Forums
March 28, 2024, 02:13 PM

Author Topic: Innovation in games  (Read 2602 times)

Offline skunk3

Re: Innovation in games
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2017, 03:36 PM »
I know or have known people who I would classify as addicts. They would go to work and pay their bills and stuff, but aside from that they spent almost every waking moment playing various games, for YEARS. I was certainly like that at one point when it comes to Worms, but as I've gotten older I have more fully realized how precious time is, not to mention the fact that I have worked through some emotional issues that led me to closing myself off to the world.

I've read the link that Komo posted before and I think it is absolutely correct. The best analogy I can think of for MMO games is a 'hamster wheel for the human mind.' You work and work and work hoping for some kind of a reward or pleasure, but it is always kept out of reach. The amount of grinding required in these games to be on top / competitive is insane since the games themselves don't really require any skill. All that matters is the gear you have, and also some knowledge of various meta aspects of the game (knowing what is under or overpowered, history of buffs and nerfs, etc). I've played various MMO games over the years and I always get bored eventually because at a certain point there's nothing to do but grind, grind, grind and HOPE to get some item that can make your stats *slightly* better. It is a hamster wheel.

One of the reasons why W:A can keep my attention after so long is because there's no grind involved, per se.

I don't get the obsession with MOBA games. I've tried a few and it can be fun to play for maybe a couple of days but in the end it feels extremely repetitive and boring.

FPS games annoy the shit out of me because people know every little exploit, every nook and cranny of maps, and it seems like everyone but me has the magical ability to dial in a headshot within milliseconds. Whenever I come across someone in FPS, I can unload on them and hit them with several shots and then they just turn around and one-shot me. EVERY TIME. I don't know what the deal is. I've always kinda sucked at FPS because of this reason. I have decent reflexes (I used to play in IRL fighting game tournaments) but I guess it's the 3D nature of FPS that gets me so screwed up. I often find myself raging because I'll get killed by some f@#!er 2 miles away with a pistol, in a f@#!ed up hiding spot that I'd probably never notice.

Destiny is the only FPS that's managed to hold my attention for a while because I like all of the co-op aspects to it. I also like how it's kinda RPG-like in many ways. I'll be playing Destiny 2 a lot once it drops for PC later this month.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2017, 05:11 PM »
The amount of grinding required in these games to be on top / competitive is insane since the games themselves don't really require any skill. All that matters is the gear you have, and also some knowledge of various meta aspects of the game (knowing what is under or overpowered, history of buffs and nerfs, etc). I've played various MMO games over the years and I always get bored eventually because at a certain point there's nothing to do but grind, grind, grind and HOPE to get some item that can make your stats *slightly* better. It is a hamster wheel.

Finally someone f**king gets it...

When I play these games I feel insulted at how easy they are, and how restricted they are, you are basically a horse chasing a carrot on a stick...

These games require next to zero creativity, they are not mentally challenging in the slightest, they are fun though, for a while, as I said the story is pretty cool in WoW, but the actual gameplay, I actually felt like my intelligence was decreasing while playing...

And as you said you grind grind grind and f**king grind for a TINY TINY TINY TINY chance of getting something, it's the opposite of real life, if you put in THAT amount of effort you WILL get results accordingly, you don't in games.

Since to me, music is one of the greatest signs of intelligence and creativity, it's had a bigger influence on life on this planet than most things, I can play any sh*t game as long as the musics good, that's why I got into WoW in the 1st place, the music and audio is truly epic and beautiful, as most fantasy games, best thing about them :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:13 PM by TheKomodo »

Offline skunk3

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 09:14 AM »
I feel like there's lots of games in which if you put in enough effort, you get results. W:A is a perfect example of that. Nobody is a Worms prodigy.

Personally, what I am really hoping for one of these days is a co-op Elder Scrolls game. Maybe 4 players max.