Forums
March 28, 2024, 06:50 PM

Author Topic: my astro photos  (Read 3586 times)

Offline barman

my astro photos
« on: April 26, 2016, 09:23 AM »
Been doing a lot of astrophotography in the past year or so. I'm mostly into lunar stuff, since that's what my telescope is optimized for, but sometimes I take photos of other objects for a change. My pics are quite popular on the web, often getting tens to hundreds of thousands of views. dt members liked them a lot when I showed some in private forums a while ago, so check 'em out ;)
Click on any photo for larger version.

Full Moon. Taken with a set of special filters which make it possible to see the differences in chemical composition of the lunar soil. Brown areas are rich in iron, blue areas are rich in titanium.

Copernicus and surroundings. One of the most spectacular craters on the Moon, with a diameter of nearly 100 kilometers. This photo is pushing the limits of my telescope, you can see features as small as 500 meters across on the lunar surface.

Crescent Moon and Venus. At the time this photo was taken, the planet Venus was approximately 150 times further away from Earth than our satellite.

Total lunar eclipse. This event happened on the night between 27th and 28th September last year and was visible in most of Europe and the Americas. The Moon changes color due to the scattered light in our atmosphere.

Messier 51. A relatively nearby galaxy (28 million light years away) with very prominent spiral arms.

Star trails. This photo took six hours to create. Due to Earth's rotation, stars appear to move in circles. When the camera is pointed at a fixed point for a long time, it's possible to capture the motion of the objects in the sky. Taken in the Teide Observatory on Tenerife, Canary Islands.
My WA compilation videos: 2007 2013
My photography work

Quote from: Statik
barman's fails are best

Offline ANO

Re: my astro photos
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 09:41 AM »
nice stuff Barman!

Offline Tomi

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 09:46 AM »
Awesome indeed :o  8)

Offline MarianRV

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 10:18 AM »
Wow, very nice photos! :o

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 04:29 PM »
Damn this made my day, I wish I had your equipment. Post more  ;D
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline Sensei

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 04:48 PM »
I'm stealing "Crescent Moon and Venus" to use as a background. Ty. Great stuff.

Offline barman

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 07:18 AM »
Thanks guys! More photos 8)

The Moon and the International Space Station. ISS is the largest man-made object ever put in space, with a size of 100x100 meters. It orbits the Earth at a speed of 27600 km/h. At the time this video was taken, it was about 650 kilometers away from me. Recorded at 120 fps, played back at 0.25x speed.

Crescent Moon. A color-enhanced version, similar to the first photo from the previous post.

Daytime Moon. Apart from the Sun, the Moon is the only astronomical object bright enough to be easily seen during the day.

The Sun. Our star is so bright that it literally burns anything you focus its light on within seconds. In order to take a photo of the Sun, it's required to use a special filter which reduces the light intensity by a factor of a few thousand.

NGC 4565. Like the one from the previous post, this is a spiral galaxy. The difference is that we can observe it from the side. As you can see, spiral galaxies are as flat as pancakes.

Star trails. Yet another photo taken during my stay at Teide Observatory last year.
My photography work

barman's fails are best

Offline Triad

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 09:38 AM »
Really nice photos. :)

Offline AduN

• Chile Chile
  • hai2u!!1!:)
    • View Profile
    • my page
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 01:18 PM »
wow

Offline barman

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 03:34 PM »
This one's from yesterday :)
International Space Station passing in front of the Sun, recorded at 570 FPS, played back at 60 FPS (9.5 times slower)

Real time version: https://gfycat.com/ScaryBrightFruitbat
My photography work

barman's fails are best

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 03:52 PM »
Holy shit, these are beautiful! How much afterwork, tooling does it take from raw picture to this to happen?

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 03:31 AM »
My favorite topic   ;D
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline Husk

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 03:35 PM »
sweet =P

Offline barman

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 05:25 PM »
Holy shit, these are beautiful! How much afterwork, tooling does it take from raw picture to this to happen?
It depends on the photograph, but most of the time, processing takes a couple of hours on a high end PC and involves a substantial amount of science and data analysis.
My photography work

barman's fails are best

Offline nino

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 07:05 PM »
NASA SUCKS!!!

BARMAN PWN
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.