Forums
March 29, 2024, 07:04 AM

Author Topic: Hedgewars, a free W:A-like game  (Read 893 times)

Offline Wuzzy

Hedgewars, a free W:A-like game
« on: December 15, 2020, 11:56 PM »
I like to present to you Hedgewars, in the hopes that some might find it interesting. :-*

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: https://hedgewars.org/
OFFICIAL CHATROOM: https://hedgewars.org/chat

Gameplay video:

More videos (no music):

More screenshots

Hedgewars is a free software game that is very similar to W:A. The gameplay is similar, but all graphics, sounds, music, missions, are still origial creations. It's also hedgehogs instead of worms. xD

Some of you might have heard of Hedgewars before. If that is the case, you probably played an unfinished beta version. Well, I like to tell you that last year, we had the big release of version 1.0.0, which was a huge milestone for us. It brought many new features and of course, bugfixes.

Since you all know W:A, I probably don't need to explain the gameplay of Hedgewars, it's very similar. We don't really make a secret about that, and it's kind of the point of this project. ;)

So instead I write how Hedgewars differs:
  • While the gameplay is very similar (this is not a secret), all sounds, graphics, music, maps, missions, campaigns, the coding and every single file in this game is an original creation. Hedgewars is the result of years of work. There was never any blatant copy of any file from any Worms game, ever.
  • It is completely free of charge
  • It is 100% free software. "free software" means that every line of code, every image, every sound and music, literally everything in the game is in the open and can be changed and shared freely (even on file-sharing services). There are no “corporate secrets”. W:A, on the other hand, is proprietary software, which means it is a copyright infringement to share it around. Hedgewars being free software is and has always been the number 1 priority for Hedgewars; the free software movement is the reason why Hedgewars exists.
  • Hedgewars works on macOS and GNU/Linux, too.  8)
  • Our community is currently much smaller. Like, REALLY smaller   :-[
  • Hedgewars has been included in the OFFICIAL software package managers of many Linux distributions.
  • It's a volunteer project which we just do for fun. We don't make money with it.
  • We are only a very small core developer team, there's no company behind it.
  • Over the years, we had many contributors that contributed large and small things. Many things were actually community contributions. In total, we had over 150 contributors so far
  • Some weapons are different, some weapons are the same
  • As a project, Hedgewars is pretty community-driven. A lot of game content were community submissions.
  • Hedgewars is not meant to be a "perfect" clone of W:A, just to be similar (not identical) in gameplay. This gives us a lot of freedoms in development. :P

Unique features in Hedgewars:
  • Unique, preinstalled game modes: There are many special game modes that you can choose for a different gameplay. For example, we have Construction Mode in which you build structures and buy weapons
  • Scripting: You can create your own game modes and missions with Lua scripting. We have an extensive guide
  • You can make your own themes
  • Add-ons system. Extend Hedgewars with so-called HWP files to add new themes, graphics, voices, and whatnot. Add-ons make sharing of resources easy.
  • "Downloadable Content" section. This is a list of (free) add-ons that you can install right in the game.
  • There is an official master server. OK, this is not unique, but you can start your own independent master server if you really want to
  • Zoom
  • Hedgehogs with hats!
  • Extensive Knowledge Base for those who want to create their own content (graphics, sounds, missions, ...)

About my person:
I am one of the main developers behind Hedgewars. Yes, it's true.   8) But I am actually not the first Hedgewars developer. The project founder is unC0Rr. I actually joined the developer team much later, but I was very active since then. I not only coded a lot, fixed bugs, and all that, I also spent a huge amount of time on working on the help files (i.e. the wiki) for Hedgewars, which was still very incomplete a few years ago.

I used to be a heavy W:A player myself many, many years ago, and I played a lot online. So yeah, I think I know W:A pretty well, but that was years ago. But I am still very passionate about games in general, and I have played hundreds of games over the years. And I still do. And now I'm a game maker myself. :D

Contributing to, and later developing Hedgewars was and continues to be an interesting journey to me. I learned a lot about coding in that time, and I had a lot of fun doing so. I still occassionally contribute to Hedgewars. And who knows? Maybe there will be new and better versions later!   :D

If you have any question about Hedgewars, feel free to ask. :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 12:57 PM by Wuzzy »
Play Hedgewars, a free W:A-like game.

Offline TheKaren

Re: Hedgewars, a free W:A-like game
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 02:02 AM »
Can you link some videos of gameplay please?

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 07:00 AM »
so... hi

...do i sound familiar to you?

Offline Wuzzy

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 12:56 PM »
Some videos:
Online play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHsi9u5Jitw
Random singleplayer (no music): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5cQ5wiVn6W3BGtk-3a5C1g/videos

BTW: Hi, TheMadCharles. ;-)
Play Hedgewars, a free W:A-like game.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 07:08 AM »
I've tried Hedgewars several times and while it's not bad, WA is just so much better. Hedgewars is a good effort but it's a shame that talent and effort wasn't directed towards helping improve WA instead.