Forums
March 28, 2024, 07:48 PM

Author Topic: Worms2 Music for Worms Armageddon  (Read 2762 times)

Offline GrO

• 🌞🌞🌞🌞♾️🌞🌞🌞🌞

• Poland Poland
  • ⚘🌹🌷 🌿 🌻 🍀 🌷🌹⚘
    • View Profile
    • 440Hz >>> 432Hz
Re: Worms2 Music for Worms Armageddon
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2020, 07:52 PM »
It would be great if WA integrated this module's functionality and had a separate volume control for music.  Supporting other audio formats like .opus and .mp3 would be awesome as well, cutting down on the huge file sizes.  Maybe one day :D
Using lossy compression destroys high-quality experience...

...anyway, I think the game's engine works smoother when it operates with uncompressed *.wav files...

You can always use some media player to play your favourite music in background, this solves the problem with pause between tracks and you can set your volume as you desire, so for me there's no sense of requesting any code changes in this area, while the guys have enough work with the updates and new features :)

Destroys the high-quality experience? It's lossy, yes, but you won't be able to tell the difference between the original WAV and a high bitrate (200KBs+) .opus file or 320Kbs MP3 file.  Instead of having 1GB of WAV's, you can have <100mb .opus files.

Decoding MP3 or .opus in-game would place so little burden on your CPU, it's barely worth talking about, and it would decrease disk I/O.

Not priority change obviously, just nice to have.
I've already heard this before, for multiple times, but it all depends on what your ears are used to hear everyday, every time you're listening up some music, or even when you're watching a movies... (all sounds I hear, even those from movies, are at the highest quality possible, simultaneously pitched down in a real-time from 440 to 432 Hz, according to the "A4" note)

I can really hear and feel the difference, especially when I can turn subwoofer off hardware-side (I prefer hardware EQ, trying to avoid the software ones), because the biggest quality impact of lossy compression is noticeable through the high frequencies (like hi-hat, crash, hi-pitched piano or violin).

To be sure who's right you need to at least try a different way, not just repeating what others want you to think...

...did you know that standard cd-quality is some kind of compression already compared to analog audio sound from a vinyl or a good deck playing good quality tape? When you compare the sound spectrum you'll see how a digital sound got compressed.

Any further questions? :)

...even the Light needs a background, or some dirt, to become visible... ...

Offline readyworm

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2020, 11:06 PM »
I've already heard this before, for multiple times, but it all depends on what your ears are used to hear everyday, every time you're listening up some music, or even when you're watching a movies... (all sounds I hear, even those from movies, are at the highest quality possible, simultaneously pitched down in a real-time from 440 to 432 Hz, according to the "A4" note)

I can really hear and feel the difference, especially when I can turn subwoofer off hardware-side (I prefer hardware EQ, trying to avoid the software ones), because the biggest quality impact of lossy compression is noticeable through the high frequencies (like hi-hat, crash, hi-pitched piano or violin).

To be sure who's right you need to at least try a different way, not just repeating what others want you to think...

...did you know that standard cd-quality is some kind of compression already compared to analog audio sound from a vinyl or a good deck playing good quality tape? When you compare the sound spectrum you'll see how a digital sound got compressed.

Any further questions?

What are you talking about?  CD captures a bandlimited signal to half the sampling rate, as per Nyquist, so perfectly reproduces frequencies up to 22Khz.  No compression.  The 16 bits of dynamic range also exceeds vinyl and tape by a large margin even without dithering and noise shaping which gives even more headroom.  Lets not even go into the inherent flaws of vinyl and tape!

Back to my point though, which was that you won't be able to tell the difference between a well encoded stereo .opus file and the lossless source, on any equipment ... why don't you just do blind ABX trials and prove that you can?  I look forward to seeing your results Mr.Golden Ears :) !

Offline GrO

• 🌞🌞🌞🌞♾️🌞🌞🌞🌞

• Poland Poland
  • ⚘🌹🌷 🌿 🌻 🍀 🌷🌹⚘
    • View Profile
    • 440Hz >>> 432Hz
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 12:53 PM »

Any further questions?

What are you talking about?  CD captures a bandlimited signal to half the sampling rate, as per Nyquist, so perfectly reproduces frequencies up to 22Khz.  No compression.  The 16 bits of dynamic range also exceeds vinyl and tape by a large margin even without dithering and noise shaping which gives even more headroom.  Lets not even go into the inherent flaws of vinyl and tape!

Back to my point though, which was that you won't be able to tell the difference between a well encoded stereo .opus file and the lossless source, on any equipment ... why don't you just do blind ABX trials and prove that you can?  I look forward to seeing your results Mr.Golden Ears :) !
...all you written here is old, while they didn't want to write on each CD that it won't give the same feeling as analog audio. Vinyl's clicks and crackles have nothing to do with the sound spectrum and did you even hear about metal tapes?

Did you ever hear of hi-res audio?

You're just showing your ignorance and I don't feel a need to prove anything to anyone, but I can assure you I can more feel the difference than hear it, it's hard to explain and I don't think you're the one who can understand that. Greets <3

...even the Light needs a background, or some dirt, to become visible... ...

Offline readyworm

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 08:53 PM »
...all you written here is old, while they didn't want to write on each CD that it won't give the same feeling as analog audio. Vinyl's clicks and crackles have nothing to do with the sound spectrum and did you even hear about metal tapes?

Did you ever hear of hi-res audio?

You're just showing your ignorance and I don't feel a need to prove anything to anyone, but I can assure you I can more feel the difference than hear it, it's hard to explain and I don't think you're the one who can understand that. Greets <3

It sounds like confirmation bias to me. The ABX tests would prove it either way, it would be interesting to see if you really can feel the difference.

Hi-res audio is a bad idea (unless recording/mixing), sold as snake oil and can actually make the sound worse than 44.1.   Monty Montgomery does a great video on this here.  Also, a lot of vinyls are cut with lathes that use digital lines - so is it really analogue? ;)

https://web.archive.org/web/20200426050432/http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 08:40 AM by readyworm »