Forums
March 28, 2024, 12:56 PM

Author Topic: wkWater - An open source WormKit module that reveals the bottom of the map  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Jengu

This WormKit module removes the wave animation in-game when using the lowest graphics setting. It should work with all versions of Worms Armageddon.

I encourage you to compile the code yourself because you never know if a DLL contains malware. This module was written in C by me. I don't accept any responsibility for the use of this software.

NOTICE

wkWater in its current form is most definitely a cheat; having it enabled while other players do not offers a distinct advantage. As such, I have removed the attachment. Please do not distribute cheat modules. If you have already downloaded wkWater, please make sure only to use it if all players are using it, and if sharing the replay, please make it clear in the game's chat that wkWater is being used.

The module could be fixed by making it automatically send a public chat message communicating its presence at the beginning of every round, similarly to RubberWorm's crate-finder feature. However, distributing it as open source would undermine this, and is a bad idea.

Concerning toggling the visibility of wave animation:
Some players, myself included, consider the mystery of what is hidden by the water waves to be a fun element of challenge to the game. As such it would be a shame for everyone to be forced to hide the waves in order to be able to fairly compete with other players who have the waves hidden. However, seeing the interest in wkWater expressed on this thread, I will consider adding it as a future scheme option.

—Deadcode
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:10 PM by Deadcode »

Offline Kaleu

This might be considered as cheat, I hope they don't, nice module.
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline Danger135

• Slovakia Slovakia
  • People are stupid!
    • View Profile
There in upload is watereditor, you can made transparent water, so you can see that land (except last few lines at bottom).
123  My teams use this, this, and this soundbanks.

Offline Jengu

There in upload is watereditor, you can made transparent water, so you can see that land (except last few lines at bottom).

This module allows you to see the last four rows of pixels which are normally hidden.

Offline StepS

Unfortunately, this is officially designated as a cheat by the game developers.
Some years ago I released wkAwesome, one of its features was hiding the water waves, as well as sprites, the game HUD (timer, wind, chat bars, etc.), the landscape, and disabling the background redrawing (the "awesome" effect). However, I quickly removed it because the water feature was cheating, and because I did not properly set up compatibility. It wasn't for general use anyway, so it remains in some hidden forum on TUS. I might update it later for the general public if necessary.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline Sensei

Gj Jengu. Nice to see there's more ppl that didn't give up on adding stuff in W:A.
+1

Offline aik

opensource - I like!  :)

Now, that this is public, Steps, can you make the wkAwesome public even though you "did not properly set up compatibility" – maybe without the wavespart? You could add some "just for testing at own risc"-note…

Also i want to mention I'm not sure, banning stuff like it from public is a good way at all – who has access then? In case of wkAwesome anyone who visited forum before move to "elite"-forum. IMO could lead to a "cheater elite" – same i.e. for TAS-version, I find its exclusiveness to be unfair in a way…
<dream>
One day CyberShadow will push worms source code to github by accident…
</dream>

Offline TheWalrus

this is banned in tus games

Offline aik

Well, as you aren't able to check if your TUS-game opponent uses a particular WK, problem remains, that you are dependant on the honesty of TUS-players – and dishonest players get advantage… kinda stinks ^^
<dream>
</dream>

Offline Hurz

Well, as you aren't able to check if your TUS-game opponent uses a particular WK, problem remains, that you are dependant on the honesty of TUS-players – and dishonest players get advantage… kinda stinks ^^

MI can cant he...?

Offline XanKriegor

It works, thanks! It makes the game to look a bit more boring, but if you need to take a screenshot for one reason or another, and water is not welcome, its great.

Offline Husk

but if you need to take a screenshot for one reason or another, and water is not welcome, its great.

hehe i have this problem when i make screenshot walkrace mapas... so i guess this would be useful for me when i make a mapa

Offline aik

MI can cant he...?

Even if someONE (or few) could check – most players can't ("elite" stuff again…). Sure, if there is someONE who can check it and you know that person, you could let that person know. But first you'd have to be suspicious and most cheats aren't even distinguishable from skill or luck. So most games with cheaters will never get checked.
<dream>
</dream>

Offline XanKriegor

Lets take a look from this angle - we are not casual players, we are pro/hardcore. There is difference between amateur and professional sportsmen - amateur ones do it got fun and just enjoys it. Pros are living off it, and they uses every possible way to optimize their performance and squeeze another meter/second/point out. Non-critical optimizations should be allowed in professional competitions, sort of we are having here.

Offline Sensei

Any reason it should be considered as cheat? Except little help in roper games where you actually can see what weapon is selected? I never do ropers, but when i do - at least 1 selff@#! per game is guaranteed, cause wave is trolling.