Forums > Gaming Central

Innovation in games

<< < (2/7) > >>

Husk:
play rock it leahue?

Kradie:
Perhaps the issue here is that the older one gets, the harder it is to find a suitable game to one's taste. Nostalgia bias can be strong element within particular group that is less willing to try what is new. Understandingly so, because the new generation may prefer and even believe what is present today to be innovative. Although without some form of knowledge of the past, it is likely the today society is as content as we were back in the days.

From my perspective there aren't a lot of games in this day and age that appeals to me. Because what was and still is in my possession is what I am quite content with. Does this make me not willing to try anything new? Well both yes and no. A game called Sonic Mania is to be released soon, and this game is to borrow everything what made the more successful Sonic great, great again. Will this offer anything new? Probably not. There's likely the same elements and expectations we are used to.

Then we have Super Mario Odyssey, it looks quite fun and very classy. But are there anything new in this game? Somewhat, there's still this basic platforming and exploring. But what makes this game interesting is how Mario can control the cap for various things in order to progress, and merge himself into a wall and go play as 2D Mario.

Of course you may not even care for Sonic nor Mario. But those are 2 examples. The rest of the games  I can think of are just the same e.g Call of Duty, Battlefield, Counter Strike, Rainbow Six Siege and Insurgency.
See how I only mentioned shooters? There's nothing special about these shooters, only that they appeal to a difference broad of audience and there's nothing wrong in that. The point is, for each installment there's little to no significant updates that are made, except for maybe story and more microtransactions.

The business model is pretty old fashioned, just look at how Android OS. It has incremental updates, it updates over time without you having to buy the entire OS over again at a later stage. Apple introduced this with their OS, and I believe Microsoft is already following this business model with incremental updates.
Buying a new game for blood price + microtransaction seems to kill it for me personally. Some of these games aren't even half finished.

In the end, we are all different and have our own particular taste, best to accept this.

melbo:
I was thinking about making a new scheme: worm's archery,but I don't have computer skills. It would be great to be able to use those training targets to apply them in the real game. Yes ideas,absolutely not concreteness

TheWalrus:

--- Quote from: Kradie on July 31, 2017, 12:59 PM ---Perhaps the issue here is that the older one gets, the harder it is to find a suitable game to one's taste. Nostalgia bias can be strong element within particular group that is less willing to try what is new. Understandingly so, because the new generation may prefer and even believe what is present today to be innovative. Although without some form of knowledge of the past, it is likely the today society is as content as we were back in the days.

From my perspective there aren't a lot of games in this day and age that appeals to me. Because what was and still is in my possession is what I am quite content with. Does this make me not willing to try anything new? Well both yes and no. A game called Sonic Mania is to be released soon, and this game is to borrow everything what made the more successful Sonic great, great again. Will this offer anything new? Probably not. There's likely the same elements and expectations we are used to.

Then we have Super Mario Odyssey, it looks quite fun and very classy. But are there anything new in this game? Somewhat, there's still this basic platforming and exploring. But what makes this game interesting is how Mario can control the cap for various things in order to progress, and merge himself into a wall and go play as 2D Mario.

Of course you may not even care for Sonic nor Mario. But those are 2 examples. The rest of the games  I can think of are just the same e.g Call of Duty, Battlefield, Counter Strike, Rainbow Six Siege and Insurgency.
See how I only mentioned shooters? There's nothing special about these shooters, only that they appeal to a difference broad of audience and there's nothing wrong in that. The point is, for each installment there's little to no significant updates that are made, except for maybe story and more microtransactions.

The business model is pretty old fashioned, just look at how Android OS. It has incremental updates, it updates over time without you having to buy the entire OS over again at a later stage. Apple introduced this with their OS, and I believe Microsoft is already following this business model with incremental updates.
Buying a new game for blood price + microtransaction seems to kill it for me personally. Some of these games aren't even half finished.

In the end, we are all different and have our own particular taste, best to accept this.

--- End quote ---
welcome back kradie

HHC:

--- Quote from: Kradie on July 31, 2017, 12:59 PM ---Perhaps the issue here is that the older one gets, the harder it is to find a suitable game to one's taste.
--- End quote ---

This is very true. The more games you try the more you're looking out for that special game that has elements of old games you like + the additions you've always wanted to see implemented in it.

Lately I've been looking for a game where you can play a little less active role as a player.. where you just sit and watch the CPU do stuff.
The most interesting thing I found was saltybet, a site where you watch hundreds of characters face each other in street fighter-like battles on random maps borrowed from all popular fighting games. Every new round you place a bet (with fake cash) for which character you think will win and then you just sit and watch the CPU AI operate both characters. It's quite funny and relaxed, but I guess it too gets old after a bit.
Here's the link: http://www.saltybet.com/

I think there's a market for these kind of games.. now with the current trend to watch ppl play games on YouTube instead of playing them yourself.

Maybe I'm a little overplayed  ;D

But yeh, it's concepts like these that I'm talking about. I wish companies had the ingenuity to take games further than just being 'games'. If you see games as interactive media... there's a lot more possibilities that go beyond the traditional singleplayer or multiplayer setup of 'press A to achieve mission Z'.

Sandbox games & open world games were a true revolution, but IMO they haven't quite reached their potential yet. They have never really gone further than GTA or minecraft.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version