Forums
April 20, 2024, 07:46 AM

Author Topic: Mario Kart live: home circuit  (Read 1808 times)

Offline HHC

Mario Kart live: home circuit
« on: October 18, 2020, 11:57 AM »

Interesting concept  :)
It looks rather crappy in reality tho.. a bit jerky and I imagine it's superhard to actually make a smooth corner into your map.
And well, only got 1 house to play in xD + shitty flat surfaces.

It would make more sense if you had this car with a camera on it that you could use to make a circuit, and then upload it and not let the toy car drive it live.
It also raises the question... what about time trial? You can only race a circuit once??

All in all, it seems more like a toy for kids to play around with? Rather than an actual race sim?  ???

Offline TheKomodo

Re: Mario Kart live: home circuit
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 12:24 PM »
Ooo, this looks awesome!

I could definitely see myself getting this in the future at some point, not in the house i'm in now though.

This is why I love Nintendo and feel they are vastly superior when it comes to video gaming, they are constantly creative, always trying new things and crazy ideas, even if they don't work!

Where as other consoles feel better graphics and more powerful machines are more important, Nintendo are having the time of their life and don't give a f**k about that being realistic.  :)

Man, I can see people making some amazing courses using plywood and stuff.

HOLY SH*T you know how people make those automated marble run things, imagine making an automated mario circuit!

The potential for this is amazing  :-*

Thanks for the share!

Offline Anubis

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 10:32 AM »
Can't you theoretically use this outside as well? Would open up more options and better surfaces.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 11:00 AM »
Can't you theoretically use this outside as well? Would open up more options and better surfaces.

I was personally thinking take it to a skate park  ;)

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 10:06 PM »
This is on the christmas list for my son this year!

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 11:00 PM »

Best thing about having kids, buy them presents that are really for you  :D

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 08:05 PM »

Best thing about having kids, buy them presents that are really for you  :D

Totally I said to my wife.. we could get this for them... or you could get it for me!  ;D ;D We've just got kittens as well so think it will be well funny when they chase the kart.

I think the game recognizes when you hit an object in the real world and stops the cart in the game, and also setting up all the toys around the edge of the track and stuff.

I can imagine that the novelty may run out fairly quickly, or perhaps what makes it unique will be designing the tracks.. the challenge is multiple is so expensive... I'd have to buy another switch or get a switch lite and then the game again!!

Offline skunk3

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 07:22 AM »
I have first-hand experience with this and I think it would appeal to kids but for adult gamers it's not worth it at all. In order to get the most out of it you really, really need to enjoy trying to think of course ideas in your home, setting them up, fine tuning the track and obstacles, etc. The gameplay itself isn't as fun as normal Mario Kart. The whole experience is a cool novelty, but the novelty factor wears off really fast; at least it did for me. It's basically like playing with a RC car with some Mario Kart flavor.

I used to really love Nintendo but these days I just can't support them. I like most of their 1st party IPs and games but I can't stand the company itself. The games hardly ever go on sale (if at all), the Switch itself is a total piece of crap in several ways, and Nintendo is always focusing on dumb gimmicks rather than trying to put out a system that can compete. There's many other valid reasons as to why people shouldn't support Nintendo nowadays but I won't bother. I wish Nintendo would just stop making systems altogether and release games for all platforms, even if that would require buying gimmicky peripherals.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 06:04 PM »
I completely disagree but my info is very limited.

I love Nintendo for always trying to break barriers and show innovation. I believe them to be the most innovative console on the market. Their audience is younger than PS4 and xbox and the games a great for kids. If you want a more adult gaming experience buy another console, but Nintendo are great and associate the brand with all the childhood memories we had when young and gaming on NES and SNES. The pokemon games that came out recently are good and so are the Zelda series.

Mario kart live has a limited novelty factor for sure, but not so much for kids. Plus if you can get your friends over (won't happen in a pandemic) and do 2 player mario kart live it would be a lot of fun too.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 11:46 AM »
Nintendo is more family & kid friendly. I say this because I grew up with nes, snes, & N64. When I went to PlayStation & PC, it felt more cooler and hardcore. But today I have no consoles, just a gaming PC with great emulation capabilities. But to emulate Mario Kart Live isn't even worth it. Even if it was cheap I wouldn't even be bothered to acquire it, it is just a cheap novelty that will keep my interest for a minute or two.  I salute them for trying, and I am sure it would have appealed to kid me :)
I rather have Worms Live, play on your opponent furniture or something....

Todays games are more like a live service often with gambling gimmicks &  mechanics. There's no soul and heart to games anymore, just a lot with an addicting gameplay where you toss out money in sake of an endless grind which has no substance but to feel good.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline skunk3

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 11:00 AM »
I don't mind innovating when it comes to gaming, but to keep that innovation locked away behind proprietary consoles really sucks, especially when the consoles are lacking in power compared to other offerings, and also when a lot of the 'innovations' aren't really that great. I'd much rather be able to buy Nintendo titles on Playstation (my preferred platform) and purchase accessories if necessary. A lot of the innovations that Nintendo have implemented are gimmicky and not very good in general, and I say that having owned most of them at one point or another.

I don't necessarily want an 'adult gaming experience' from my console/games - I just want quality games that are fun to play and have a good replay value. Nintendo's games are great... I just hate their consoles. The Switch is a total piece of shit, hardware-wise. The joycons in particular are so fragile and prone to breakage that you might as well buy a replacement pair the moment you buy a Switch. It also just feels awkward as hell playing a Switch. It's not ergonomic at all, everything feels tiny (at least for adult hands) and the screen quality isn't very good. The Wii U was a joke. The original Wii was interesting when it first came out but for me the novelty factor wore off quickly. It was pretty fun for casual 4 player local gameplay, like if you are hanging out and drinking with friends or whatever... but for more serious gaming? Nah. The Gamecube had some decent games on it but for idiotic reasons Nintendo decided to not go with a standard DVD format and chose these tiny discs and weird controllers instead. The last decent console Nintendo made IMO was the N64, but even by then their main competitors had adopted CD-ROM as their format, which meant much better audio quality and more storage space for textures and whatnot. N64 was cool when it first came out but it has not aged as well as, say, the PS1 IMO. (PS1 also has vastly more good titles available for it.)

All that isn't even getting into the true handhelds and the gimmicks wrapped up therein. I have a soft spot in my heart for Nintendo but in recent years I've learned more and more about how they suck as a company (there's so many YouTube videos on this) and that combined with the gimmicks and games that never go on sale is enough to keep me away. Nintendo's online gaming service is also absolute garbage compared to Sony or Microsoft. Right now the best value in gaming is a used PS4, hands down.

Offline biscojoe

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 08:28 PM »
I don't mind innovating when it comes to gaming, but to keep that innovation locked away behind proprietary consoles really sucks, especially when the consoles are lacking in power compared to other offerings, and also when a lot of the 'innovations' aren't really that great. I'd much rather be able to buy Nintendo titles on Playstation (my preferred platform) and purchase accessories if necessary. A lot of the innovations that Nintendo have implemented are gimmicky and not very good in general, and I say that having owned most of them at one point or another.

I don't necessarily want an 'adult gaming experience' from my console/games - I just want quality games that are fun to play and have a good replay value. Nintendo's games are great... I just hate their consoles. The Switch is a total piece of shit, hardware-wise. The joycons in particular are so fragile and prone to breakage that you might as well buy a replacement pair the moment you buy a Switch. It also just feels awkward as hell playing a Switch. It's not ergonomic at all, everything feels tiny (at least for adult hands) and the screen quality isn't very good. The Wii U was a joke. The original Wii was interesting when it first came out but for me the novelty factor wore off quickly. It was pretty fun for casual 4 player local gameplay, like if you are hanging out and drinking with friends or whatever... but for more serious gaming? Nah. The Gamecube had some decent games on it but for idiotic reasons Nintendo decided to not go with a standard DVD format and chose these tiny discs and weird controllers instead. The last decent console Nintendo made IMO was the N64, but even by then their main competitors had adopted CD-ROM as their format, which meant much better audio quality and more storage space for textures and whatnot. N64 was cool when it first came out but it has not aged as well as, say, the PS1 IMO. (PS1 also has vastly more good titles available for it.)

All that isn't even getting into the true handhelds and the gimmicks wrapped up therein. I have a soft spot in my heart for Nintendo but in recent years I've learned more and more about how they suck as a company (there's so many YouTube videos on this) and that combined with the gimmicks and games that never go on sale is enough to keep me away. Nintendo's online gaming service is also absolute garbage compared to Sony or Microsoft. Right now the best value in gaming is a used PS4, hands down.

agreed. putting a solid state drive in my PS4 Pro was prob one of the best things i've done lol... i paid out my ass for an Xbox Series X in December... and i won't do that again for a PS5, i'll wait for it to restock at retail price.... will most likely be buying the digital edition too for $100 cheaper. Nintendo was good back in the day man... if anything... you can't hate on the N64. Goldeneye, Mario Party, Mario Kart etc etc etc. Even the SNES and regular Nintendo were the shit. but as the generations progressed, they got worse. totally agree. Sony/Microsoft takes the W. good game.