Forums
March 28, 2024, 05:39 PM

Author Topic: Status and Discussion for upcoming 3.8 update for Quick Start Pack  (Read 873 times)

Offline h3oCharles

hi there,
ever since 3.8 became a thing people were bugging me off to "uPdAtE qUiCk StArT pAcK oR i CaN't PlAy ReEeEeEeEeE" or something like that, and i can't, because i need to wait for couple modules to update (notably SuperFrontendHD) (ok maybe one then) before i can even consider uploading it.

but before that, there have been multiple suggestions about including things that i denied because of multiple reasons:
- Mablak's giant map pack  (file size, also might be outdated)
- j0e's giant soundbank pack (file size)
- Removing wkSnow (it's not updated for 3.8 LOL)
- including schemes from https://worms2d.info/Scheme_ideas (with that logic I'd need to include schemes from PoC so idk)

there have been some things that i have considered including but i've never gotten into:
- Infomaniac95's higher quality soundtrack
- including Czech, Japanese and Korean soundbanks as these may have been sourced from Team17
- Korydex's attempt at TUS League scheme updates for 3.8 <-- can't really do this now as TUS doesn't have the scheme editor updated yet
- make an installer (such as NSIS) for making everything even more noob friendly (suggested by cgar on Discord) <-- will need a proper release candidate first before making this

And I also have been denied for:
- Including the Flag and Grave with QSP logo to be included (as well as the team file) because people might think that's going too far to be noob-friendly or im trying to advertise lol

One more very important thing, when installing, a bunch of registry entries have been changed and ever since the update i've been lost as to what to include. I've been considering these (look at the image below) but no one was sitting with me and thinking what to include

I think that's everything. Should I include all of these things? I don't want to have a humongous file size as well because people may have crappy internet connections or sth
Please help me, otherwise I might make stupid decisions that people might yell at me for later

EDIT1: so things still remain:
- full wormage unlocked out of the box (the team file thing)
- bunch of registry keys combined into one file (QuickStartPack.reg)
- restore deleted flags and soundbanks (HUUUUUGE thanks to Carlmundo on Steam for making this guide)
- some wormkit modules are coming back (WormNAT2, SuperFrontend, RemapKeys)
- CPU Flags for CPU Teams
- Small scheme pack including default renamed, HostingBuddy, TUS Leagues and from worms2d.info
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:05 PM by TheMadCharles »

Offline readyworm

Hey there,

I feel it might be better to evolve this into a well written and maintained Recommended Setup Guide rather than a fixed download pack.  Perhaps it could be pinned somehow or mentioned in the front page Welcome message as a good place to start for newcomers.  My thoughts:

- Cater for CD, Steam and GOG users
- Focus first on a good 'standard' recommended setup :
-- Restoring the missing stuff from the CD version
-- Replacing the stock sound tracks with the high quality versions
-- Modules info/links: WormNAT2, SuperFrontend, RemapKeys, NewWave [for adding additional Audio, links to additional audio], FileOverride [for CD version users]
-- Mention the online snooper and WMDB usage.
- The guide can then link into other stuff people may want to explore, with recommended links etc.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 11:24 AM by readyworm »

Offline h3oCharles

I feel it might be better to evolve this into a well written and maintained Recommended Setup Guide rather than a fixed download pack. [...]
The guide can then link into other stuff people may want to explore, with recommended links etc.
Tomi made a Newbie guide book, it didn't stick well https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/dos-help/newbie-guide-book-26874/

Perhaps it could be pinned somehow or mentioned in the front page Welcome message as a good place to start for newcomers.
it's pinned on Sensei's discord server, is that good enough?

Cater for CD, Steam and GOG users
what do you mean? compatible for all releases of WA? Initially I made the 3.7.2.1 pack for Steam only as it was the main way people got the game, also because of 3.7.2.2. Now that 3.8 is a thing, I probably don't have to do this anymore. Also mind you, I only have the Steam version, so I'm unable to test all possible combinations

Restoring the missing stuff from the CD version
I'm already doing that

Replacing the stock soundtracks with the high quality versions
Last time I checked, the higher-quality soundtrack's weight is at like 300 MBs. That's almost the entire size of the game. I don't want to bloat the file size when the previous version is 15MBs and most people that I know turn off in-game music.

Modules info/links: WormNAT2, SuperFrontend, RemapKeys, NewWave [for adding additional Audio, links to additional audio], FileOverride [for CD version users]
what is NewWave?
*looks that up*
oh, that... hmm, im not personally convinced of that module, when, again, people just turn off music.
can't include FileOverride as this is for CD-only, I'm afraid that some wild stuff might happen when installing that on Steam or GOG versions.
also some modules like to include their info as a readme so that should be good enough

Mention the online snooper and WMDB usage.
how would I do that?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 12:43 PM by TheMadCharles »

Offline readyworm

It was just a suggestion to do a guide instead of putting together a fixed package. This way, people can make the changes they want for themselves, and if they want to download 300mb of replacement music, or 6gb of soundbanks etc,  they can.  The pressure isn't on you to come up with a prescriptive package.

People getting into the game eventually stumble across this site and worms2d.info, I just think it'd be nice to pin a concise guide in the Welcome message.  I get the impression there's a fair amount of CD/ISO version users out there.

Anyhoo... just an idea.