Forums
March 29, 2024, 07:29 AM

Author Topic: Why gaming became worse  (Read 3148 times)

Offline skunk3

Why gaming became worse
« on: September 06, 2018, 08:58 PM »
Everyone is playing their gay ass Rocket League, Fortnite, etc.

This.

It's not our fault, it's the way the world works, the younger generations don't want to copy the same sh*t their predecessors did. Because it's "not cool enough".

So they end up playing easier simple games with no depth like Rocket League, PUBG, Fortnite etc.

I really want to know how gaming got so bad.

Today it sucks. SUCKS!

I'm a life-long gamer and these days there's hardly anything good released. Steam is full of shovelware trash and even the "triple A" games that come out end up sucking balls. The only party that seems to consistently come out with decent games is Nintendo and their platforms, but even Nintendo is slipping a bit. (Breath of the Wild was kinda shit if you ask me.)

IMO Worms is one of the most interesting gaming concepts I've ever come across and for the life of me I cannot figure out why it isn't more popular. I am becoming really disenfranchised with gaming in general because I haven't found ONE single game in a very long time that I consider to be stellar - at least a multiplayer game. All of the MP stuff I come across seems like it MIGHT hold promise at first but I quickly find out it sucks dicks like everything else. At this point I am starting to consider whether gaming is really getting worse or if maybe it is simply losing its appeal as I get older.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 05:26 AM by MonkeyIsland »

Offline TheKaren

Re: Gaming industry
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 10:46 PM »
1 major reason they don't make good games anymore, if they made a game so good everyone only ever wanted to play that, then they wouldn't make any more money in future, so they make games that are really addictive, for a short period of time.

Don't get me started on DLC.

You used to be able to buy a game, and that was it, they couldn't change it, update it, add sh*t etc, those were the greatest days of gaming there will ever be.

Only single player i've ridiculously enjoyed in the past 5-10 years is Borderlands 2, everything else i've played and enjoyed has been multiplayer, right now I am addicted to Warthunder, just love flying planes and dogfights, and it's very historically accurate, and if you are into World War stuff, it's awesome.

Can't deny it gets frustrating grinding out plane modifications and higher tier planes, but when you get a vehicle spaded, it's pretty awesome!

Offline Anubis

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 10:58 PM »
I dunno, I am still having as much fun with gaming as I used to, and I am literally gaming as much as I can. Like 6+ hours a day. I agree that W:A was a very great time but honestly I like that it's done, it's a great if not the best memory in gaming for me and I will visit this forum as "tribute" to see it's final days. I want to salute to W:A when the server eventually will be shut down and just smile and remember it as part of my youth. I will remember some W:A nicknames of users long forgotten by everyone until the day I die.

I played WarThunder for like a year, and also quite a lot of World of Tanks on steam. It's a fun game but I get annoyed by my teams quite fast and thus can't really enjoy it fully for prolonged time. Need breaks in such games. xD

Currently enjoying the WoW expansion and have subbed to it for 6 months. MH: World I have put on hold because there is no G Rank and the endgame is not really there without G-Rank. I hope they will expand on MH: World to become the full experience that I have enjoyed on 3DS (have 300 hours there).

So the consesus about the league is: It's dead and nothing will change that? xD
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:03 PM by Anubis »

Offline Sensei

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 03:11 AM »
1 major reason they don't make good games anymore, if they made a game so good everyone only ever wanted to play that, then they wouldn't make any more money in future

When you were growing up there was no dlc's, microtransactions, p2w systems.. There was no battle passes, rocket passes.. You didn't need to grind 300 hrs just to get items you already paid for. They don't really have a need for "future money" and next titles. Read a bit about DayZ devs.

After playing all those classics that were pillars of gaming industry, ofc you'll hardly be satisfied with anything new.
That's why developers don't aim for 30+yr old men, but for new generations.
Everything is same as always, but expectations are much lower, so as are final products.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 05:17 AM »
I'm so grateful for growing up during the best era of gaming there will ever be, seeing friends I grew up at school with playing Fortnite makes me cringe so much...

People just follow trends, it's lame as f**k!

I've played 336 hours in DayZ, that was all within about 3-4 weeks as well.

I started playing it earlier this year, then they brought out the newer patch, and I absolutely hate it, I cannot stand the new user interface, I loved it the way it was, minus the double carry bug.

I had the most awesome collection of gear and bases on the server I played on, I was basically a TISY tour guide taking people on loot runs by the end, going on hunting trips, I never even killed a single player, although I stalked so many people to make sure they played fair, could have easily got a few hundred kills if I wanted to, but personally wouldn't ruin someones fun like that.

When I get used to something, and grow to love it, and they change it, pisses me off beyond belief... Sure, improve graphics, fix bugs, but why the f**k did they have to change the user interface? And I used to love reading the little messages that popped up saying "I am thirsty", "I am hungry", "My leg is in pain" etc, just like in real life you talk to yourself in your head when you feel/need things.

Quite a few things I didn't like about the new patch, tbh, but I won't go there.

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 07:34 AM »
My 2 cents as a game developer (at least that's what I do at the moment):

As of quality of video games made today, I'd say there are two factors that negatively impact the trend of games:

• game jams (as in "hey guys, I organized a game jam, I invite you all to make half-assed games in a week or two")

While I must agree that participating in a game jam contributes to increased social participation in game development field, it also makes people want a quick fix that leads to making the industry look sorta unprofessional and overcrowded (especially for indie devs). Add a little conspiracy and you can figure out how easy it is to steal a really good game idea during those jams. Personally I'd just stick to making a single game and dedicate enough time to polish the game, but it seems that people have become inpatient.

• grinding, microtransactions...

Honestly until recently I didn't even know a half of those terms and I don't think I need to. About micro-transactions and such, take a look at this site for devs: https://enjincoin.io/

There you'll find how this blockchain technology (recall bitcoin) is going to be used for claiming the ownership of game items, assets etc. I might be a bit conservative in this regard but this seems boring to me (perhaps if I played those kind of games I'd change my mind). I wonder how I'd go about incorporating these technologies in unobtrusive ways...

Offline skunk3

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 08:04 PM »
I'm so grateful for growing up during the best era of gaming there will ever be, seeing friends I grew up at school with playing Fortnite makes me cringe so much...

I started playing it earlier this year, then they brought out the newer patch, and I absolutely hate it, I cannot stand the new user interface, I loved it the way it was, minus the double carry bug.

I had the most awesome collection of gear and bases on the server I played on, I was basically a TISY tour guide taking people on loot runs by the end, going on hunting trips, I never even killed a single player, although I stalked so many people to make sure they played fair, could have easily got a few hundred kills if I wanted to, but personally wouldn't ruin someones fun like that.

When I get used to something, and grow to love it, and they change it, pisses me off beyond belief... Sure, improve graphics, fix bugs, but why the f**k did they have to change the user interface? And I used to love reading the little messages that popped up saying "I am thirsty", "I am hungry", "My leg is in pain" etc, just like in real life you talk to yourself in your head when you feel/need things.

Quite a few things I didn't like about the new patch, tbh, but I won't go there.

There are 672 hours in 4 weeks. 336 hours (of gameplay time) is fully half of that time. Do you not have a job or any sort of a life? I'm not trying to sound insulting here but f@#! man. That's 12 hours of game play every single day for a month straight. If what you've said is true you have a problem.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 11:59 PM »

There are 672 hours in 4 weeks. 336 hours (of gameplay time) is fully half of that time. Do you not have a job or any sort of a life? I'm not trying to sound insulting here but f@#! man. That's 12 hours of game play every single day for a month straight. If what you've said is true you have a problem.

Life is about having fun, if playing video games is your main source of fun you are having a great life. Not everybody loves to follow the normal way of, work, f@#!, have children, retire, die. Your time is so short, nothing you do here has any meaning other than enjoying yourself. You have 70-80 years and that's it, just do what you love and be nice to your fellow humans.

Even if you are an artist, your work will most likely be forgotten sooner than later unless you are the top of a generation like beethoven, michael jackson etc. But most work/art will be forgotten faster than you imagine. And that's artist/celebs, if you are just a normal joe, honestly it doesn't matter what you do. Just have fun.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 12:06 AM by Anubis »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 03:16 AM »

I quit my job around that time, so I had plenty free time, I was literally playing like every day for 8-16 hours.

What do you consider as having a life?

I enjoy spending most of my time playing games, watching entertaining series and films, and dating now and again trying to find someone that likes what I do.

Would rather spend my time indoors talking/chatting/playing games with people I like, rather than being outside with people that kinda piss me off, I constantly see people doing bad things, lying, cheating, being selfish, being manipulative, ganging up on people, bullying, people being racist and bigots.

I enjoy cycling on my bike every few days for an hour around where I live in the spring/summer/autumn.

I used to date/party a lot when I was younger, I used to go clubbing, i've done so many different things in my life, but playing games, making music, watching stuff, is what I enjoy doing most.

Life is hard when you are very compassionate and empathic, when you feel sad and depressed at all the evil in the world but can't do anything about it because nobody f**king cares about it.

I can't get rich and help the world, because I don't want to go down the academic road, and get a boring job that benefits someone else financially more than it helps other people be happy in life.

The only thing I really love doing, that actually has the potential to make people feel pretty awesome, is making music, one day I might become successful and could get a lot of money, and can help spread awareness on many of the things I hold close to my heart.

Until that day, i'll just keep being me, and doing what I enjoy.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 03:51 AM »
There is a vast difference between 'having fun' and 'doing you' and having a problem. Playing video games for 12 hours a day for a month straight is indicative of a serious mental health problem, and I don't say this as a joke or an insult.

Think about it: 24 hours in a day. Slash that in half from the top due to game time. That's 12 hours per day NOT gaming. The average human being sleeps approximately 8 hours per day, but for the sake of charity let's assume 6 hours. That only leaves a person with 6 hours of each day (likely less than that) doing things other than gaming and sleeping. That's only ~6 hours per day spent doing normal, productive things.

I like gaming, but I know a problem when I see one. When my gaming was at its heaviest, I was deeply depressed and had substantial mental health problems.

Personally I feel like there's so many better ways to spend one's time than sitting in front of a screen vegging out. I work, go to school part time, make various kinds of art, read, play other types of games IRL (poker, D&D), do household chores, AND game. I just think it's weird how a lot of people with gaming problems would rather invest more time into 'leveling up' their f@#!ing video game character than 'leveling up' their real life. I can understand being an obsessive gamer somewhat if you're a kid/teenager, but as an adult? No way.

As I said, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here, I'm actually genuinely mildly concerned. People these days need to get away from the computers and tablets and game systems and interact with real life more often.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 05:09 AM »
I have suffered from depression, but that isn't because of playing games, that's because of other people being c**ts/evil!

Let's look at the definition of problem, I just searched dictionary.com:

1)any question or matter involving doubt, uncertainty, or difficulty.
2)a question proposed for solution or discussion.
3)Mathematics. a statement requiring a solution, usually by means of a mathematical operation or geometric construction.
4)difficult to train or guide; unruly: a problem child.
5)Literature. dealing with choices of action difficult either for an individual or for society at large: a problem play.

If I had a family, or was in a relationship with someone, and wasn't giving them enough attention because I was addicted to games, THEN it would be a problem.

If I was not attending things I need to attend, because I was too busy playing games, THEN, it would be a problem.

Just because a guy called skunk3 says it's a problem, does not make it a problem.

Offline HHC

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 10:03 AM »
Aren't we going a lil off topic?  :o

From my point of view, doing 12-16 hours a day gaming sounds like a problem indeed, but at the same time, I don't feel that Komo is an addict, who has a 'problem' with gaming addiction. He's got other things going in his life, things that he probably puts even more effort in than he does into video gaming.

Addiction seems more of a problem for gamers who play games on a really competitive level (as in, they want/need to be the best) or games with an addictive reward system. Worms is not the right place for this atm, to say the least  ;D

Offline MarianRV

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 11:35 AM »
There have been times when I literally had nothing to do and spent like 10 hrs each day gaming for weeks in a row (Witcher 3 is too addictive for its own good), it's not really that unusual.

I guess it's all about whether it still leaves you enough time to properly function as a person. And some people can do just fine with only a few hours

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 03:33 PM »
I don't feel that Komo is an addict, who has a 'problem' with gaming addiction. He's got other things going in his life, things that he probably puts even more effort in than he does into video gaming.

Thanks, it honestly varies from week to week, month to month, sometimes I can go months without gaming, then all of a sudden I wanna play games for months, I love being in control of my life and able to do what I want, without bringing any harm to anyone.

skunk doesn't have the capacity to understand life doesn't revolve around his perspective.

skunk, I am going to have to stop engaging in conversation with you soon, you just don't understand how other people think/feel, but you act like you do, that makes you a dangerous person to hang around.

You constantly make statements without backing them up with any evidence whatsoever.

Most importantly, you haven't even asked the ONE thing all trained professionals ask - "Are you happy?" - Because at the end of the day, that's all that matters, this is MY life, not yours.

Between gaming and sleeping you had a total of MAYBE 6 hours per day to do everything else you need to do in life... cook, eat, shop, socialize, bathe, clean, handle personal business, look for a job, keep in contact with friends and family, and any number of things that don't involve gaming. I think it is safe to assume that you were quite likely not attending to things that you needed to attend to and probably sitting around your abode all stinky and unkempt.

Anyway I hope that you're not still gaming 12 hours a day or anywhere even close to that... for your own sake. Seriously.

What are you basing this on?

Did you create the universe? Did you make up the rules? Do you know the meaning of life?

You are acting like you are some kind of god who should decide how everyone should live.

You should look for a career with the government lol.

May I remind you, that you are the one going around telling people how they should live, you are the problem here, not me.

It's people like you, that make other people depressed, by trying to guilt trip them into living a life, they don't want to live:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

You are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Offline STRGRN

Re: Why gaming became worse
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 08:20 AM »
komodo how dare you call fortnite a simple game with no depth