Forums
March 28, 2024, 01:40 PM

Poll

Do you give money/goods to beggars?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Beggars  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Kradie

Beggars
« on: December 02, 2019, 05:45 PM »
In Norway, there's ton of organized crime among beggars. Many of whom which are from Romania. They can be overweight, and aggressive when they beg for your money. It makes myself feel uncomfortable and cringy. But what are your thought on handing some cash out to beggars? How does it make you feel? Are you ok with it?  Do you care?  I personally don't.

Is waiting for a begging pun from Sensei.  :D
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Thewolensheep

• The MEGA retard.

• United States United States
  • A f@$!%$! loser.
    • View Profile
Re: Beggars
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 08:15 PM »
The problem with Beggars is that you don't know thier intentions. Are they using the money for thier cause? Are they just using it to buy drugs? We don't know so that's why i don't give them money.
Creates soundbanks and other s!@t.

Offline HHC

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 09:40 PM »
Those beggars you speak of are not homeless people, they are criminals.

Open borders, huzzah!  ;D

Offline skunk3

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 05:12 PM »
I used to give people money and whatnot but I learned over the years that it's not a good idea to do that because people become reliant upon it and expect it. If these people were really that desperate they could go to a shelter and stay, look for jobs, etc. The ONLY thing I will give beggars is food, and most of the time I won't even do that because on more than one occasion I've seen people throw away what I gave them. I just straight-up ignore bums anymore... I walk on past and pretend like I don't see / hear them, and as soon as they start talking to me I just wave my hand, shake my head, and walk on. Get a job.

Offline KinslayeR

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 05:25 PM »
How about go to shop and buy them food , instead of give them moneys knowing they  spend it on vodka.   But maybe they need vodka more than food? maybe.
Anyway I stopped to  give them moneys  when I met some polish students pretended to be beggers,  so they sayd they reach 100-200 euro / day on beg, so why not, f@#! the job , lets go beg

Offline Kradie

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 05:57 PM »
To give alcohol and other addictive substances to beggars isn't really helpful in their case. It could make their situation much worse. We shouldn't beg for money, I find it.... Shameful for some reasons.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 07:01 PM »
You should never give money/goods to beggars. Human beings tend to repeat their successful experiences. For example, when someone lies about something, it simply means they have lied before and it worked for them. Now lying is in their behavior arsenal. Same pattern goes for beggars, when you give them stuff, you are enabling them to do it more. We repeat what "works". If you like to help people by giving something, pay more to people who do a service for you. Tip your taxi driver; tip your plumber; tip your postman.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline KinslayeR

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 07:27 PM »
Tip your taxi driver; tip your plumber; tip your postman.

Or just send it to my bank account

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 02:29 AM »
>Now lying is in their behavior arsenal. Same pattern goes for beggars, when you give them stuff, you are enabling them to do it more

Are you saying people will stop begging and somehow lift themselves out of poverty if we all stop giving them a few bucks? Having no resources is what got them there in the first place, making them even more desperate is going to lead to them stealing to survive, or just straight up dying. Punishing people economically never leads to them picking themselves up by the bootstraps, it just inflicts pain.

What really gets people out of poverty is having massive, publicly funded educational opportunities, housing, healthcare, food stamps, etc. Tossing them a sandwich won't change their overall trajectory much, but we should do it because at least it will keep them fed.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 07:51 AM »
I've never been to US. Maybe beggars in there are different. But the ones I've seen in the Middle east, even the ones I've seen in Brussels were the same. It seems to me, you haven't seen begging get out of hand. You see some unfortunate people and your natural response is empathy. Empathy is what beggars feed on.

A common misconception about beggars is that they don't like doing it. Nobody does! If they could get enough, they would eventually quit it.  Most of them don't. Whatever you repeat, no matter how nasty it might be, you'll get used to it and you'll get numb. By the time you get enough to quit, it's already too late. There's beggars mafia here. Much worse in India. Even in Brussels I used to see the same beggars in a specific street every time I passed one. It was as if it is a job and that street is their work place.

What really gets people out of poverty is having massive, publicly funded educational opportunities, housing, healthcare, food stamps, etc

Yes please! The government should have a program for that.

Tossing them a sandwich won't change their overall trajectory much, but we should do it because at least it will keep them fed.

Giving them food, yes. Specially to children. But never money or anything that could be seen as an income.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline HHC

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 08:23 PM »
There's beggars mafia here.

That's the kind I'm talking about. These 'Romanians' Kradie speaks of are criminals.
Got them over here as well. Begging is part of the deal. As is the 'hugging' trick, where a good-looking female hugs you for no apparent reason or comes up with some fake good cause to get you to pull your wallet. Also had a woman going round with a poorly printed form for handicapped parking places going 'round for people's bank account info and shit like that.

The only beggars I trust are Dutch beggars. 'Romanian' beggars who have travelled all the way to Norway ... well that itself should make you think  ;D

Easy rule:
If the beggar doesn't look like an alcoholic and doesn't reek of urine.. it's not the real deal and you can dismiss 'em. If they meet the criteria.. offer them food. If they deny, f* 'em. If they accept.. give them twofold.  :)

Offline Hussar

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 09:25 AM »
Imagine to send all beggars on one isle; curious how would look the society which they have build over a ten years.
How leader would look llike and for example social stages and kind of law.

But for serious - never give em cash;
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 09:37 AM by Hussar »