activity, and players are getting LOTS of practise on a high skill level.

Online TheWalrus

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2023, 10:51 PM »
The fact i got 16 hours to play the hysteria final, then f@#!ed out of a final that was played within 48 hours of completing semifinal game is egregious.  Still dont have that medal i earned, but oh well, made me wonder why everyone even bothered to play those 20-25 games of the cup if kradie was going to cancel it over some 24 hour window.  Speed cup concept is great, but kradie you get a little megalomaniac sometimes.

https://www.tus-wa.com/cups/cup-1218/

Still waiting.....hoping you can get over your massive ego someday.

Better of having these speed cups than no cups at all, like many said.  Kradie does do a good job organizing and promoting these cups.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 10:54 PM by TheWalrus »

Offline sock

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2023, 10:57 PM »
Speed cups are nice for me. Personally I don't feel like the need to warm up before games/finals. It feels like the Kaos league to me, more action.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2023, 09:38 PM »
Speed cup concept is great, but kradie you get a little megalomaniac sometimes.

What Walrus said.

Put your cups in front of your ego, then you'd have a good thing going on.
Although, knowing you from years of online gaming, I don't think you're capable of doing such thing.
No offense.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2023, 08:56 AM »
I think the deadline for the Final was too strict, 5 days seems fine for the other stages.

Knowing that these Cups usually attract 8 to 12 players max, there aren't as many games to play, so 5/5/4 would be a good format.

5 days for Group.

That way it's a perfect 2 week rotation. So you can have 2 Cups per month.

This way if you always start the Cup on a Monday, the Final/Bronze match, the most important one, will always hit on a weekend, therefor the players would generally have the most free time to play the Finals, and it's a better chance of having them streamed live as well.

Also this would give it a more authentic and organized approach. It would have a routine that people can follow, and expect, so that they can fit it into their daily lives with more ease instead of feeling pressure.
Very nice Idea there. I like the 5/5/4 proposal. Definitely worth a shot. Thanks for that.

I feel like 1 day to prepare for Final is too little, for multiple reasons:

It might have to be rushed, meaning lower quality performance from players.
No time to organize for stream.
High possibility of missing deadline.
Interesting. The strict deadline could lower the quality performance from the players, As you said.
If this 5/5/4 format were Implemented in future cups, this could alleviate some stress and result in better organize games and play..

Questions that I could answer. Answering them:

Nope, not strict at all FOR ME. I live a life of a militarian who has nothing but service and couple of leisure hours daily tho. I DO think the deadline would be really strict for me if I'd lived a civil life of a big boi with my gf and usual work

Not me, but I see others feel it

Never difficult as most of them are active

I'd rather use the word "hardline". That's the most essential part of the concept tho

Prolong the time to gather more participants to 2-3 days, make group deadline last a week, make 1 available extension per person (no more than 2 days).
OR
Bit rarer cup hosting/hosting them as tournaments (real Speed then)

Speed Cups mainly help the community to stay active on the one hand. On the other hand, nothing new happens there as the participants are always the same people. It's always playing vs walrus, kaleu, blitzed in KO stage. I'm bored of that. Diversity-wise way bored.
Maybe a bit less of cups could lead to a bigger interest for them. It's always quality/quantity thing. Players have adapted themselves to frequent cups hosted weekly on TUS and they don't appreciate it much, joininig them automatically without practicing a bit to play DECENTLY. When a game starts, this "nah ok I lose here so I don't bother myself with too much efforts" is in the air. I feel people don't experience that passionate kind of an interest for winning, don't aim higher, don't prepare for cups. Less cups could help in a way. As I still think, there need to be 1 or 2 more official tournaments of the WormOlympics/CWT level or type working on seasonal basis, not like TUS league. It could attract some additional attention and ease participation schedule saving or even raising the activity level. It may wake the "hunger" for competitive gameplay in players.

It currently gets 6,5/10 from me. Better with them than without, although some things to improve

Thank you for your Input here. It is true at least to my observations, that cups here on TUS are normally between the usual crowd. Every now and then there is a new person that joins the event but I do not think it has to do with the frequency of cups. Of course I speak in general now.

But you're right. Maybe a person shouldn't host a cup as often. Because it could rob the excitement to join it. There would be no build up and anticipation for it. This is definitely worth looking into.We definitely need the hunger and the hype for competitive cups.

The fact i got 16 hours to play the hysteria final, then f@#!ed out of a final that was played within 48 hours of completing semifinal game is egregious.  Still dont have that medal i earned, but oh well, made me wonder why everyone even bothered to play those 20-25 games of the cup if kradie was going to cancel it over some 24 hour window.  Speed cup concept is great, but kradie you get a little megalomaniac sometimes.

https://www.tus-wa.com/cups/cup-1218/

Still waiting.....hoping you can get over your massive ego someday.

Better of having these speed cups than no cups at all, like many said.  Kradie does do a good job organizing and promoting these cups.
It has nothing to do with my ego. It is a matter of principle. People always knew what they signed up for. There was never a time to dilly dally around. My reasons for my actions are in that topic. That cup did not allow for extension, it was written in the cup description. The future cups allowed for extension because of that Incident. So again, there was never an agenda against YOU Walrus. I even decided to give you the win. But you couldn't accept that, you and your pride.

What Walrus said.

Put your cups in front of your ego, then you'd have a good thing going on.
Although, knowing you from years of online gaming, I don't think you're capable of doing such thing.
No offense.
No offense? Why would you assume I'd be offended?

Anyhow.

I have to say that I am Impressed by the lots of you and grateful. The way you engaged in the cups, and followed the strict deadline. I sometime I had doubt in myself, but most of these cups worked out peachy. Thank you.

I know I can be very harsh, strict, and even unfair, but that is what you knew when you signed up. I don't allow for nepotism and breach of principles. Nothing was ever personal here.

This topic has provided some great compliments, and Ideas, definitely worth exploring on. I would want the future cups to be more approachable for everyone who wish to contribute to the activity and solidarity of WA. Because we all love Worms Armageddon very much.

That's it for now.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB