Forums
April 19, 2024, 02:52 PM

Author Topic: What about draws?  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Peja

What about draws?
« on: December 29, 2016, 11:48 AM »
Am i forced to play a rematch after my league game ended in a draw?  Rules just say i need to play the pick, the pick is kinda finished once the game ends.
It feels like a total waste of time to play 3 full Team 17 games in a row to gain louzy 30 points while you play over an hour. Sadly some players prefer this playstyle, even more sad, is them being supported by a specific mod  :P
Would it be possible to add draws to the league and just divide the points each player would win through 3 or 4?
This could save some time and reward players if they achieve a draw with a good player. As long as we keep the current system, the draw will always favor the better player. I think it should be the other way around.

Offline TheKomodo

Re: What about draws?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 12:14 PM »
Great idea but wouldn't work this way:

Would it be possible to add draws to the league and just divide the points each player would win through 3 or 4?

Remember it's ELO system, so you are taking points from your opponent, or losing them to your opponent.

So if you draw, well, technically nothing would happen?

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 04:23 PM »
If the game is a draw, it should be considered played in my opinion.  Rematching after a draw should be optional rather than mandatory.  The most anyone should be obligated to play at any time should be 1 game, not 2 t17 games and 1:30 of game time. 

Dunno about the points part though.

Offline avirex

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 10:36 PM »
dunno if points are needed...all though, i do see peja's point...

just the work involved for MI to recode everything (i would imagine its a lot, dunno) im not sure is worth it...

but i agree with peja, and walrus... the rules are to play the pick... if its a draw, if everyone agrees they can RM...  change pick... or just end as a draw, and move to others teams pick.

because i agree... its rly frustrating to play t17 for an hour, then have to rematch over it, if not for a 3rd time. especially if your the kind of guy that was not too interested in playing it the first game.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 10:52 PM »
Sometimes in WO tourneys when it was t17 tourney, many times we just played a rematch, just starting 1 or 2 turns before SD.
That`s save time, but im agree with Peja and walrus about that pick is played if it happens a draw

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 11:09 PM »
Remember it's ELO system, so you are taking points from your opponent, or losing them to your opponent.

No, that's not how the Éló system works. Basically, it uses a formula to determine from your rating and your opponents rating what your predicted result would be (anything in between 0 and 1). It then deducts that from the score you actually got and multiplies that with a fixed number (different for every league, it's called the K factor). The number you get then if the change in your rating.

Example (let's take a K factor of 30, which is standard in chess - I'm guessing TUS uses a higher number)
If I were to play against a really good player, the expected result would be 0.12 (in 100 games, I'd win 12 and lose the rest, so to speak).

I win: 1-0.12 = +0.88, so the rating change will be 30*0.88 = +26.4
I lose: 0-0.12 = -0.12, so the rating change will be 30*-0.12 = -3.6
I draw: 0.5-0.12 = +0.38, so the rating change will be 30*0.38 = +11.4

The opponent's expected result would be 0.88, so you can do the same calculations to get to that person's rating change:
I win: 30*(0-0.88)= -26.4
I lose: 30*(1-0.88) = +3.6
I draw: 30*(0.5-0.88) = -11.4

The bigger the k factor, the bigger the rating change will be (though considering every calculation uses the same k factor, it doesn't really matter how high it is)

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 12:30 AM »
It was my fault for rushing that post, I know how ELO calculates results with that, but I never took into consideration how it would work for a draw.

Why don't we implement this for draws then? I think it would really help :)

Offline Husk

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 06:16 AM »

No, that's not how the Éló system works. Basically, it uses a formula to determine from your rating and your opponents rating what your predicted result would be (anything in between 0 and 1). It then deducts that from the score you actually got and multiplies that with a fixed number (different for every league, it's called the K factor). The number you get then if the change in your rating.

Example (let's take a K factor of 30, which is standard in chess - I'm guessing TUS uses a higher number)
If I were to play against a really good player, the expected result would be 0.12 (in 100 games, I'd win 12 and lose the rest, so to speak).

I win: 1-0.12 = +0.88, so the rating change will be 30*0.88 = +26.4
I lose: 0-0.12 = -0.12, so the rating change will be 30*-0.12 = -3.6
I draw: 0.5-0.12 = +0.38, so the rating change will be 30*0.38 = +11.4

The opponent's expected result would be 0.88, so you can do the same calculations to get to that person's rating change:
I win: 30*(0-0.88)= -26.4
I lose: 30*(1-0.88) = +3.6
I draw: 30*(0.5-0.88) = -11.4

The bigger the k factor, the bigger the rating change will be (though considering every calculation uses the same k factor, it doesn't really matter how high it is)

that is very good post, i was gonna post very short version yesterday but was tired... mentioning the third options incase of example long game of t17 draw: in this lower rating winning 11.4 points and higher rating player losing 11.4 points

or just no report.. xD

but yeah there's not many draws in tfl... so I wudn't know

Offline Senator

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 10:40 AM »
This thread is more about hate for T17 :D Better fix T17 before this happens cos it's so easy to force a draw in T17. In Roper you may play a perfect game and if you don't sui for a draw, the opponent wins. So you could lose points for playing a perfect game.. I like this idea for TTRR tho ;D

Offline Hussar

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 11:07 AM »
Its so easy to fix the scheme.
For example just add 1 homing to the inventory.
No big deal.

Offline Husk

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 11:20 AM »
or make going on roof legal xD

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 03:44 PM »
cos it's so easy to force a draw in T17.
You just articulated why I shouldnt have to play a second t17 pick after the first is a draw

Offline avirex

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 10:37 PM »
This thread is more about hate for T17 :D Better fix T17 before this happens cos it's so easy to force a draw in T17. In Roper you may play a perfect game and if you don't sui for a draw, the opponent wins. So you could lose points for playing a perfect game.. I like this idea for TTRR tho ;D

is every ones post about hate for t17... or is your post about love for t17??

can you really say after playing a scheme for 1 hour, and it turning into a draw (in about 50% of t17 games) that if someone has no desire to rematch that game, they hate the scheme?? 

i agree... the scheme could/should be fixed.

but as peja pointed out, the rules say you have to play the opponents pick... a draw = played... no rules say you absolutely have to play a rematch in draw games.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 11:12 PM »
Interesting dynamic there avi.

I've never seen 2 players (or more often clans) agree that a draw settles a match.

I can't remember if players agreed to draws back when DoNs were played.

If a draw became a legit way to settle a pick it would completely change an underdog's tactics.

Not saying that it is wrong, it might make better players play more aggressively actually...

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 11:51 PM »
So it's possible to draw in every scheme except BnG since that has anchored worms and no telecide allowed.

I guess the schemes most likely for someone to force a draw would be Team17 and Hysteria? At least those are the ones i've saw the most draws in the past 3-4 years or so.

It happens in other schemes also, but most people enjoy playing another Roper or WxW or Elite, even Hysteria(for most, I know some hate it though) don't they?

Would I be correct in assuming Team17 is the scheme most people dread rematching because of a draw?

I really like this idea of a draw, not having to play the rematch, and still scoring points against someone better than you, I would consider that respectable then you might even have time to play 2 more fresh picks?

I've thought of a possible drawback here, 2 players could agree to draw some games to gain a few points/wins, which could possibly have an influence on Playoffs, what do you think of that?