Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:46 AM

Author Topic: What is the license of uploaded maps?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Xrayez

What is the license of uploaded maps?
« on: March 12, 2018, 12:27 PM »
I want to integrate some of the maps in my potentially commercial product, namely for implementing missions almost like in Worms series. I'm not talking about Team17's maps and themes, but rather maps made by community. Would I have to contact each individual author?

Online Sensei

Re: What is the license of uploaded maps?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 01:37 PM »
Don't try anything silly xrayez, or I'll sue you!

Yeah, cmon, who cares. Use whatever you want, they're all posted in public :)

Offline HHC

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 02:25 PM »
Use a disclaimer?

I would only ask permission for maps that look professional and took a buttload of work, like those of MnP for example. More basic maps.. just put a disclaimer somewhere in the game about these maps being in public domain and used with assumed approval.. (and if people don't agree they can contact you, etc.).

Or settle for really basic maps that you make yourself  :-[

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 02:59 PM »
Yeah, cmon, who cares. Use whatever you want, they're all posted in public :)

I want to play it as safe as possible. I'm far from legal technicalities, but I'm starting to take this stuff into account.

I would only ask permission for maps that look professional and took a buttload of work, like those of MnP for example.

The basic maps are too simplistic so I'd rather make such maps myself honestly. What I'm looking for is exactly those candy neat looking maps, like this one :)

Offline HHC

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 03:06 PM »
The basic maps are too simplistic so I'd rather make such maps myself honestly. What I'm looking for is exactly those candy neat looking maps, like this one :)

In that case I would definitely ask permission, cause it's a re-do of a Team17 map  :D
https://www.tus-wa.com/maps/map-10740/

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 03:10 PM »
Yep, that's what I'm talking about! I could easily stumble upon even on marginally copyrighted material that way.  :D