Forums
April 16, 2024, 08:16 PM

Author Topic: Big Rope Race Generator (BRRG)  (Read 7164 times)

Offline LEGi0N

Re: Big Rope Race Generator (BRRG)
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 02:23 AM »
Maybe put a timestamp on every generated map in next patch? Under "Start" for example. Dunno how hard this would be to implement but it shouldn't be difficult right!? Date/hour/timezone..

Anyway, it's cool feature and it will help stopping fights between opponents while doing competitive match. Something like: "fk off, you've been practicing on this map until you started playing it with eyes closed" and similar..

Hmm, I could definitely add an option for entering free text, so you could write a timestamp there. However, I'm not sure specifically putting a timestamp would prevent someone determined from just modifying a map using other software to put in any timestamp they want. Or they could just change their PC time before generating it. Regardless, the next version is actually coming out sometime this week hopefully, so it won't make it into that version.

If anyone is interested, it's actually possible for 2 players to fairly generate a map together that neither of them have played before. It just uses a little cryptography. Here are the steps:

1. Agree on all settings for the BRRG apart from the seed.
2. Both players pick a random number between 1 and 1,000,000 (for example).
3. Both players create a SHA256 hash of their number. First add a salt to the number. This is just any random text. For example, make "123" become "123|Ksj4ofmrnvm4ifmwk45n" then generate the hash. There are plenty of online sites to do this.
4. Both players send each other their hash.
5. Once each player has sent their own hash and received the other players hash, they are free to send each other their salted random number (for the example above, this would be "123|Ksj4ofmrnvm4ifmwk45n"). Now each player can check that the hash they received before matches the salted random number they receive. This prevents either player from switching it.
6. Sum both random numbers together (and subtract 1,000,000 if the sum is greater than 1,000,000) then use this as the seed for BRRG. Since both players have the seed, they can both generate the map. The player who isn't hosting can check that the host is using the same map by visual inspection.

It may seem a little complex and take a few minutes, but I don't know another way of doing it fairly, if that's what both players want to achieve.

Edit: In practice (and because I doubt many people will do the above), it is sufficient for each player to think of 4 random digits and send to the other player. These can then be concatenated to generate the seed. However, this only works if players are going to send their digits within a few seconds of each other. Otherwise, whoever receives first can start testing different values for their own digits to find a seed they like. Note that this method only works with concatenation and not the sum method mentioned above, since with that method someone could know a good seed in advance and do a quick calculation to ensure they get it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:48 PM by LEGi0N »

Offline Sensei

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 02:43 AM »

4. Both players send each other their hash.

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2020, 06:11 PM »
Lets do a cup with all randomly generated maps.

Offline LEGi0N

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2020, 07:35 PM »
A new version is now available. See the first post for the list of changes.

This version includes several new wall options. Here are just a few examples:

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2020, 04:19 AM »
Amazing work LEGi0N. This thing makes great ropable maps, nice styles, and the arrows mean you don't get lost.

Online Triad

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2020, 10:28 AM »
For real, this is one of the greatest addition to this game. Great to see that it's still maintained. Thank you for all the effort. We appreciate it. ;D

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 06:55 PM »
Great update, Legion!
I don't play big rr that much but this is some next level tool!!
Btw, anyone mind to share some configuration files??  ;D
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline LEGi0N

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 04:34 PM »
Thanks guys.

The latest version now adds "partitions", support for transparent images, and some other things. Full list of changes in the first post as usual.

Here are some example images:

https://i.imgur.com/inAl2WE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/yvel4Dm.png
https://i.imgur.com/EjCLhRl.png

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2020, 07:44 PM »
Thanks so much for the update, that was the final touch to my JoJo themed configuration file!  ;D

https://i.imgur.com/Gjz09Ye.png?1

→ The best of Kaleu ←

Offline LilScrappy94

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2020, 03:04 PM »
Thanks so much for the update, that was the final touch to my JoJo themed configuration file!  ;D

Very nice !

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2020, 02:38 AM »

Very nice !

Thanks, I will try to make a collection of configuration files and upload them soon.  ;D

→ The best of Kaleu ←

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2020, 04:26 PM »
I have a question, i'm starting to use this program and beginning with default settings only changing the tunnel width(Cell Size).

The problem, I like to use cam lock while playing Big RR, when using a generated map it has a border at the top, which means the entire size is the size of the map, which throws the cam lock off whenever you are close to the edges of the map.

How can I generate maps so there is no border and cam lock will always work?

Edit - I made 96 maps from the generator so I went through them manually resizing the canvas area from 10000x5208 to 10240x5336, and now it works fine :)

However, it'd be nice to know how to do that without manually resizing things, is that possible inside the generator?

Offline LEGi0N

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2020, 07:40 PM »
I have a question, i'm starting to use this program and beginning with default settings only changing the tunnel width(Cell Size).

The problem, I like to use cam lock while playing Big RR, when using a generated map it has a border at the top, which means the entire size is the size of the map, which throws the cam lock off whenever you are close to the edges of the map.

How can I generate maps so there is no border and cam lock will always work?

Edit - I made 96 maps from the generator so I went through them manually resizing the canvas area from 10000x5208 to 10240x5336, and now it works fine :)

However, it'd be nice to know how to do that without manually resizing things, is that possible inside the generator?

It sounds like you're using an old BRRG version. The latest version should make maps which are detected as an island (no border at the top) in 3.8. Version 3.8 changed the way cavern/island auto-detection works, so if you're using an older BRRG version, it may generate maps which 3.8 detects as a cavern (border at the top).

The next BRRG version will have an option to explicitly select island or cavern, although I doubt many people will want to use cavern anyway.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2020, 04:05 PM »
Will it be possible to have diagonals?

Also, what about the possibility to completely randomize all the settings each time you generate? Basically a "Randomize" button?

Offline LEGi0N

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2020, 05:18 PM »
Will it be possible to have diagonals?

Also, what about the possibility to completely randomize all the settings each time you generate? Basically a "Randomize" button?

Both are on my "To Do" list, so will hopefully get to them at some point. I had thought about a "Randomize + Generate" button to do both in 1 step, so you can keep clicking until it gives you something that looks cool. The idea would be to make it use settings that work well with each other (complementary colours, etc.) and are within sensible ranges, although it might be tricky since people's preferences about what makes a good map will vary.

Regarding the next version, I just need to finish a new feature and add all of the new options to the GUI and configuration manager. It should be released within 1-2 weeks. I'll add a list of the highest priority ideas to the first post around that time as well.