Forums
March 29, 2024, 10:30 AM

Author Topic: Webysteria - fast-paced artillery and roping game  (Read 13747 times)

Offline Tomi

Re: Yet another clone of worms
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 06:15 AM »
Wow, very nice job! :O

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 11:41 AM »
Looks cool m8! Would be fun to do some multiplayer at this.

Yeah, I'm planning to add multiplayer support, but the game architecture needs to be rewritten for this which takes more effort than expected. The problem comes from attempting to synchronize game states efficiently across network and having consistent and deterministic destructible terrain and physics. I'll probably go for peer-to-peer architecture (which I suspect W:A is currently implemented) which can be extended to client-server via "HostingBuddy" easily. Currently I've created a lobby through which you can communicate and start a game on a predefined map (merely as a proof of concept):

Another big challenge that I will face is creating replay subsystem...

I'm finishing university this year and I think I'm gonna dedicate far more resources on this. This is why I'm sharing with you what I've done so far, perhaps some folks would be interested in the development process (making sprites, sound effects and what not), because I'm mostly proficient in programming rather than other aspects of game development. And who is more knowledgeable about W:A's special gameplay if not you.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 02:24 PM by Xrayez »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 12:30 AM »
Great stuff!

I need to replace those sound effects ASAP so I could probably stream the development at Twitch freely.

Just get in touch on Discord, tell me what you need :)

Offline Xrayez

Re: Developing a game similar to Worms
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 02:32 PM »
Hey guys, great news! I know that a lot of you are roping junkies, so I took some time to improve the rope (both the mechanics and texturing) and decided to show it off.

PNG map by Nullum - https://www.tus-wa.com/maps/map-2144/

I haven't performed advanced rope tricks presented in the map because some of them are difficult, and some I just skipped because those were impossible to pull-off with the current mechanics which need to be refined through configuring proper physics properties, therefore I'm not quite satisfied with it yet. The "pump" feeling is there, but not consistent.

Rope pushing/pulling affects the character after rope is detached, which tends to mess up with rope scrolls, but I'm not sure whether it's just a thing of the habit or simply new mechanism. This can be partially observed in the Cannonball trick at 0:58 which created massive pump that might be inappropriate in some cases. All-in-all, I'm aiming to create consistent rope mechanics at the very least.

Offline HHC

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 03:12 PM »
looks good rayez, the gravity has a slightly bitter impact than in WA, but overall, it's already better than the W:R one.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 05:12 PM »
Looks almost the same as W:A rope man. Good job.
I hope you set different camera options. After roping few years without ctrl+home, this video makes me dizzy.

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 05:36 PM »
looks good rayez, the gravity has a slightly bitter impact than in WA, but overall, it's already better than the W:R one.
Looks almost the same as W:A rope man. Good job.
I hope you set different camera options. After roping few years without ctrl+home, this video makes me dizzy.

Thanks! Yeah, camera customization won't be an issue. Here I'm just using engine's default parameters. But I've seen another issue with using default camera implementation, namely disappearing pixels, because apparently the camera works in-between pixel coordinates and those parts get clipped, so snapping to pixel coordinates would be a solution.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 10:40 PM »
Rope looks good, I would be interested in testing the rope in-depth so send me a PM if I can participate. :)

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2018, 06:26 AM »
Amazing job, Xrayez!
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 06:39 AM »
How is it that x did a better job with the rope than the WMD design team.....

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 08:19 AM »
Rope looks good, I would be interested in testing the rope in-depth so send me a PM if I can participate. :)

I'll probably let the testing part going in the late Alpha stage of development where all the features are present (but not necessarily complete). Testing at the current stage is kinda pointless because I'm already aware of some bugs and most of the stuff (including rope) is subject to change or requires more tweaking. I need to figure out how to encrypt the binary as well. I'll let you know when I'm ready nonetheless.  :)

I was thinking of creating a dedicated devblog of some sort so I could communicate with people and provide either closed or open testing.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 01:00 PM »
Just noticed 0:29 part of the video.
This is just for testing physics or your game will be based on something like rubberworm command ldet?

Object droped on the floor but still was able to attach left like it was in mid air.

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 03:45 PM »
Just noticed 0:29 part of the video.
This is just for testing physics or your game will be based on something like rubberworm command ldet?

Object droped on the floor but still was able to attach left like it was in mid air.

I didn't consider introducing the notion of turn or losing turn yet, but again, this could be implemented the same way, no plans about this yet. As you mentioned, Rubberworm and ProjectX features would be really nice to have already built into the game core indeed.

Tbh, I don't see the point to copy W:A exactly as it is, though W:A's concepts are really powerful. I don't want it to turn into a complex, giant game with over 9000 weapons either, and with procedural everything  :D

Overcustomization must be avoided in my opinion. This will turn the game of skill into the game of luck.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 05:42 AM »
We do have lots of weapons/tools in worms, but we don't play Full wormage.

Providing the ability to customize almost everything would make your project a "game engine" rather than "a game".
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 12:07 PM »
Overcustomization must be avoided in my opinion. This will turn the game of skill into the game of luck.

I don't think ppl would be installing and sticking to W:A after 20 years if game only had schemes such as ttrr, bng, elite. Variety and customization is there for a reason. And as MI said, no one forces you to play full wormage.