Forums
March 29, 2024, 02:38 AM

Author Topic: Great Snooper | 3rd chapter  (Read 35319 times)

Offline Tomi

Great Snooper | 3rd chapter
« on: August 31, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Welcome to the Great Snooper topic!

You are at the right place if you need information about Great Snooper!
You can also report errors here and don't be shy to share your suggestions if you have any!

Important links
There are both installer and portable version of the snooper!
Using the second link you can read about all the features of Great Snooper!
At GitHub you can see the source code of the application.

The 3rd chapter

What was changed in the new version? Well actually everything!
The code of the snooper got fully reviewed and reorganized. It also got a new design and some new features too!

Let's see the new things point by point:

Design

The design of the snooper is smoother than ever! It was made by using a common framework, the Metro.

Screenshot of the main window

Ranks

Well, you could see at the previous screenshots that ranks are here! You can choose rank and the snooper
will display the rank of other players too. Furthermore for users who have logged in with TUS secure login feature their TUS rank will be displayed.

Instant coloring

If you visited the Screenshot of the main window then you could see that the messages of the users have different colors.
With this feature you can see the messages of the user(s) you are chatting with much easier!
All you need to do is hover your mouse over a message of a player, press right click and choose a color! ;)

Other changes
  • Fixed cyrill character support
  • Removed join and part messages from private chat tabs. Using tab header coloring instead. More info @F.A.Q. 3rd question
  • You can filter for more criterias in the filter using comma (,) as separator. More info @F.A.Q. 4th question
  • Removed double click on the tab header feature to close a private chat tab. You can use middle click instead.
  • The snooper can close itself after you joined a game.
  • News section got renewed. It was removed from the right bottom corner. It will be opened in a separated window
    when there are any important news. (Or you can open it with the "/news" command)
  • The snooper was released on GitHub, so you can see its source code!
  • Added some shortcut keys:
    • Alt + Left: switch tab
    • Alt + Right: switch tab
    • CRTL + W: close a private chat tab
    • CTRL + F: focus the filter
    • Right and Left arrow in the News section to switch news
  • The snooper may delete logs older than 30 days. You can enable this feature in the Settings.

Some thoughts

If you have downloaded once the first version of this snooper and it wasn't
working on your computer then you can try it again, this will work! ;)
There were a lot of changes made since that version. I think it really deserves a try!

ToOMiToO
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:22 AM by Tomi »

Offline Triad

Re: Great Snooper | 3rd chapter
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Awesome work Tomi! I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Offline skOrpuz

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 09:33 PM »
damn! its very nice!!! I love it :D

edit: I cant close the chat with 2 clicks :( and there was a time i used the right button (mouse) to close the chat and it closed channels (all channels) then the snooper crashed! lol
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:40 PM by skOrpuz »

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 01:37 AM »
Using it, confortable design,  did not find any bug yet.
Gj.
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline Sophira

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 02:43 AM »
Is there any way to stop it from deleting logs older than 30 days? I like to keep my logs...

Offline Tomi

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 07:42 AM »
Unfortunately there are some little bugs, that I will try to fix fast.

Skorpuz: was that in this version? (btw I removed double click to close the channel, coz double click can be done coz of a mistake too and it's annoying :D you can use middle mouse button too)

Sophira: hmm maybe I will disable that function and add a checkbox in the settings where users can enable it manually. (Done)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:24 AM by Tomi »

Offline GreatProfe

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 12:48 PM »
Using it, confortable design,  did not find any bug yet.
Gj.

I'm proud to help the GS designing *-*

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 03:52 PM »
edit: I cant close the chat with 2 clicks :( and there was a time i used the right button (mouse) to close the chat and it closed channels (all channels) then the snooper crashed! lol

Same here  :-X

Offline Tomi

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 08:05 AM »
The patch for the previous problems is out! ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:24 AM by Tomi »

Offline Triad

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 08:40 AM »
Ae tomi.

Previous error occured in my pc occured in this version too. You know, snooper doesn't loads channel chat or playerlist. I guess just my pc sucks. xD

Offline Senator

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 09:24 AM »
A few things:

- If you have autologon on, you have to start two GS to be able to change nick/account. How about a "log out" option that brings you back to login window?

- After updating you have to start GS again manually. Not a big deal, though.

- Request from Wheat Snooper topic:
Is it possible to make a feature that notifies you whenever a game with a specific name or containing certain words is created?
For example If I add "shopper" to the list and someones creates a game called "shopper rules" TWS notifies me through a sound and a tray message if it's minimized.

- Fix my tuned version ;D

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 03:07 PM »
Hello there. I've been testing your software for awhile now and I really like its interface and simplicity. But just a few things that it lacks or should be optional: a hiding button - I wanna see it in the tray bar, whether maximized or minimized (the whole time as it's running, though this should be optional). The X button should NOT disconnect it. Independent windows for every chat (most likely, this should be optional, others might not agree). A few bugs: when organizing users connected on channels by Countries, Ranks, Nicks or Clans, it won't remain that way, the list simply resets on every session, and it's an annoying task to do everytime. Same with the Show login screen at startup - this option gets unmarked on every session, I wanna see the login screen everytime. And last but not less important, the ads... no offense but, what's up with that? What are the ads for? It really sucks to need to close it on every login session. Still I think you've done a great job as I'm comfortable with this software, more than I am with Wheat Snooper 2.8, 2.9 and so on.

Offline Tomi

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 03:16 PM »
Ok, now I have time, just finished the RHCP book xd

So the things I need to do are (from AlTarf's and Senator's comments):

• An option to make the exit button just hide the application - OK
  • The application should be seen at the tray bar (near the clock) - Hope I can do it
  • Independent windows for chat - I don't know if I can do this, don't really got the idea how could it be cool :/
  • Save the order of the nick list - OK
  • Login screen should be visible - I guess I should separate show login window and remember me checkboxes. Now remember me checks out show login window (not a bug, but a feature xD)
  • News.. why is it: you can't really inform people on WormNet about anything, but with this at least you can reach GS users.. news should not appear when you have read them all.. so if you just press left or right arrow button to "read" all the news, it should not open next time, unless there is a new item. I guess I will remove the last thing and not force people to read all the news ;)
  • Logout - it's easier to close and reopen the application than making this xD I mean at the end I didn't have energy to make it, and for me it really don't look important, is it?
  • The update thing.. you could auto-start the snooper after being updated only with some hacks.. there is not so many updates that it should be annoying I guess
  • Game notification feature - This is the first feature I'd like to make in the new version ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:18 PM by Tomi »

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 05:34 PM »
Ok, now I have time, just finished the RHCP book xd

So the things I need to do are (from AlTarf's and Senator's comments):

• Independent windows for chat - I don't know if I can do this, don't really got the idea how could it be cool :/
don't forget I mentioned this should be an option as others might not like it, I do though...
  • Save the order of the nick list - OK
  • Login screen should be visible - I guess I should separate show login window and remember me checkboxes. Now remember me checks out show login window (not a bug, but a feature xD)
separating such windows isn't exactly necessary, I just don't want the login screen to disappear if I check the Show login screen at startup option (gets unchecked) forget about this, I learned a while ago that it's the Remember me box that causes this to happen, so if unchecked, it won't do stuff automatically anymore
  • News.. why is it: you can't really inform people on WormNet about anything, but with this at least you can reach GS users.. news should not appear when you have read them all.. so if you just press left or right arrow button to "read" all the news, it should not open next time, unless there is a new item. I guess I will remove the last thing and not force people to read all the news ;)
that's okay, I didn't know that, yet I think there should be an option to disable them
  • Logout - it's easier to close and reopen the application than making this xD I mean at the end I didn't have energy to make it, and for me it really don't look important, is it?
a disconnect button is good if you wanna change your login information, which I do a lot so I need that: I simply wanna return to the login screen rather than disconnecting by clicking the X and when reopening, connecting and logging on automatically
  • The update thing.. you could auto-start the snooper after being updated only with some hacks.. there is not so many updates that it should be annoying I guess
that's fine by me

I'd also like to add one last thing. Would it be too much if I asked an Information spot to fill in with your desired information? Like on Wheat Snooper, by default, your information is The Wheat Snooper 2.8/2.9/2.9.2 and, if you get rid of the snoop word, people don't know what you're using, and I'd like that. Thanks.

P.S. Is there a way for great snooper not to tell me I've already hosted a game when attempting to use wkRehost module to ropen a game?  :P
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:25 AM by AlTarf »

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 03:24 PM »
Is there a way to hide ignored players from the list? It's bad when I see someone red highlighted, because it grabs my attention towards a person I ignore xD