Forums
April 24, 2024, 07:54 AM

Author Topic: ** PC Game Reviews **  (Read 8305 times)

Offline Anubis

Re: ** PC Game Reviews **
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 09:46 PM »
This is my first Review so it's far from perfect, but I will try to give a good insight of the game and if it's worth the cash.
I can already give you the tldr answer: Yes it is.

Dead Island

1. Story (Spoiler)

The story is pretty straight forward, simple and generic, you are stuck on the island of Banoi. You enter the scenery as a guest of the Hotel Royal Palms Resort after an outbreak with zombies and you are, together with 3 other people, the only ones that seem to not get infected, so you are forced to help the other survivors in order to.. survive yourself! The main plot is to get off the island. Side-Plots are to help other people with their needs and find out why you are not getting infected. There is a little twist at the end but I could tell it beforehand so I am not giving the Story part the best score.

Score: 7,5/10

2. Presentation

The graphics are well done yet not the highest standard you can currently find out there, If you have a 3-4 years old PC you can probably run it on maximum settings without a problem. It does have very good lighting and shadow effects, the wind keeps palms in motion as a monsoon is approaching the island so you can expect various weather changes during your play.

Sound is a very important aspect for a Horror-Survival game, and this is where Dead Island shines the most. You will hear Zombies everywhere, growls, screams and scary noises are almost always present when you are out to fulfill the various quests. These sounds are not just scripted audio, each sound you hear is an actual zombie, so when you hear them you can be sure they are around somewhere. This ensures that you don't feel too safe, even when you are not fighting.

The world is huge, you can use cars to travel around. Don't need to tell you that you can also kill zombies with this method. ;) The zombies are very detailed, no clone warriors all the time and you will find a lot of variations of skins. Some even use weapons or even worse throw them at you!

The atmosphere due to this, is brilliant, you will feel yourself sucked into the world of survival.

Score: 9/10

3. Gameplay

As Dead Island is also published on the consoles PS3 and Xbox360 you can play it either with a joypad or with mouse+keyboard. I tested both and both works absolutely fine while mouse+keyboard is slightly ahead since you can aim more precise. But it's no game-breaker to play with a joypad. You will be able to slaughter the zombies just as fine. ;)

Dead Island is a 1st Person Action RPG. You will find millions of items. From weapons, to Cash $ to things you can just sell and very importantly to modify your weapons. If you have ever played any Action RPG you will find yourself familiar with the various colors of quality. It starts with common white and green items and ends with legendary orange items. (cough WoW)

At the beginning you will of course pick a character, each 4 of them has a specialty and a slightly different skill tree and "special attacks". Sam B for example is the one that excels with blunt weapons thus you should focus your search on these. But since you start with no equipment, you will basically grab every weapon you find, be it a little knife or a wooden paddle, everything that can inflict damage is going to help you survive.

Each weapon has a durability which is very important in this game, if it goes down to zero it's broken. You can't use it, no way to repair it, it's just gone! Speaking of, you can always repair them before they break apart, so you should do that with your favorite ones. You can also upgrade them and modify them with blue prints-

The blueprints are awarded for successfully finishing quests or just by exploring the immense world. And there are tons of side-quests, if you just follow the main-quest you will not even get close to what you can find (weapons and modifications) in Dead Island. The Quests are straight forward but not stupid like kill 10 Zombies and come back. They fit well in the situations you are. There are so many hidden places that encourage you to look around. And I can tell you that with the bad boys of weapons you can REALLY make a hard time for the zombies. Swords, Maces, bombs and mines, Rifles or even the classic shotgun are all in the game, some being even unique. When you finally have a katana you will enter a new dimension of limb cutting. A huge axe that practically slaughters a zombie in 2 parts are also worth to mention. ;)

The combat animations are very well done, you feel the momentum of your weapons. Huge weapons need more energy. Small weapons like a knife are accurate and fast and need less energy but you will need to get closer. This you can archive by kicking a zombie, it will basically stun the zombie or even let him fall down so you can kill him smoothly, if there are no other zombies already attacking you, which is almost always the case. So the game is very fast paced with a lot of action and you don't run around wondering what to do.

One of the bad aspects in the game is that it can get repetitive as it's an action RPG you will always just hunt for new and better weapons or the next level up. Beside the quests it's just pure grind or exploration. So if you are done with the quests and found every place you can just grind zombies. The Zombies are always around your level, so you can not level out of the range, or vice versa. After you have finished the game you can play the game again and keep all your weapons and level. As far as I know there is no maximum level so you can eventually skill everything and make an uber-Char.

Score: 8/10

4. Multiplayer

The Multiplayer is AWESOME!

Basically at every point you can simply join someone else game if he/she allowed it to be a public game. Your solo-progress then gets saved and you enter the quest-progress of the player you join. That means you can play on your own and when your friend comes online to play you just hop in and have fun. The zombie lvl gets adjusted. In Multiplayer (up to 4 player) the classes really serve a purpose. Sam B is basically the Tank so he pulls more Aggro/Threat to the zombies. Xian is the Damage Dealer if you want, lot's of damage and abilities to lower the threat, doing more damage to enemies if attacking from behind etc.

Killing hordes of zombies together is the real deal in this game, if you have a friend go grab him and then have lots of fun!

Score: 10/10

Overall Score: 8,5/10

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:49 PM by DeathInFire »

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 10:56 PM »
dead island looks really cool, I was impressed with the graphics, ill get it for ps3 x)
worm and learn

Offline angus

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 07:58 PM »
eyey Im installing deus ex human revolution

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 03:20 PM »
nobody speaking about age of empire online which is a very good game ?

Offline Turko

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 12:34 AM »

Yeah nice game... but i prefer age of mythology
Asbest`FAW> after match I will complain to ffie 
MOD`Dmitry> ok i too 
TdC--Turko> and ill get a lawyer

Spoiler! View

TdC''Turko> When will you fix your pc?
TaG'G> Never
TaG'G> Or maybe next week

Offline Gabriel

• Slacker is a queefer

• Chile Chile
  • UC UC clan

• Might come back later idk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 03:09 AM »

yeah
its good, i still play AOE 2 conquerors... great old game
Mole shopper is the worst thing in the world.

Offline HHC

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Worms Crazy Golf
Released 19th October @ Steam.

Yep, it's the newest title in the worms series. Golf, but then played by worms, in a wormy universe, with sheep, grannies, moles, mines, etcetera.

The game itself is but small. There's 3 courses/environments of each 18 holes (/maps) and 15 special challenges. There's no terrain editor to make your own courses (or random map generator, so you're stuck with the ones that come with the game). There is hotseat mode (up to 4 players), but no online multiplayer option (which kinda sucks for those who have no friends and whose brothers live faar away  :'(). The only thing online are leaderboards for the challenges.

This all sounds pretty minimal, and I guess it is, but it must be mentioned that this game costs only 7,19 euro.
Team17 has also made sure there's more to each map than just reaching the hole in 2 turns time. There's coins you can pick up (which you can use to buy goodies), crates to gather (not sure yet what these do) and achievements to score. In some courses there are coins and crates in tough places and it's really an additional challenge to collect all of them (you gotta make pro-shots).

Alas though, once you've collected everything there really isn't much more to keep you hooked on the game (This is a 2-3 weeks game I guess?). But the price isn't so high, so it's acceptable.

The gameplay is really easy. Once you start your first course you'll get all the help you need to make a shot and understand what each obstacle on the course does (it must be mentioned though that some of these tips are difficult to understand).
The controls are easy. Just use space to give power to your shot and use the mouse to select which club you desire (there's 4 of them: dirver, iron, wedge and putter). The comp makes it even more easier by auto-selecting the right club (sometimes you wanna switch to a different one though) and by marking the flag on the putter's powerbar.
You need to apply quite some force to give the ball a good swing, but you get the hang of it soon enough.

The golf is fairly fun to play. What makes me especially happy is that this one still has the good old worms-feeling to it. It's all in 2D (god-bless) and the worms and sheep have had a nice graphical overhaul. The worms no longer 'conflict' with the map like they kinda did in Worms:Reloaded. The game automatically zooms in when you're near the put, the worms and map really look cute then  8)
It makes you wish this game was so much more than golf. You know, being able to fight a good old worms fight on it. The terrain obstacles could make for quite an interesting game and the general feel of this game has given me back the trust in T17's capabilities to make a sweet new 2d-worms game for the PC (rather than some 'crappy' port).

Bugs?
Yes, there's bugs still. When a ball is pushed by a magnet against a lil bump (which makes it roll back again) the ball never ceases to move, thereby forcing you to restart the course. Also, when the ball lands on a worm vertically, the worm is killed, but the ball hovers in the air for a bit. It falls to the ground though when your worm is up for another go.

Rating: 8/10.
T17 did a good job on this one. Too bad the game is so small though and the only game you can play is golf. It makes you yearn for so much more.  :)

Links:
Worms Crazy Golf at Steam Store:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/70620/

Offline rash

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 05:22 PM »
nice reviews hhc, i was thinking to buy it on pc or on iphone !!

Offline HHC

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 02:09 PM »

Panzer Corps

I bought the whole set today  8)

Already owned the basic game and the '39 and '40 grand campaign.
Now I'm downloading (from the store) the '41, '42, '43 (East), '44 (East) and '45 (East) expansions. As well as the '42-'43 (West) campaign, as well as the new Afrika Korps 'sub-title'.

I'm really glad you showed me this game Anubi, it still gives me lots of fun and well... I have about 80 scenario's to play now.  ;D

edit: link: http://www.slitherine.com/games/panzer_corps_pc

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 02:11 PM by HHC »

Offline Anubis

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 08:30 PM »
cool that you enjoy it! :)

Currently I am playing Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. Really great game and lot's of fun.

Offline HHC

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 08:42 PM »
looks like a pretty messy game to me *chop* *weeee* *hi flying head*  :o

:D

Offline Anubis

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 03:58 PM »
At first I thought the same, but while learning the game and different classes it becomes a lot more tactical on a personal level. I can beat even 2v1 now if I don't do any mistakes. People that just go in swinging like mad are easy targets for me since the man at arms (swift, weak armored class) can dodge these attacks pretty easily. Archers are hard to play, even with my FPS background of like 500+hours it feels like I am a total noob at it. I have unlocked the last bow which puts more force into the shot so it has less "bullet-fall", so that helped a bit, but still I under-perform compared to my skills in melee. Nonetheless since I purchased it on friday night I have sunk well over 30hours in it. Pretty good deal for 20 Euro. :)

Offline philie

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 10:55 PM »
surgeon simulator 2013

just lol!

this game is about being part in all the things that can go wrong at transplanting organs.
you're in the operating room, got the patient and all you need in front of you and control the doctors hand. so for example you need to grab scalpel and bonesaw, cut the sick heart free, take it out, put the new heart in and seam things up again. which is pretty tricky and needs some practice cause you control each finger and hand move seperatly.
(mostly) because of the difficult controls things go horribly wrong.
sounds like the controls would suck, but indeed they are pretty fun to try around with.
check out the demo:

http://downloads.bossastudios.com/ss2013/surgeonsimulator2013_win.zip

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 11:23 PM »
I could use this game for practice.  I attempted to preform surgery on myself two days ago to remove a small cyst from an ingrown hair on my penis with a sterilized pocketknife blade.  Needless to say, it did not work out and I will be having a professional finish the procedure gwahaha.  Darkone, are you in or out? ;D

Offline SpideR

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 09:32 AM »
I could use this game for practice.  I attempted to preform surgery on myself two days ago to remove a small cyst from an ingrown hair on my penis with a sterilized pocketknife blade.  Needless to say, it did not work out and I will be having a professional finish the procedure gwahaha.  Darkone, are you in or out? ;D

Eeew, that's a terrible game review! I'm not playing it. Funny hahaha

About HHC's post, worms golf, I think I'll take a look and buy it just to support team17 and for the curiosity of it, hoping it will turns Team17 attetion to our worms scene, specially Worms Armageddon, which should get a new look, version, improovements by developers, specially wormnet-ranks and classic gameplay. That would be extraordinary!