Forums
March 28, 2024, 09:39 PM

Author Topic: Webysteria - fast-paced artillery and roping game  (Read 13734 times)

Offline TheWalrus

Re: Developing a game similar to Worms
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Overcustomization must be avoided in my opinion. This will turn the game of skill into the game of luck.
You can tell this guy played a lot of BnG, preaching to the choir.

I'm pretty excited for your game, x.  Physics already look better than hedgewars.

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2018, 08:31 PM »
Xrayez alone > whole T17.

I hope the game not gonna ask for something like Core i9, 2x1080ti and 32Gb RAM  :D

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2018, 10:21 PM »
This project looks amazing. Could be the future of Worms right here!

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Well, he did say "over" ;)

Looks fantastic Xrayez, i'm kinda struggling with the sound effects in the sense, i'm too critical of myself lol, it's a Worms thing, it has to be perfect, this could take a LONG time :)

Although I am sure we will both be proud of our work when finished :)

Figuratively bursting with excitement waiting to try out BnG!

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Well, he did say "over" ;)

Looks fantastic Xrayez, i'm kinda struggling with the sound effects in the sense, i'm too critical of myself lol, it's a Worms thing, it has to be perfect, this could take a LONG time :)

Although I am sure we will both be proud of our work when finished :)

Figuratively bursting with excitement waiting to try out BnG!

I understand when you say you want to make it perfect, but what I'd really like are sound effect placeholders that would fit just fine, because literally anything is subject to change. You can actually make some semi-decent samples and I'll take that for now. But take your time of course if you feel like it.

Regarding timelines, I don't have them. If you ask me when it's going to be finished, I'll say: "When it's ready". This is a university project that has turned out quite well, and we'll see how it goes. If I were to estimate the time needed to finish the game, it would take 3 more years (taking into account the time needed to learn new stuff) :D My skill set grows with each development iteration nonetheless. External help, new developers, outsourcing and (crowd)funding would speed up the progress I think.

Regarding BnG, I made some progress optimizing map deformation, previously it was quite slow. I really need to get this down and well tested... It's getting a bit boring to solve the same technical problems over and over, can't wait to program actual gameplay, but I need to remain patient.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:37 PM by Xrayez »

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2018, 10:16 AM »
Hello guys, I've finally graduated and ready to start working on the project more diligently!

For the past month I've been working on a game editor which adds ability and potential for some nice customization:

As you can see, one can easily create and modify the whole game world, with ability to create a world from an image, as well as changing how it looks like, all in real-time
The scheme editor is something different from what you got used to in W:A. Namely, it allows you to actually create game rules that are handled by the game itself! No more unspoken rules please  :D

There aren't many game properties exposed to the scheme editor, but it's just a matter of work now.

Not sure how far I should go with customization abilities, but at least I'll simplify the scheme editor (icons instead of text) so that it will be quite easy to create unique gameplays.

Hope to hear some feedback on what can be improved and added, thanks.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2018, 10:23 AM »
Bounces on 2:14 and 2:18 seems quite awkward after playing so much W:A.
But probably more realistic..

Offline Xrayez

Re: Developing a game inspired by W:A
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2018, 03:26 PM »
so it's just easier to write it all from scratch with the proper architecture. ???

Speaking of which, how is your project coming along?

Do you have footage you can send me so I can start making some audio?

Yeah, I'm in the process of transforming/changing the main theme/character, when it's fairly established I'll shoot a video and post here. Need to translate existing code for character mechanics atm.

Offline Xrayez

Re: Webysteria - fast-paced artillery and roping game
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Presenting main character! (call him Mr. Web?)

"Roping" much improved, scenery gets more color and background as well, leg walking animation needs refinement to be in sync...

Komito: the sound effects you hear in the video are placeholders, although some of them I like. If you can improve upon those, I'll appreciate that!

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2018, 11:04 AM »

The only missing thing here is rope attachment to a moving landscape.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2018, 11:07 AM »
This looks amazing Xrayez!!!!!!!

I love the character, will you have a selection of characters or just 1? It's pretty cool the way he walks around then curls up into a ball to rope around, what does he look like when he jumps?

Yeah I like some of the sounds as well, they could be improved on maybe, the sound when you bounce off a wall or object is a bit dull, the sound of the rope firing is really cool it actually sounds webby which suits the spider, the sound of the rope connecting is loud and clear but a bit boring, although it would make a great f**king layer of a snare in a song :D

The sound of the weapon firing is cool as well although it's possibly a tad too alarming or something but a really cool regardless it kinda sounds like a UFO taking off or something to me lol.

The roping actually looks really cool, it looks harder to rope at a very fast pace like you can in w2/wa/wwp but waaaay better than any other game Team17 have made, and it has a few differences that make it interesting as well :)

Your progress is amazing dude :)

Offline Anubis

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2018, 11:21 AM »
Incredible, and a big facepalm to Team17 that are unable to do what a single dude can replicate. This looks way better than any try of new Team 17 era. It's so stupid how incompetent they are. Keep working on it! We could even kickstart this maybe we can get a few hundreds of dollar to help you!

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2018, 11:35 AM »
The only missing thing here is rope attachment to a moving landscape.

Haha thanks yeah I avoided it on purpose because it was buggy but it's fairly possible to attach rope to rigid objects.

I love the character, will you have a selection of characters or just 1? It's pretty cool the way he walks around then curls up into a ball to rope around, what does he look like when he jumps?

It was already a challenge to develop a working implementation of a spider with all the states he can be in... I was thinking about a snail as a secondary character though which could be more easily implemented... he would have on-land artillery advantage over a spider.

The spider can jump, but the animation is lacking. Spider's legs just adjust to the environment currently.

The sound of the weapon firing is cool as well although it's possibly a tad too alarming or something but a really cool regardless it kinda sounds like a UFO taking off or something to me lol.

Yes, a bit too alien to me as well, but it was funny enough to include it!
I used this tool to generated sounds easily, you can try and play with it - https://jfxr.frozenfractal.com/

The roping actually looks really cool, it looks harder to rope at a very fast pace like you can in w2/wa/wwp but waaaay better than any other game Team17 have made, and it has a few differences that make it interesting as well :)

Practice makes perfect, the mechanics are close to W:A's one (or even W2), but it may be that I haven't yet mastered it :D

Incredible, and a big facepalm to Team17 that are unable to do what a single dude can replicate. This looks way better than any try of new Team 17 era. It's so stupid how incompetent they are. Keep working on it! We could even kickstart this maybe we can get a few hundreds of dollar to help you!

Thanks, I appreciate your willingness to help out financially, I should research this option and get the financial side figured out... The money could go for hosting a dedicated/matchmaking server for instance. I can always test networking locally but real case is always better.

Offline Jengu

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2018, 03:10 PM »
The roping mechanics have improved a lot since your first video. Did you write a new implementation or did you just play around with the existing parameters?

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2018, 03:29 PM »
The roping mechanics have improved a lot since your first video. Did you write a new implementation or did you just play around with the existing parameters?

The previous implementation used built-in engine's capacities that I was not completely satisfied with due to "too realistic" physics simulation (friction and bouncing calculation was impeding the pump feeling). This time I've managed to write my own physics integrator for this particular mechanic while being able to use the built-in physics engine. Since then I've played with various parameters and fine tuned it. The code behind it looks somewhat funky but it works!