Forums
April 24, 2024, 02:14 PM

Author Topic: Former Game #235675 (TTL #4), reported by Deadcode  (Read 654 times)

Offline Deadcode

Former Game #235675 (TTL #4), reported by Deadcode
« on: January 24, 2023, 09:52 PM »
vesuvio had a disconnection at the end of this. Given our positions and weapons, it was extremely likely (but not 100% sure) that I would win. vesuvio gave me permission to take the win.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 08:19 AM by MonkeyIsland »

Offline Zalo the moler

Re: Game #235675, reported by Deadcode
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 11:32 PM »
vesuvio had a disconnection at the end of this. Given our positions and weapons, it was extremely likely (but not 100% sure) that I would win. vesuvio gave me permission to take the win.

It was actually extremely likely that you would lose, vesuvio was simply winning there, and yet you still negotiated free win...

At 23:21 vesuvio gets highly favourable wind to Left. He has no choice but to fly with Tobi to 48hph Memory Leak, he kills him with green granade on the left side of head & fall damage (45 + ~6 hp), and he hides down below, exactly where the grave is sitting, having a perfect shelter and being nearly invincible there, even for carpet strike. Instead of Granade he could also try Bow (to left + to right for fall damage),

From now on you have 2 worms to kill. Both of them can kill you, since Jule has pigeon that would fly through. You can only kill Tobi, if you somehow get a favourable wind for your parachute. If you don't, then you cannot block him in any way whatsoever. Jule can also kill you any time with telecide. I would say that it was vesuvio who should be given free win if anyone.

It makes me wonder how many free wins have been out there, apart from you attempting to get Gold medal through free win even in TTL Play Offs final.

Offline Deadcode

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 12:57 AM »
It was actually extremely likely that you would lose, vesuvio was simply winning there, and yet you still negotiated free win...

At 23:21 vesuvio gets highly favourable wind to Left. He has no choice but to fly with Tobi to 48hph Memory Leak, he kills him with green granade on the left side of head & fall damage (45 + ~6 hp), and he hides down below, exactly where the grave is sitting, having a perfect shelter and being nearly invincible there, even for carpet strike. Instead of Granade he could also try Bow (to left + to right for fall damage),

From now on you have 2 worms to kill. Both of them can kill you, since Jule has pigeon that would fly through. You can only kill Tobi, if you somehow get a favourable wind for your parachute. If you don't, then you cannot block him in any way whatsoever. Jule can also kill you any time with telecide. I would say that it was vesuvio who should be given free win if anyone.

It makes me wonder how many free wins have been out there, apart from you attempting to get Gold medal through free win even in TTL Play Offs final.

My decision to count this as a win was based on a very quick analysis of the situation. In the time following that, I felt a nagging feeling that it was the wrong decision.

So before even seeing that you wrote a reply here, I did an extensive analysis, and decided that it was not anywhere near to as likely a win as I had thought when giving it a quick look.

I doubt you'll believe me given your track record and general attitude, but I was going to ask MonkeyIsland to delete this win regardless of if anybody had replied here. I expect now you'll believe I'm only doing this now because you wrote a reply, but it has nothing to do with your reply (and I haven't even read your reply yet, except for its first and last sentences).

Offline Deadcode

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 01:08 AM »
It makes me wonder how many free wins have been out there

I could say the same of all the disconnected replays you never reported being free draws. At least I report mine, and they can be reviewed by anybody who wants to. Yours are locked away, likely never to be uploaded anywhere.

And I replied in the thread here to make it stand out and allow other people to review the replay and keep me honest, in case I didn't do more more extensive analysis of the replay myself, or did so but came to the same decision of treating it as a win. It's just disappointing that it ended up being you, because you have demonstrated many times that you have a very bad attitude.

apart from you attempting to get Gold medal through free win even in TTL Play Offs final.
Are you talking about the most recent playoff, between me and vesuvio? In typical Zalo fashion you are being extremely disingenuous. I was very reluctant to take a free win on that; it was a last resort, and I really preferred to play it out. Also it was Senator who first told me I could get a "free win" on this, in a private message on Discord; my "attempting" to take a free win was after that:

did you suggest vesuvio some date and time?
it seems like he doesn't like to commit to a date and a time although he plays every day. he plays when he feels like..
I could give you a technical win but that sucks
vesuvio and I, and Komito and KRD, then made the arrangement at 2023-01-12 21:33:12 UTC that vesuvio and I would play the playoff at 2023-01-15 19:00:00 UTC, with Komito streaming and KRD commentating. vesuvio confirmed at 2023-01-14 12:49:03 UTC that he'd be able to make it. He then told me at 2023-01-15 16:26:06 that he got drunk, and a couple minutes later said in the Discord CWA #ttl channel that he couldn't play the playoff that day.
I think I have to take the free win :-( vesuvio had plenty of time to be ready for this, but he chose to get drunk instead... do you guys think I should let him reschedule?
To his credit, at 16:47:59 (about 12 minutes after the immediately-above quote) vesuvio agreed to play despite being drunk. Komito was furious even still, and almost cancelled the streaming, but we all managed to convince him to stream as scheduled. And I think next time, vesuvio will not make the mistake of drinking before his scheduled playoff.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 02:03 AM by Deadcode »

Offline Deadcode

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 02:32 AM »
For the record, here's what my analysis boiled down to:

He kills my worm that is out in the open, with a pretty easy Bazooka shot, thus conserving his much more valuable Homing Pigeon, and keeping enough of the girder to allow "Tobi" to climb up/left on a future turn. He retreats out of range of most types of strikes and most other weapons.

I place a Girder at 24:39 that prevents his worm "Tobi" from being able to get over to my worm with any wind other than -10 (full blue wind). Because if I killed "*Jule" with one of my strikes, it'd be quite likely "Tobi" would be able to get over and kill me on the next turn. And to kill "Tobi" reliably, I'd need to move my worm into a much more vulnerable position (or use my rope).

(On the other hand, if I used my rope, and avoided collecting the leftmost crate, I would have time to use the Shotgun to win immediately. But I very much doubt I would have taken the chance on this "rope and hope" move, and even if I did, I might not have had the forethought to avoid collecting the leftmost crate to save time.)

He places a Girder that counters that, allowing his worm "Tobi" to get to me with any wind not further to the right than +1 red wind.

I fire a Carpet Bomb on my turn that begins at 25:18, and what this ends up doing is crucial to the outcome of the game. This attack can remove the possibility of his being able to get over to my worm with any wind if I'm lucky, but it can also fail to do that, in which case he can get to my worm with any wind of +1 red or further left (i.e., with +2 to +10 red he still wouldn't be able to get to me). Or if I'm only moderately lucky, the Carpet Bomb can make it so that he needs some fairly strong blue wind to get to me. I haven't yet calculated the odds on this, but it's clearly not going to be a high enough chance of a win for me to have the disconnection counted as my win. (Especially if you also consider that it would be possible for me to aim the Carpet Bomb badly and not even kill "*Jule" with it, though with the aim I tried first, and most of the aims I tried thereafter, it was guaranteed to at least kill that one worm regardless of randomness, because one of the two leftmost carpets scores a direct hit before bouncing.)

vesuvio's disconnection was at 23:21, so the following replays pick up at that point:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 08:22 AM by Deadcode »