Forums
March 28, 2024, 03:16 PM

Author Topic: Big Rope Race Generator (BRRG)  (Read 7073 times)

Offline TheKaren

Re: Big Rope Race Generator (BRRG)
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2020, 08:54 PM »
Both are on my "To Do" list, so will hopefully get to them at some point. I had thought about a "Randomize + Generate" button to do both in 1 step, so you can keep clicking until it gives you something that looks cool. The idea would be to make it use settings that work well with each other (complementary colours, etc.) and are within sensible ranges, although it might be tricky since people's preferences about what makes a good map will vary.

That sounds great, would it be possible to have have the option of "Sensible Random" and "Complete Random"? Would that be too much hassle?  Because even if some colours, or the map has a few weird sections, can still save the PNG and edit it in adobe or something.

Actually to make my latest map I exported 2 maps from your generator, of different widths and loaded them into photoshop, I cut out about 20% of each map, and then copy/cut/pasted it to make a path I liked and that fit the already existing map I made myself, then I took 1 of the arrow things and pasted that around the map too.

So in a sense it would be nice to have full random available as well as a more controlled random.

Heck, even being able to fully customize what is random would be ideal, like, random width, random length, etc, but you want to use a specific pattern/design, so perhaps even a checkbox of which features to randomize would be pretty cool.

Regarding the next version, I just need to finish a new feature and add all of the new options to the GUI and configuration manager. It should be released within 1-2 weeks. I'll add a list of the highest priority ideas to the first post around that time as well.

No rush mate! What you have already is amazing, anything else extra that is useful is a bonus :)

Offline LEGi0N

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2020, 08:16 AM »
That sounds great, would it be possible to have have the option of "Sensible Random" and "Complete Random"? Would that be too much hassle?  Because even if some colours, or the map has a few weird sections, can still save the PNG and edit it in adobe or something.

Actually to make my latest map I exported 2 maps from your generator, of different widths and loaded them into photoshop, I cut out about 20% of each map, and then copy/cut/pasted it to make a path I liked and that fit the already existing map I made myself, then I took 1 of the arrow things and pasted that around the map too.

So in a sense it would be nice to have full random available as well as a more controlled random.

Heck, even being able to fully customize what is random would be ideal, like, random width, random length, etc, but you want to use a specific pattern/design, so perhaps even a checkbox of which features to randomize would be pretty cool.

For sure. There could be options for the randomizer, like the range for each option, what options to randomize, etc. Maybe also some presets for sensible, completely random, etc. All of this would have to open in a new window to avoid confusion.

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2020, 10:07 AM »
I just made a map using this program. It is fantastic! Congratulations! I noticed it crashes if you change some numbers too much, though.

The map: https://www.wmdb.org/38518
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 10:11 AM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline LEGi0N

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2020, 12:58 PM »
I just made a map using this program. It is fantastic! Congratulations! I noticed it crashes if you change some numbers too much, though.

The map: https://www.wmdb.org/38518

Thank you :)

Do you have an example of what causes a crash, so I can try to reproduce it? It could potentially run into memory issues if it generates a large enough map. Maybe I should add some extra restrictions to prevent that.

Edit: Seeing some strange transparency in that map you made. Also seems to have in-game borders. Assuming these were caused when the map was saved using another program to add the text at the bottom? By the way, the next version will have text options :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 06:43 PM by LEGi0N »

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2020, 02:45 AM »
For example, if I select the values shown on this attached image (only modifying the part at the very top of the settings) and then generate a map, it will generate one, but if I remove the scaled view, it will appear an error and the program will close. I believe maybe with the custom images selected it may cause bugs, turning the map "heavy", because I remember using the program and sometimes when I clicked generate map, the progress bar didn't advance, so I would wait forever and the map wouldn't be generated, so I had to manually close the program. But the way it is, it's already is possible to do a lot of things. And, yeah I missed a text box to add to the map, good to know you plan to implement this.

About my map, I edited it on paint to write the text with the name of the map and its author (even though the program itself did like 99% of the job), then I converted the map to 113 colors using gimp. I don't know if 113 colors the transparency is worse or not, but I always converted to 113. I also painted the transparent area of the map to black on paint before the conversion with gimp. In the map editor, I raised the water level, changed the "level" to the "art" one even though this would be only useful with 64 colors which would remove the quality of the pictures and the background effects would appear hidden by the bottom part of the map. I also added Border because I think it is better looking this way, the screen only shows the map itself not it floating on a large area. And the map is a cave, there is no open areas to make it open. Ah when I saved the map after my changes in the map editor, I believe it changed the transparency too, because the map background was black and when I saved there it became transparent again (seeing the image externaly with a viewer program).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 03:01 AM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline LEGi0N

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2020, 07:39 AM »
For example, if I select the values shown on this attached image (only modifying the part at the very top of the settings) and then generate a map, it will generate one, but if I remove the scaled view, it will appear an error and the program will close. I believe maybe with the custom images selected it may cause bugs, turning the map "heavy", because I remember using the program and sometimes when I clicked generate map, the progress bar didn't advance, so I would wait forever and the map wouldn't be generated, so I had to manually close the program. But the way it is, it's already is possible to do a lot of things. And, yeah I missed a text box to add to the map, good to know you plan to implement this.

Ah, yes the image becomes too large for the PictureBox control and crashes. I've had this happen before too. I need to restrict the map size to
the maximum allowed by WA anyway: https://worms2d.info/Colour_map. I think this might just be within what the PictureBox can handle. If not, I need to do something else. Thanks for providing the crash example.

Using images can be slow sometimes, especially if dithering is used (in Design / Palette). If using "Fit/Stretch to Map" for the background it becomes super slow. It should complete eventually. I've made a lot of changes recently without updating the progress bar much. It needs more frequent updates and a % in future.

About my map, I edited it on paint to write the text with the name of the map and its author (even though the program itself did like 99% of the job), then I converted the map to 113 colors using gimp. I don't know if 113 colors the transparency is worse or not, but I always converted to 113. I also painted the transparent area of the map to black on paint before the conversion with gimp. In the map editor, I raised the water level, changed the "level" to the "art" one even though this would be only useful with 64 colors which would remove the quality of the pictures and the background effects would appear hidden by the bottom part of the map. I also added Border because I think it is better looking this way, the screen only shows the map itself not it floating on a large area. And the map is a cave, there is no open areas to make it open. Ah when I saved the map after my changes in the map editor, I believe it changed the transparency too, because the map background was black and when I saved there it became transparent again (seeing the image externaly with a viewer program).

Yea, the images and text have transparency areas, meaning you can place worms inside them. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bug with the BRRG :)

Offline LEGi0N

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2020, 03:43 PM »
A new version is now available. See the first post for the list of changes and download link. It's the longest list of changes so far.

Here's what some of the new options look like: https://i.imgur.com/UZ80jUA.png
An example map with empty components and text: https://i.imgur.com/83ZwuL0.png
An example map with grid points and text: https://i.imgur.com/I9dfuEo.png
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 08:03 PM by LEGi0N »

Offline LEGi0N

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2022, 07:28 PM »
I've added a new option suggested by Sensei which some people might want to use with the new realtime module. You can create up to 6 copies of the map, so each player races in their own map at the same time.

Here is an example: https://i.imgur.com/fzKaJEp.png

Offline Sensei

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2022, 06:05 PM »
<3

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2022, 01:42 PM »
Is there an option to make rounded corners? If it's there I can't find it... If it's not, please update? ;)
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline LEGi0N

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2022, 07:11 PM »
Is there an option to make rounded corners? If it's there I can't find it... If it's not, please update? ;)

Unfortunately not yet. It's on my huge "To Do" list, as with most things. Sorry to say I don't have time to work on this anytime soon. Too many other projects at the moment =|