Forums
March 28, 2024, 06:07 PM

Author Topic: Worms2 Music for Worms Armageddon  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Infomaniac95

Worms2 Music for Worms Armageddon
« on: July 24, 2020, 12:59 AM »
Worms2 is an interesting little game. Compared to Armageddon, its similar in many ways, but in others, it isn't. One aspect that varies wildly from Armageddon is the soundtrack. For Worms2, the composer took a direction that the other Worms game never really did, resulting in a pretty unique soundtrack that has become a personal favorite of mine.

The mod I have made here aims to put in as many Worms2 songs into the game as available. The placement of the songs is based off of what I felt fit best, in terms of replacing the old songs. For songs that are not replaced, they are using higher quality versions of the songs, sourced from the console ports. You can find a mod for Armageddon's music that is using only these high quality versions, if desired: https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/files/worms-armageddon-high-quality-music-pack-32051/

There are 2 versions of the pack. One with ambience baked in, and the other without. The baked-in ambience versions do not cover all tracks, unfortunately, so a few are still without ambience. This is due to the original Worms2 game having less CD Audio music tracks, then what is present on the soundtrack.

Links are down below:

No Baked-in Ambience: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vb6G9m9fHIggcqVqNUsBCtA0g1PXyVfZ/view?usp=sharing

Baked-in Ambience: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W9T8ZnVu8EDvrX_waHHSwORabVIxTnLU/view?usp=sharing

To install the pack for the Steam version, go to your Armageddon directory, then to the DATA folder. From there, go into the Streams folder. Put all files from the archive, into the Streams folder. If it asks to overwrite anything, let it do so. From there, you should have Worms2 music in your game.

If you are on the CD version, get the WormKit module known as FileOverride: http://worms.thecybershadow.net/wormkit/wkFileOverride.zip

Copy the contents of the archive to your Worms Armageddon directory (where the EXE is). From there, go into your DATA folder. If for some reason there is not a DATA folder, make one. Then, make a Streams folder. From there, move the WAV files to the newly created Streams directory. This should be all you have to do, but, if you don't have loading of WormKit modules enabled, enable it, or else you won't hear the music play.

I hope you all enjoy the mod, and the music, as much as I have. Thank you for reading.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 11:18 PM by Infomaniac95 »

Offline Ashtar

Re: Worms2 Music for Worms Armageddon
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 12:40 PM »
Thank you! I missed the good old Worms 2 music. It even makes the game more exciting! I must say I like the higher-quality ambient music from Worms: Armageddon too, except the win and lose music, which sounds toned down.

What method do you use for putting these files into the Streams folder? The folder is located in my ISO image of the CD-ROM, which requires external software to modify. I assume it is not required for the Steam version of the game, for example. I think I will try AnyBurn. A note about this could be good in the instructions. A note about backing up the original files could be good too.

Offline Infomaniac95

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 09:03 PM »
Thank you! I missed the good old Worms 2 music. It even makes the game more exciting! I must say I like the higher-quality ambient music from Worms: Armageddon too, except the win and lose music, which sounds toned down.

What method do you use for putting these files into the Streams folder? The folder is located in my ISO image of the CD-ROM, which requires external software to modify. I assume it is not required for the Steam version of the game, for example. I think I will try AnyBurn. A note about this could be good in the instructions. A note about backing up the original files could be good too.

I had not considered this, but, ill see what I can do. It seems you can use a WormKit module for CD copies, called FileOverride. Ill update my post on using the the pack with CD copies. Sorry for the inconvenience.

EDIT: Done
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:08 PM by The_Brickster »

Offline readyworm

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 02:03 AM »
I would like to get the Worms World Party ambient tracks in WA. The WWP remastered version uses 22Khz max. Did the dreamcast version of WWP have higher quality audio?

Offline readyworm

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 12:34 PM »
I managed to rip the ambient music tracks that are unique to WWP (CD quality, from the Dreamcast ROM). Link here if anyone wants them :
https://mega.nz/file/WRgiSCYT#eEvUg-v8pinmDJPPfYfAayCBwqNWHXFsCOY8j6Ne5io

I'm using Terion's NewWave WormKit module which works great with 3.8 Steam version.  Now I can randomise all high quality tracks from WA, WWP and W2.
https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/worms-armageddon/wormkit-module-for-ingame-music-32542/

One very minor thing I've noticed is when a track ends, the next track won't start until the next worm's turn. I think this is a WA code thing.

It would be great if WA integrated this module's functionality and had a separate volume control for music.  Supporting other audio formats like .opus and .mp3 would be awesome as well, cutting down on the huge file sizes.  Maybe one day :D

Offline Kradie

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 04:01 PM »
Thank you Brickster and ReadyWorm.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Infomaniac95

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 04:08 PM »
Sorry for the delay, but version's with ambience baked in, are now uploaded, for people who want that.

Offline readyworm

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 09:02 PM »
Nice one The_Brickster :)

While we're on a roll, here's the Worms Reloaded tracks, which I think are really good! They're clearly based on the original tracks but still very different. The Sudden Death track is way more tense / dramatic : https://mega.nz/file/3Vp1HJJQ#-gmVeru4sZ8CoZygyRyxBSt4RoWrj0P3Uy3DUb6AZ7o

I found the FLACs online and checked the quality in a spectrum analyser to make sure they hadn't been butchered/MP3'd first. They're all high/original quality, full spectrum 44.1khz.

I removed the first few seconds of the SuddenDeath track so that it loops perfectly in WA (the original had a fade in).

Enjoy!

Offline Kradie

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 09:29 PM »
Mr ReadyWorm. Could it be possible of you to upload these tracks on to MediaFire or Jottacloud?

Offline readyworm

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 09:37 PM »
Here's another link if you're having trouble with Mega : https://gofile.io/d/KqCQzP

Offline Kradie

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 05:28 PM »
I have a question in regards to Worms 2 soundtrack. There is a track consisting only of nature sounds. I have not heard this piece outside of Worms 2 but only in the game. The game picks it randomly as any other tracks.

Does anyone know what I speak of?

Offline StepS

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 06:39 PM »
I have a question in regards to Worms 2 soundtrack. There is a track consisting only of nature sounds. I have not heard this piece outside of Worms 2 but only in the game. The game picks it randomly as any other tracks.

Does anyone know what I speak of?
I think it's this track, but not sure. It's what Pac-Man used in his PX mod.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline GrO

• 🌞🌞🌞🌞♾️🌞🌞🌞🌞

• Poland Poland
  • ⚘🌹🌷 🌿 🌻 🍀 🌷🌹⚘
    • View Profile
    • 440Hz >>> 432Hz
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 02:14 PM »
It would be great if WA integrated this module's functionality and had a separate volume control for music.  Supporting other audio formats like .opus and .mp3 would be awesome as well, cutting down on the huge file sizes.  Maybe one day :D
Using lossy compression destroys high-quality experience...

...anyway, I think the game's engine works smoother when it operates with uncompressed *.wav files...

You can always use some media player to play your favourite music in background, this solves the problem with pause between tracks and you can set your volume as you desire, so for me there's no sense of requesting any code changes in this area, while the guys have enough work with the updates and new features :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 02:18 PM by GrO »

...even the Light needs a background, or some dirt, to become visible... ...

Offline skunk3

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 03:06 PM »
Someone should snag the Worms Revolution soundtrack as well. Probably the best background music of all of the Worms titles IMO.

Offline readyworm

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 05:49 PM »
Using lossy compression destroys high-quality experience...

...anyway, I think the game's engine works smoother when it operates with uncompressed *.wav files...

You can always use some media player to play your favourite music in background, this solves the problem with pause between tracks and you can set your volume as you desire, so for me there's no sense of requesting any code changes in this area, while the guys have enough work with the updates and new features :)

Destroys the high-quality experience? It's lossy, yes, but you won't be able to tell the difference between the original WAV and a high bitrate (200KBs+) .opus file or 320Kbs MP3 file.  Instead of having 1GB of WAV's, you can have <100mb .opus files.

Decoding MP3 or .opus in-game would place so little burden on your CPU, it's barely worth talking about, and it would decrease disk I/O.

Not priority change obviously, just nice to have.