Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:33 AM

Author Topic: Borderlands 3 (rant)  (Read 1302 times)

Offline skunk3

Borderlands 3 (rant)
« on: September 13, 2019, 06:32 AM »
Not too many games get me excited nowadays but I am a big fan of the Borderlands games and was waiting for this one to drop for a while. I finally got it downloaded and installed today and f@#!...

The first thing that I noticed is that it takes a full minute just to load up the initial splash screen. A FULL MINUTE. What is this, 3DO? The next thing that I noticed is that I was not getting any sound whatsoever. I decided to start up a game so I can see the intro cutscene and make a character, but nope. It went to a blank, black screen and just stayed there. I even waited 3-4 minutes before finally ALT+F4'ing out of the game and restarting. I messed with different video settings and the same thing happened every time.

On the third tab of the video options screen I noticed a benchmark test that I could run, so I did. My settings were on 1080p resolution but everything else was set to low/off and when it loaded the benchmark I saw myself flying through the game for a bit and I was averaging maybe 20 fps. AT MOST I'd hit 40 and at worst it would dip around 12-13. That is absolutely ridiculous. If I can play Monster Hunter World in 1080p with basically maxed out settings sure I can run this game, right?

I checked out some Reddit threads and apparently loads of people are having issues on all platforms. I'm so damn sick of games being released with crippling, game-breaking bugs and lack of optimization. It's kinda sad that we more or less have to expect these days that games in many cases won't be *actually* playable until like 2 weeks after launch.

$60 spent... now I gotta wait for patches. Yay. 

Offline TheKaren

Re: Borderlands 3 (rant)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 07:44 AM »
What did you expect to happen when Epics exclusive buyout rushes the game into release? To be fair though, this is a trend that happens more and more to all aspects of gaming these days.

It also saves them time and money, if they release a game early and millions of people find and report bugs for them, rather than them paying game testers to do it professionally.

I'm surprised you even bothered with Epic in the 1st place knowing your stance on the gaming industry from other threads.

I think those of us who have chosen to wait until the Steam release are the lucky ones, at least the game will be more polished then.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 08:27 PM »
I'd rather the game be on Steam but I didn't want to wait, and I don't think it's silly to expect that a game should work reasonably well upon launch. The modern gaming industry just sucks and I am tired of games coming out broken.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 07:13 AM »
I'd rather the game be on Steam but I didn't want to wait

If more people had the patience and discipline to boycott Epic Games Store, this sort of thing might not happen.

I was incredibly excited about Borderlands 3 as Borderlands 2 is literally one of my all time favourite games, I felt heartbroken after finding out it was a Epic exclusive, and the same thing happened this morning after catching up on the progress of Mechwarrior 5 and discovered Epic have f**king bought that out as an exclusive as well!

It's only been a few days since BL3s release and already the onslaught of complaints and evidence showing bad things is overwhelming...

From IPs associated with Tencent, to weird upload speeds, people who bought the game on EGS not being able to access the game, game bugs, crashes, and failure to launchs, amongst other problems, it's f**king ridiculous, and I am f**king baffled as to why anybody is stupid enough to even support Epic Games at all.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 07:15 AM by TheKomodo »

Offline STRGRN

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 08:28 AM »

If more people had the patience and discipline to boycott Epic Games Store, this sort of thing might not happen.

I was incredibly excited about Borderlands 3 as Borderlands 2 is literally one of my all time favourite games, I felt heartbroken after finding out it was a Epic exclusive, and the same thing happened this morning after catching up on the progress of Mechwarrior 5 and discovered Epic have f**king bought that out as an exclusive as well!

It's only been a few days since BL3s release and already the onslaught of complaints and evidence showing bad things is overwhelming...

From IPs associated with Tencent, to weird upload speeds, people who bought the game on EGS not being able to access the game, game bugs, crashes, and failure to launchs, amongst other problems, it's f**king ridiculous, and I am f**king baffled as to why anybody is stupid enough to even support Epic Games at all.

I use epic only for the free games every week, haven't bought anything from then

Offline skunk3

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 02:08 AM »

The only experience that I have with Epic is when Fortnite first came out. I played it for maybe a month and got bored with it. Aside from that I have no experience with them and know nothing about the company or any games on its platform.

I tried running BL3 and for some reason it worked. I got a different splash screen, an intro animation that I never saw before, and sound. I was also able to create a character and start a game. Unfortunately, the in-game performance is so bad that it is essentially unplayable on my system. Even with the resolution set as low as it can go and with ALL graphical options turned to 'low' or even off, I get horrible frame rates and constant stuttering, lagginess, etc. I got killed a few times by level 1 peons simply because I couldn't shoot properly. I am hoping for some patch(es) to come out soon so I can actually enjoy the game.

Online Sensei

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 06:47 AM »
Unfortunately, the in-game performance is so bad that it is essentially unplayable on my system. Even with the resolution set as low as it can go and with ALL graphical options turned to 'low' or even off

I'm all about those low settings and getting the highest frame rates for competitiveness..
But you don't buy AAA titles to run it on 1024x768 and with everything off. Even if it worked, what would be the point? You're not crazy to play this game under that circumstances.

What's your rig btw, cpu/gpu/ram?

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 07:31 AM »
The only experience that I have with Epic is when Fortnite first came out. I played it for maybe a month and got bored with it. Aside from that I have no experience with them and know nothing about the company or any games on its platform.

Not to mention EGS having a lack of basic/standard features...

This will get you started - https://www.reddit.com/r/f@#!epic/comments/bs4kh6/rf@#!epic_for_dummies_a_quick_breakdown/

I'd also do more research into security concerns, spying, plagiarism, manipulation and anything else you can think of.

Steam is not perfect, but they don't pull anywhere even close to the amount of shady sh*t Epic does.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 12:56 PM »
Not to mention you have to swap language with a command prompt like it's 2000 again.
https://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035330994-Borderlands-3-Changing-the-Language-on-Epic-
Fanboys said 2K did this on purpose, yeah buddy, that's why there are so many games on Steam where you have to use a command prompt instead of a drop-down menu to change language. Sure... LOL

Epic game store is a disease and it's a paid early access launch, the real release will be April 2020 on Steam with major bugs removed and optimizations to make it run smoothly. Also yeah Komo, I was SO excited for MW5, more than BL3. It is literally the franchise I got my nickname from
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anubis
for W:A. But oh well, looking at BL3 I suppose it's fine impatient people pay for the development of the game and get to experience a buggy and beta version of the game. I will enjoy it once it comes out for real on Steam. My backlog is gigantic anyway, currently playing Witcher 3 with all DLC. :D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:01 PM by Anubis »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 04:51 PM »
Oh wow, I thought your name was simply from the god of death :o

Indeed, I was looking forward to the release of MW5 so much, and then this  :'(

The biggest part of me really hopes it comes out on Steam or somewhere else after 6-12 months of being a lame EGS exclusive as well.

I don't mind patiently waiting while the epig shills give epic their money to be game testers for a while.